The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Obama is not Stuck in the Cold War... Is Romney?

This surprised me. Seriously? Russia? That bankrupt country? I didn't know what Obama was referring to in his speech when he spoke about the Romney/Ryan foreign policy, specifically that Romney thinks Russia is our biggest enemy. Yes, Russia has nuclear weapons but, um, the Cold War is over.

So if you hadn't heard, here it is. According to the Huffington Post, in an interview with Wolf Blitzer, Romney said the following about Obama's meeting with Russian president Medvedev (boldface is mine). See the link at the end for the whole article:

"This is without question our number one geopolitical foe, they fight for every cause for the world's worst actors. The idea that he has more flexibility in mind for Russia is very, very troubling indeed," Romney said.

Wolf Blitzer asked if he thought Russia was a bigger foe than Iran, China or North Korea.

"I'm saying in terms of a geopolitical opponent, the nation which lines up with the world's worst actors," said Romney. "Of course the greatest threat that the world faces is a nuclear Iran and a nuclear North Korea is already troubling enough."

"But when these terrible actors pursue their course in the world and we go to the United Nations looking for ways to stop them; when [Syrian President Bashir al-] Assad for instance is murdering his own people we go to the United Nations and who is it that always stands up with the world's worst actors, it's always Russia, typically with China alongside," he continued. "And so in terms of a geopolitical foe, a nation that's on the Security Council ... and is of course is a massive nuclear power, Russia is the geopolitical foe."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1380801.html

Hmmm no mention of extreme religions and terrorists, Al Qaeda... What's funny is he verbally turned them over: let's see, North Korea, Iran, China the superpower, Russia... Hmmm Russia keeps starting things but needs China's help... Yeah, Yeah, Russia -- Russia is THE problem.

If he had just stopped short with his explanation about Russia the trouble maker it would have been fine, but Russia as THE worst foe in the world?
    Last edited by PeteyPie; Sep. 7, 2012 at 02:40 AM. Reason: dropped a word

Huffpo and Blitzer...nope, no leftist bias there about candidates. The Cold War is not over...I dont' believe it ever will be.

When the Bama told Medvedev (when he thought the mike was off), "Tell Putin I'll have a lot more flexibility when I'm reelected"...that sure worried me.

The Russians are the biggest supporters of the bad guys, with technology for dollars...it's not just the Germans and French supplying the Iranians with technology and know-how. China's mostly going after economic warfare and control.

Bama is too busy bowing to the various muslim potentates and redefining the country as weak and as a do-nothing paper tiger...while shipping our troops to Africa (where we really dont' belong).
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I thought that Russia had become a paper bear.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Huffpo and Blitzer...nope, no leftist bias there about candidates. The Cold War is not over...I dont' believe it ever will be.

When the Bama told Medvedev (when he thought the mike was off), "Tell Putin I'll have a lot more flexibility when I'm reelected"...that sure worried me.

The Russians are the biggest supporters of the bad guys, with technology for dollars...it's not just the Germans and French supplying the Iranians with technology and know-how. China's mostly going after economic warfare and control.

Bama is too busy bowing to the various muslim potentates and redefining the country as weak and as a do-nothing paper tiger...while shipping our troops to Africa (where we really dont' belong).
    Agree 100%!
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post

Seriously good post. The left bias in the media right now it beyond belief. Just look at who is reporting Benghazi and that shameful debacle and who isn't. There is NO excuse for those people being left without support or backup much less the ignored requests Ambassador Stevens made for more security that were also ignored. If not for two ex Navy Seals who disobeyed orders to "stand down," and went in and helped rescue people at the consulate losing their lives in the process, the death toll would have been way higher. It is shameful how this administration handled this and now how NoBama is dodging questions.

1 members found this post helpful.

Russia is providing weapons to Syria dictator, US to the (mostly jihadist) insurgency.
    If you want a good source, John Batchelor show , radio, has amazing intel. The blog portion isn't the interesting part, the downloadable pod casts are it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    If he had just stopped short with his explanation about Russia the trouble maker it would have been fine, but Russia as THE worst foe in the world?
    Oh, come on. Politicians are interviewed constantly, always being pushed by people whose profession it is to get them to make a newsworthy comment instead of a slick soundbite. Maybe Romney thinks Russia is the #1 bad guy, and maybe he just got carried away during an interview. I don't think his comment is particularly revealing; if he'd said something like "Russia is our #1 enemy and the reason is the Jews," now that would be troubling.

Islamists and terrorists of various stripes are annoying and dangerous, but they cannot compare with Russia in terms of real danger. I don't think Mr. Romney was carried away at all-on the contrary, his comments on Russia were quite reasonable and intelligent. I was heartened and amazed to hear an actual reasoned statement, and disheartened and appalled at the response.

I expect the Russians are quite happy to have us think that they are harmless, and they will be happier still if we manage to destroy ourselves by spending money we don't have to increase dependency on the state. Just in case you don't understand, the Russians are dangerous. Trakehner is quite correct, the cold war is not over.

Russia may be bankrupt, but it has enormous reserves of natural resources, and good military, espionage, and technical expertise. Putin is intelligent, resourceful, and coldly determined to restore Russian power. Any one who isn't afraid of the Russians is delusional or too innocent to be allowed out without a keeper.

I find it fascinating that the Democrats' new slogan is "Forward."
    friend of bar.ka

I am dressed up. These wellies are clean.