The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best Winter Turnouts

This will be my guy's first REAL winter. He grows a great coat, but he's just not used to the wind and snow that we get out here on the plains of CO. He'll have a shelter and a windbreak but will be out on pasture.

My question is: what is the best (but still reasonably priced) heavy turnout blanket?? I'd love to buy him a Rambo but at $250 it's a little out of my price range
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Dover's turnouts are fabulous and hold up great! I have a Rider's International Supreme turnout sheet that still looks brand new after four years. Just needs to be re-waterproofed.

I just got an Amigo Bravo 12 turnout sheet last year that is my new favorite for durability without breaking the bank! They do come in light, med and heavy. Smartpak and Dover both carry them.

I'm a fan of Schneiders blankets, but the Amigo 12 looks really nice and the price is great--might buy one of those at some point.

www.HorseLoverz.com was having a "name your price" closeout on a bunch of Weatherbeeta stuff--I got a nice turnout for $50 and a dog blanket for next to nothing.
    Click here before you buy.

I bought two blankets from scheiders last fall they seem to be real nice blankets. Never did use them wasnt cold enough to bother with it plus it saved me the hassle of cleaning them.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I am a fan of Smartpak's Thinsulate-lined turnout. Lightweight but warm when it needs to be.
    Reasonable at under $150 and the one I got for my pony is going into its 3rd Midwest Winter looking brand new.

Granted, I don't blanket very often, but he plays rough with his 17h+ pasturemate and the blanket doesn't show any wear.
    Machine washable too!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Another vote for Schneider's! I picked up a medium weight two years ago, and it's held up really well--even with some rough play. Last year I got one of their heavyweights, it has the same great quality, at a really good price. They both fit well, too.

I really like the Jeffers brand turnouts. I originally bought a medium weight small pony-sized one to use on a weanling colt. Not only did it survive him, but was perfectly usable the next year for a filly. I still have it in case I get any more youngsters, and it's still in excellent condition. The next year, I bought a horse-sized one for the (then long yearling and gelded) colt, and again it stood up to his abuse admirably. They certainly get my vote! The Jeffers brands usually run around $70-80 even for a heavyweight, so definitely easy on the wallet.

I used Schneiders T/O blankets for a few years with moderate success. I didn't particularly like the fit through the shoulders and neck, but I was happy with the material durability and waterproofness. I bought a Rambo on sale a few years ago and now that is the only brand I will buy. The fit is amazing and my horse isn't yanking at the chest of the blanket anymore. I've used Rhinos and Amigos too, and while the fit is great, they haven't withstood my horse's rough pasture mates quite as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I am a fan of Smartpak's Thinsulate-lined turnout. Lightweight but warm when it needs to be.
    Reasonable at under $150 and the one I got for my pony is going into its 3rd Midwest Winter looking brand new.

Granted, I don't blanket very often, but he plays rough with his 17h+ pasturemate and the blanket doesn't show any wear.
    Machine washable too!
    I bought this with the extended neck a few years ago. Very nice product that has held up exceptionally well.

I swear by Smartpaks line. They hold up really well and are very affordable. They also fit my 2 OTTB really well!!!

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

You could consider getting a Rhino sheet (the most recent model) and just adding a Rambo Duo liner under it. The Rhino sheets have the hardware necessary to attach the liners, and the liners are available in weights from 100 grams to 400 grams. I did this with my mare one year and was quite pleased with how well it worked. Everything stayed in place and mare stayed toasty. Plus the liners can be laundered at home if you have a large front load machine.

We also added a neck rug as she had been clipped. That tended to gap a bit where it attached to the sheet, but from what I've heard that's not uncommon.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

LOVE my Smartpak blankets, particularly my "Deluxe" high neck. This will be their third winter...they're looking good. And my horse ain't easy on them.

I have a Rhino medium weight turnout and haven't been too impressed with it. The blanket before that was a Weatherbeeta Taka, which held up pretty well. For the next one, I think I may try a Schneider's. Or Smartpak.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I just got a Schneider's blanket, and am very pleased with the fit and quality. It is the Stormshield Euro and runs true to size. The neck cover is also very nice, and fits well. It fits my QH mare nicely through the shoulders and is nice and warm. The price also cannot be beat, and Schneider's has a great return policy. I was not too impressed with the fit of the Rambo QH blanket I had for my mare last winter. It really did not have enough drop for her, but otherwise it fit fine and did its job. It kept springing holes, but I attribute that to the barn kitties who liked to cuddle in it while I rode. I would get another Rambo again if it weren't for the price. That leaves me with Schneider's, and I can't complain.

I bought an Amigo Bravo 12 in the middle of last winter and love it! I think I'm going buy another to replace my other horse's turnout blanket.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I don't live anywhere that really needs a true heavy weight blanket but I will blanket/sheet in cold, wet weather for my old guy. Since I'm not a heavy blanket user, I can't really comment on the durability but can say that Schneider's customer service is great if you have any problems. I bought two sheets and one of them had a mis-sewn strap. They sent me a new blanket with a return label for the old one no questions asked.

(Just to be clear, I don't think mis-sewn anything is regular with Schneiders. It was just a fluke.)

I got rid of all my Rhino blankets. They gave my boys such bad rubs!! I am replacing them all with Smartpak. My one turnout from them is going on it's 7th winter and still looks new, and not a single rub.

My horses have trashed/ripped Schneider's, Amigos, Rhinos, Weatherbeetas, and Triple Crown Blankets. I only buy Rambos now. They are more expensive up front, but they are nearly indestructible, so more cost effective in the long run. My oldest Rambo is 10 years old, and still looks great.

I love my Rambo Wugs although I know you said thats over your budget. I have 2 Rhino Wugs that are also amazing. They are 10 years old and lost a little bit of water proofing but otherwise still great. The rambos are new and have some great new features (like safety surcingles that come undone w/ velcro if the horse gets caught up) but the newer rhinos might have that too.