I want to know what would you do in this situation. I've been pondering this for the last couple months and cannot come to a conclusion. So here's my situation:
My dream quarter horse mare is in my pasture. She's terriable for children to ride because she is way too green and frankly will never be safe for a beginner. She has beautiful movement and a wonderful personality. I've fallen in love with this mare. We were planning to use her for breeding but we found out that she didn't take this year. She has no medical issues or soundness issues just no luck for a baby next year.
My best friend of 15 years has decided to move 1000 miles away and sell her horse. The person lined up to buy him backed out. I've known this horse for about 9 years. He is a 12 year old bay quarter horse. Dead broke, point earner western pleasure and hunter under saddle. He is a very good horse to put just anyone on. He has no soundess issues. The only thing that worries me is that she can't keep weight on him and he's eating a bale of hay a day, 4 scoops of grain, and on pasture for 8 hours. With little exercise in the last 4 months. Oh keep in mind she's practically giving him away for less than 2k...
My question is, should I sell my mare for this gelding? I really need a horse I can let the kids ride, right now all I have is very green horses. I don't want to part with my mare but I don't want to be selfish either. I realize I can have the mare trained but I'm looking to have something in the next year or so and she is a very smart horse who will get away with murder if she was able. Sadly I cannot take in another horse so I have to choose who. I need to give a new home.
We have another mare that's moving off the property in a couple months giving room for the foal. I did not plan to sell the foal just wanted my dream mare to have my dream foal. I'm not too sure about leasing her because of being very green still.
How old is the mare? Is she registered? As a green broke horse with no proven history as a breeder or under saddle, if she isn't pretty young you'll probably have trouble placing her. even if she is young it will probably be tough. Worth considering if you are really attached to the mare and don't want to see her heading toward the border on a double decker.
Can you send her to a trainer for 60 or 90 days? That would at least give her a chane if you are set on selling.
I wouldn't sell her. If you'll have room in a few months, look for a kid's horse then, maybe a pony? But you'll regret selling your dream mare. And you don't want to have resentment towards your kids's horse or their riding.
The only thing that worries me is that she can't keep weight on him and he's eating a bale of hay a day, 4 scoops of grain, and on pasture for 8 hours. With little exercise in the last 4 months. Oh keep in mind she's practically giving him away for less than 2k...
This could be a minor issue or a potentially a very serious one - it could cost you a fair bit of change to figure out which
What has the owner done so far? in nothing, there's your answer ...