The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

that's a pretty scary incident, but gun ownership isn't going to help. If you read the statistics, households that have guns are far more likely to have members of that household die from those guns than they are to be helped or saved in any way by owning those guns. In households with guns, the guns are often involved in accidental shootings of members of the household, in impulse suicides by members of the household, and are used by the members of the household to shoot each other. Sometimes intruders steal them and use them to shoot the gun owner. They are almost never used in self-defense. It's a complete fallacy to believe that owning a gun will make you safer; it's quite the opposite.
    Keep in mind that practically all violent crimes against women are committed by "friends" and family of the victim. Violent stranger-crimes against women are vanishingly rare. So keeping the house locked up tight isn't very helpful for most women because their attackers are usually there in the house with them.
    Men are much more likely to be attacked and killed by strangers.

I don't believe that owning a gun, in this case, would have been helpful. That being said, I do believe that it is beneficial for people to know how to and be comfortable with using a firearm.

I have my concealed carry permit (in South Florida), but do not own a gun (yet). I got the concealed carry because I wanted to do the training course and feel comfortable with a gun. TOTALLY WORTH IT, IMO. I am also going to be taking Krav Maga classes (Google it!) - I am a single woman who lives on her own, and in my area of South FL, you can go from a "good" neighborhood to a bad one in less than a block. It is always good to know how to defend yourself if necessary.

You can get pepper spray on Amazon! They even come in pink canisters that you can clip onto a key ring.
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.

I own both pepper spray and handguns and usually carry both with me. My concealed carry gun is a Sig Saur P238 .380. It is very small and easy to conceal on me or in a purse. I work the midnight shift and drive alone at night a lot. I like have the security of having both with me in case anything happens. I also own a .40 Cal H&K but the .380 is my favorite for personal protection.

Like TheJenner said earlier, if you aren't prepared to shoot someone, don't carry a gun. I know if my life were in question, I would not hesitate to shoot.

Still, pepper spray is a great alternative too for personal protection. Years ago I was traveling with my dog ( and my pepper spray) and there was this one truck driver that kept giving me the creeps while I was driving. I ducked off the highway at a truck stop hoping to lose him but I guess he saw me get off and followed. While I was walking my dog I saw him starting to walk my direction. I pulled the can of pepper spray out of my pocket and made a big show out of shaking the can and flipping the safety up. Truck driver did an immediate about face and that was the last I saw of him.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

When I took the TN CCW class several years ago the first part addressed a critical issue: will you exercise deadly force in defense of yourself or of another? If the answer to this question is "yes," then continue; if it's "no" then you're excused and thank you for coming. No one got up and left.

A second, critical issue is carrying the weapon. The finest weapon in the world is useless in a drawer in your bedroom if you're outside in the yard. So pick something that you'll actually use. This is an important question 'cause guys often want to be Dirty Harry. Gals tend to be more intimidated and even if they've answered "yes" to our first question don't want a lot of bulk. Each group will have to quickly become more realistic in their choice of what they carry.

A third question is "zone of danger." How big is your "personal space" and can you deploy your weapon against a threat between the time they enter your "personal space" the the time they get to you? An adult male of normal size can cross 25 feet in under 3 sec. without straining. Women tend to want to carry in a purse and that's often a bad idea; unless, of course, they've practiced shooting through the purse (a completely valid tactic even if it is hard on the accessory ). There are, of course, many other female carry options (including bra holsters). Men, due to prevailing fashion standards, have even more options. Even here, though, care must be taken so that the weapon remains concealed but accessible.

There are many other factors that were covered and the final point was there is no "school" answer that will cover all possibilities.

Given the circumstances of the this case it's an open question on whether or not the presence of a weapon would have aided the victim. A "surprise" attack from cover is about as bad as it gets. Still, if there's an opportunity to deploy "Mace" then there's likely an equal opportunity to call on Sam Colt.

Speaking of Mr. Sam, one the early Colt firearm ads made the specific point that his revolver made "a small man the equal of a larger." This is particularly relevant to women who, as a rule, are smaller than males. It's also particularly relevant to the elderly or people with physical limitations.

There's lots of stuff you can use in self defense that are not considered weapons. Noise makers (whistle, air horn on an air can, electronic devices, etc.) can be a significant deterrent (as long as there's somebody nearby to hear it and respond). A can of spray paint works well, as it can cause injury to the attacker and clearly marks them. Yard tools, kitchen pots, etc. work well and if they cause an attacker injury also marks them. But the most important tool for a victim is their brain. They have to avoid panic and use whatever is available, even if it's just their own body. This is where some self-defense training is particularly valuable.

I'm glad the victim in the original story suffered no substantial physical injury. She, like the rest of us, has options. The options selected must meet the threats presented. That will likely mean a variety of strategies, not just one.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

We have guns in the house- the main purpose being that we can stop an intruder that entered the house while we were sleeping. They wouldn't help outside for someone who's already close obviously. For that, we have a German Shepherd shadow- you won't touch any of us unless you hurt him, which will give me time to get into the house to the weapon. And then your butt is fried for hurting my dog. I have friends who say they don't know if they could pull the trigger on someone. I've told my brothers to never play jokes on me by sneaking into the house and acting threatening, they know I'm serious. If I was concerned while outside, I would look into one of the sprays if there was no dog option. My dog is not quite two years old but he proved this summer that he won't back down. We were camping and hubby came around the camper in the dark, in his Carhartt overalls, he tried to startle me by smacking his hands down on my shoulders from behind. There was a black blur by my feet and my dog hurtled over me towards him while snarling and barking a high pitched constant bark I never heard before, I grabbed his collar and he almost dragged me over while trying to get him. He meant business. I wish your neighbor would have kept one of her dogs with her rather than put them all inside :-(
    Kerri

We have guns at home, and both DH and I have our carry permits. We also have two large dogs who mean business if they see something they don't like. Heck, one time we were coming home from our neighbors' house at night and the dogs didn't realize it was us walking down the driveway and they put it in high gear, growling a very scary growl that I hadn't heard before - when we called out to them that it was us, they changed their tune but man, I could have piaffed in my pants!

I am 100000% prepared to use my gun against anyone who wishes to do me harm. I've taken my shotgun outside when we've had trespassers whom DH has gone out to "direct" back to a trail. I wear my carry gun (Sig 239) in a fanny pack and I'll have my hand around the gun as I walk out to the barn at night or when I've had to go looking for the dogs. I should carry more than I do, but I always carry when I'm driving out of town or with the horses.

But again, you must be mentally prepared to use it. DH and I go to the range to practice and we've been on pistol shooting leagues. We also go out to outdoor rifle ranges where we can use our shotgun (not allowed at the indoor range) and practice loading/reloading, target shooting, etc.
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I am a looney liberal, but we have multiple guns (we live on the cusp of a bad neighborhood...). We lock all doors at all times, have bullet-proof storm doors, have two dogs, an alarm system and stay vigilant. Our neighbors have had multiple break-ins - every home in our immediate radius has been broken into but ours. I think our home security measures have (reinforced doors, storm doors, large barking dogs, etc.) have been the best deterrant- someone tried to break into the back door, but couldn't break the shatterproof storm door and gave up.

But, should anyone manage to make it in, we are prepared with guns and how to use them. We've taken classes and go to target practice. I don't ever want to HAVE to use it, but I honestly feel better knowing we have handguns and shotguns available should we need them.

The only bad part is I've somehow gotten myself on the e-mail list for the NRA... keep unsubscribing, and they keep putting me back on. I think someone is effing with me!