The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default anyone know who this horse is?

I was looking at the ads on the USEA3.org website and found this one. He sounds interesting but there is no contact information. Anyone know who this horse belongs to and how to contact them? There is a photo, he is almost solid bay, no face markings and maybe both hind feet have some white. Thanks.

Young Rider Horse: 12 YO 16.2 hand TB gelding

12 year old, 16.2 hand beautiful dark bay registered TB gelding for sale. Has competed through Intermediate level eventing and is looking for a Young Rider to take through the lower levels. Confirmed second level dressage, knows changes..."exquisite mover" according to USDF judge and FEI steward. He would be competitive in recognized dressage competitions. Very rideable and adjustable on the flat, excellent gallop, and scope beyond belief. Can be hot to the fences so requires a knowledgeable, quiet, confident rider; however, he is a horse that you can drop the reins after a course and walk away quietly. Excellent mind, terrific temperament, and impeccable ground manners. Great conformation and feet; clips, loads, bathes, etc., this is a horse that can honestly do it all. This is truly one of the nicest horses I have ever ridden and it breaks my heart to see him go. He has been out of work for the last couple years and is just "getting back in the game," so grab him before his price increases with increased fitness and a return to competition. He is a steal at 20K, so an approved home is a must. Must see to appreciate! Call or email to schedule an appointment.

Posted by: Anonymous
    Created on Thu, 2012-08-16 12:21
    ~I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.~

Can't help you. But I find it interesting that an ad would have this:

Can be hot to the fences so requires a knowledgeable, quiet, confident rider
    and this:

is looking for a Young Rider to take through the lower levels
    in the same paragraph. Probably taking it out of context, but . . .

BTW hoof hearted, classic signature line! Love it!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I don't know, I read it as he's capable of taking a Young Rider through the levels and not capable of taking a young rider through the levels. Big difference with the capitalization.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I don't know, I read it as he's capable of taking a Young Rider through the levels and not capable of taking a young rider through the levels. Big difference with the capitalization.
    Yeah, you're probably right.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Found it PM'd you.

I found this article. It is very unethical of the trainers and stable involved.
    Sad thing is a new owner will have to deal with the horse when it gets hurt again since it never fully recovered and bad for the horse. Seems hot over fences maybe because it is in pain.

http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/20...-gets-flipped/

what is truly unethical is that this horse was expressly given to the woman who is less than 2 months after acquiring him with the complete agreement that he NOT be sold and be used solely for a trail horse by a woman named lauren dotson. white oak farm and its operator, diane albertson have lied and connived to obtain a horse they promised to give a forever home to when their agreement was to return the horse to his original owner if he ever did not work out.
    do NOT ever think that you can safely , even with the most well written legal papers, give a beloved animal to anyone and trust them. there are snakes in the grass. the contact number for this person is 336 903 0016. i don't own this horse and have no stake in this, but am absolutely certain of this information. this horse has a career ending suspensory injury behind and cannot do anything but light trail riding. he was competing well at upper levels eventing.

Quote Originally Posted by fair judy View Post
    ... with the complete agreement that he NOT be sold and be used solely for a trail horse ...they promised to give a forever home to when their agreement was to return the horse to his original owner if he ever did not work out. ...
    even with the most well written legal papers,
    The "complete agreement" did not contain the above clauses, and was not "the most well written legal papers." The original owner drew up a deficient bill of sale in which she described the horse as follows:

To the sellers best knowledge the horse is healthy and free of disease or infirmities.
    I am not saying what happened afterwards is right. But people need to also realize that just giving a horse away, free to a good home, seems to be a cheap and easy way of disposing of a horse without any financial (and sometimes, emotional) responsibility. If the past owner wants to retain some control, then this should be clearly outlined in a contract which has been drawn up by a professional, not taken off the internet with a wish and a prayer.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Well, I guess this explains why the seller in the OP was "anonymous".

I agree about the deficient bill of sale. No care was taken to at least try to gain right of first refusal or to protect the horse in any way. Being in a hurry is no excuse. Although to be fair, his soundness issues were listed in the "free to good home" ad.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    But people need to also realize that just giving a horse away, free to a good home, seems to be a cheap and easy way of disposing of a horse without any financial (and sometimes, emotional) responsibility. If the past owner wants to retain some control, then this should be clearly outlined in a contract which has been drawn up by a professional, not taken off the internet with a wish and a prayer.
    I am continually amazed that people think there is an abundance of homes available for these types of horses. Are they clueless, delusional, or do they just not care? They got injured on your watch, trying to make your goals happen -- YOU should make damn sure they have a place to retire.

It's the same thing I said in the Racing thread -- you broke them, you provide for them. Stop kidding yourself that there are just tons of people out there willing to feed and care for your basically unusable horses. While there may be the occasional situation and anectdotal story about how someone's horse had a second life as a "light trail horse" or a "companion horse", those homes are few and far between.

Be responsible. Period.

and all too often, 7 dogs, the only realistic solution is to euthanize. which of course no one wants to recognize.

i gave a good horse to someone to keep forever. they rode it into the ground. i cried for years watching that grand horse struggle. finally, i was able to buy him back. when i went out of the business i put him to sleep. flame suit on.

i absolutely think that we need to recognize that there was never any intention on the part of either diana albertson or laura dotson ( they share the same phone number) to give this horse a home. however naive Cook may have been she was outrageously hoodwinked by two charlatans. the proof is in the fact that as soon as people recognized this horse the adverts came down, and the name of the horse was changed. but these two aren't even intelligent enough to realize that you can't ever really take back something you post on the internet. let this be a lesson to all, we live in a craigslist world now, and anything that is "free" is vulnerable.

Sinead Halpin has picked this story up on her Facebook page.