The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Organic iodide powder for thrush?

My mare has a wicked case of deep sulcus thrush...the farrier was out today to clean her up and suggested I try this powder that his vet highly recommends...I took it from him, and was planning on giving it to her, but trying to find anything on the Internet about it's use in horses, is useless...I really want to try it, but am scared :/ Anyone ever use it? Know of anyone that has? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Is it something to feed or put on the foot? I do remember the joy :-) of watching a farrier or vet long, long ago putting iodide crystals in a thrushy horse's foot, then pouring on the turpentine. Poof! Big cloud of smoke, and at least in theory, the reaction drove the iodine down into the thrushy areas. hey, at least it was impressive to see! I also remember feeding my horse some kind of iodine salt for a similar problem --- it was a cattle product, actually, and had some kind of dye in it to make it a color that you wouldn't normally eat. But it's been so many ages ago I don't remember any details, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkaloosa View Post
    Is it something to feed or put on the foot? I do remember the joy :-) of watching a farrier or vet long, long ago putting iodide crystals in a thrushy horse's foot, then pouring on the turpentine. Poof! Big cloud of smoke, and at least in theory, the reaction drove the iodine down into the thrushy areas. hey, at least it was impressive to see! I also remember feeding my horse some kind of iodine salt for a similar problem --- it was a cattle product, actually, and had some kind of dye in it to make it a color that you wouldn't normally eat. But it's been so many ages ago I don't remember any details, sorry.
    OLD Italian farrier from when I was a kid talked about doing the smoke trick. He said it was the only thing that would kill thrush completely (& said it made people back in the old country think he was a magician). This summer I did some googling about it & found out that the iodine crystals are hard to get b.c they can be used to cook drugs. Found some instructions on a sketchy website on how to get some by going into a feed store & pretending that you had cattle with hoof rot. good times.

I also got the impression that the entire smokey operation might hurt, depending on the severity of the infection/rawness of the tissue.

I think the reason it worked was similar to the White Lightning - the gas can get down into cracks.

This is a powder you feed...and yes, it is a cure for hoof rot in cattle...the farrier told we to watch for swelling of the face, a large amount if coughing, etc... I'm kind of scared, but desperate I'm supposed to give her 2 tsp. 2x/day...maybe I'll start with a 1/2 tsp to make sure she isn't going to react?

Have your farrier eat some of it to show you how safe it is.

If the vet and/or farrier can't explain the WHY in a way that you can understand, then more than likely HE doesn't understand it either and is just passing on a load of BS that makes him sound like he is in possession of some sort of arcane secret.

But I believe the use of iodine and other minerals in cattle is for PREVENTION of foot problems, not treatment. Probably this would only be relevant in an animal that is deficient in these things.

Straight bleach always does the trick for me. Because it kills things. But not ingested--poured on!
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Straight bleach always does the trick for me. Because it kills things. But not ingested--poured on!
    But that damages healthy hoof tissue as well. I prefer to use apple cider vinegar with a little tea tree oil, or White Lightning for more persistent cases--clears everything up but doesn't do any damage to healthy tissue. (I swear I do not work for the company that makes White Lightning!! )

I have used Betadine with MUCH success- poured on, not ingested!

A little bleach judiciously applied does NOT damage healthy tissue. Evidence being the fact that I have not yet dissolved any digits from handling it frequently. I certainly do not soak any tissues in bleach, healthy or otherwise, but a targeted squirt works wonders on thrush and is handy to have around for just about anything else that needs disinfecting, doesn't stain, and leaves my whites their whitest!
    Click here before you buy.

I typed a long response on my phone which them refused to post it. Short answer it works.

I used to give my pony organic iodide powder for his heaves. Helped tremendously! Never used it for thrush before, but I have given it to a horse with no ill effects.