The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How Much Flax is Too Much?

I currently have both of my horses on 1/2 dose of TriSport and a dose of SmartHoof, both of which contain flax. I have been VERY happy with this combo.

My horses are on dry lot, and after reading some of the threads on Vitamin E, I am also considering adding a 1/2 dose of Selen-AT, also by HorseTech.

Would three flax based supplements be too much? It seems that all of the supplements I am happiest with contain flax!

Thanks!

You should be fine with 3 flax based supplements.

I had a very detailed feeding chart when I was at the track. I wanted it to be so specific that anyone could fill in for me and figure it out. I had a scoop in everything so there was no guessing which scoop went with what. Somehow the little two ounce scoop didn't get put back in the flax bag so they thought I meant the three quart scoop! The horses at most of it but not all which was how I figured it out when I got back. No of them suffered any ill effects.

Flax seeds are phosphorous rich, so there is the possibility that high intake could throw off calcium/phosphorous ratio. I *think* it starts to be an issue when feeding more than 5 or 6 ounces flax seeds per day on an ongoing basis.
    Last edited by Barnfairy; Sep. 15, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

I feed about a cup a day of whole flax with no ill effects, just reduced itchiness during the summer and much nicer coats in the winter. I feed a decent amount of alfalfa and some un-fortified rice bran too, and I've balanced out the Ca and P. The ratio is still fine with the alfalfa.

I've read somewhere that up to a 1lb a day is ok. That is 16 oz by weight. My horse gets 9oz by weight a day, he is on a high Ca diet (all alfalfa and beet pulp) so it helps balance that out.

Thanks everyone! Combined I will probably only be feeding around 2.5 ounces (and that includes the other ingredients), so it doesn't sound like it will be an issue. Hopefully, that won't be enough phosphorus to be a problem either, because they are on straight grass hay, not alfalfa.

Quote Originally Posted by newhorsemommy View Post
    Thanks everyone! Combined I will probably only be feeding around 2.5 ounces (and that includes the other ingredients), so it doesn't sound like it will be an issue. Hopefully, that won't be enough phosphorus to be a problem either, because they are on straight grass hay, not alfalfa.
    You would have to feed a ton more than even a cup or two a day for it to really make a difference. Think about how much hay and feed most horses eat (by weight) and then compare that to how much flax is generally fed, even for those of us who feed a lot. Its really insignificant. If you're worried, throw him a handful of alfalfa pellets a day.

I just read on Dr. Valentine's blog about EPSM horses that anything over 1 cup of flax daily is irritating to the intestines. Never have heard this before.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com