The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Frustrated! Really could use some help?

My mares hindlegs are STOCKED UP equally---Has been this way for 4 days. Walking and cold hosing does bring them down a bit. They are warm to the touch. No abrasions or cuts.

Can tell mare isn't feeling great. Quickest vet could get my mare in is next Friday. (If I want want to go in with her--and I do).

Any ideas of what could be going on with her?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

noodles

No thoughts, but I'd be finding a new vet if it was me.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Does she have a fever? Could be hoary alyssum. I would look it up and check pastures/hay for it. If it is hoary alyssum, you need a vet ASAP, as the minor symptoms can actually progress to founder. We had a few horses down here that had to be put down last year because of it.

No fever....

What is hoary alyssum?

help and thanks

It could be any number of things, the most likely of which would be a virus I would think. What is her temp?

Keep a VERY close eye on her temp. Erlychia tick borne disease can start out with them stocking up behind, then they usually develop high temp. If it does get a vet out immediately so you can start Doxy.

There is a virus around here that seems to get passed around from barn to barn occasionally. The only symptoms seem to be stocked up legs and lethargy--most of the horses that catch it do not run a temperature. We walk and cold hose and the horses are always back to normal within a week or so.

Hopefully your horse has something like this and not something serious!

Also-- that kind of a wait time to see my vet for something potentially serious would be completely unacceptable for me.

Mares temp is 100.7

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No thoughts, but I'd be finding a new vet if it was me.
    Sounded to me like the OP could have the horse seen sooner, but it doesn't fit *her* schedule.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Yes, mare can get in Monday but I work....and can't get fired. I want to be there....I don't fully trust someone else to take her....

Doesn't your vet do after hours emergencies? Mine comes to my house regardless of time (i.e. after I get off work or weekend) if I say it is an emergency or if I say it's not really an emergency but I am willing to pay the emergency fee. Swollen legs could be something serious especially if the mare isn't acting right.
    You could try sweat wraps (furacin, saran wrap, bandage for 8 hours then wash off). If just random "heat" swelling that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by upgiddyup View Post
    You could try sweat wraps (furacin, saran wrap, bandage for 8 hours then wash off). If just random "heat" swelling that will work.

In the absence of a diagnosis, this would be inadvisable.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Sounded to me like the OP could have the horse seen sooner, but it doesn't fit *her* schedule.
    Ah, yes, I see. No further comment, then.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Yeah, definitely make room in your schedule for the vet to come. One of my guys had similar symptoms and it turned out to be erlichia. He got VERY sick. Thankfully after only two days on doxy he was almost completely recovered. Don't wait.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

When Warrior had celulitis his back legs stocked up, they were warm and very painful to the touch, I cold hosed and washed the legs with nolvasan scrub and turned him out in a small paddock and called the vet and he was given antibiotics

however he seemed fine but for the painful legs and the swelling, his appetite was good and he alert

he had no cuts but he did have a small bit of fungus which is why I washed in the nolvasan while cold hosing

good luck with your mare

Update: Mare is doing much better! Getting her spunk back.

Thanks Frizzle, I do believe she ate hoary alyssum.

Noodles

My mare had some stocking up earlier this spring (I think it was only one leg) after getting stung/bitten by something along her midline. My vet thought they were probably horn fly bites, and as the swelling subsided along her sides and belly, her leg stocked up. I came to the conclusion that the swelling simply moved downwards into her leg. I cold hosed for a couple of days and it went away pretty quickly.

Just read up on hoary alyssum - good to know, hadn't realized the toxicity could cause stocking up and fever. OP - is your mare still doing okay? No setbacks?
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Same thing happened to my horse last year. At night one hind leg was a bit swollen. I cold hosed him and massaged the leg. In the morning both hinds were swollen and TPR was high. Vet was called immediately. The vet tubed charcoal into him and dang i forget what i gave him for a few days - banamine maybe ? TPR checks twice a day and it took several days for his legs to come down. Vet said i didnt need to hose the legs but i did it anyway. Couldnt STAND seeing his legs stove up like that. I did have hoary allysum in my pasture but the horses always seemed to eat around it. And i would try to mow before it flowered to cut down on seed dispersion. We had quite a dry spell and my pasture is on the sandy side and hoary allysum just loves those conditions.

Well that was the last straw. I sprayed the pasture with Pasture Pro and then went out and pulled every darn plant to be sure. This year there is hardly any in the pasture. When i see it i pull it and dispose of it.

I dont know if your horse is on pasture or depending on hay. Hoary allysum can be in hay also.

Good luck with your mare !
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.