The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Would George Morris Say?

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

well, I think my ears would be bleeding if I was standing next to him when he saw it.

WW George say? Nothin' good, that's for sure!

But I'd sure get a kick out of hearing him say it . . . I'll bet that rider said something similar!

What's that old saying about throwing your heart over the jump and the horse will follow? I don't think that was meant literally.

StG

^I froze the vid at 1:14. The physics amaze me -- how does she end up back in the saddle at all?

I guess form doesn't necessarily have to proceed function.

I was more surprised by the fact that she stayed on when the reins broke - and reached up and grabbed her horse's bridle! I wouldn't recommend that jumping style to anyone...but it seems to work for her.

Quote Originally Posted by trilogy View Post
    Ha! I was about to post this vid! Craziness!!

Heck with her legs flopping I was waiting for her to take flight no wonder that horse was hauling but!

But props to that last jump, I guess jumping like that comes in handy when ur holding the bridle...
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

I cant imagine her horse's back feeling good after that. I watched another video of her where her position is even more extreme and you can hear her plopping down on his back.

I'll bet that helmet isn't even ASTM.

George Morris wouldn't say anything because after seeing this his resting heart rate would have dropped to zero.

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Poor horse.
    That is about as rough a jumping rider I have seen.
    The way she fights that horse, no wonder the rein broke.

The horse was getting more and more ringy, helicoptering it's tail and shaking it's head.

At times, any jumper rider, the more advanced the class, has to be less than polite here and there and you apologize to the horse and try to work to get a smoother go, ease the pressure.
    If I had ever ridden fighting a horse like that, I would have been sat down for loooong time.

That rider was getting rank herself, and also, what does she do over every jump with her lower leg?
    It looks like she kicks out, just as some horses do.
    Have never seen that on a rider.

I expect GM would be itching to get his hand on that pair and see what he could do with them.

I hope that was not a normal class for that rider, but a rare one, where all went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    I'll bet that helmet isn't even ASTM.
    Well, it likely didn't need to be at Hickstead in 1988.

The facebook link didn't work for me but I assume it was same as YouTube link?

In any event, for all of y'all's criticism, she made it around the Hickstead Derby course. I doubt I could. I also doubt any other poster in this thread could.

I'm sure George saw plenty of that in jumping back in the day, that kind of 'odd' form wasn't (and isn't) uncommon. He'd probably take it over some of what sees in the show ring these days.

And y'all's ignorance is showing if you don't know what the Hickstead Derby is- it ain't a class for newbies or novices.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Well, it likely didn't need to be at Hickstead in 1988.

The facebook link didn't work for me but I assume it was same as YouTube link?

In any event, for all of y'all's criticism, she made it around the Hickstead Derby course. I doubt I could. I also doubt any other poster in this thread could.

I'm sure George saw plenty of that in jumping back in the day, that kind of 'odd' form wasn't (and isn't) uncommon. He'd probably take it over some of what sees in the show ring these days.

And y'all's ignorance is showing if you don't know what the Hickstead Derby is- it ain't a class for newbies or novices.
    No, Hickstead is not for novices, but that was some rough riding, no matter who that was.
    I think that some of the faults she had, the devil's dyke especially, were from her partly out of control round.

That was a squirrely horse, made worse by the jerky rider.

Exhibit B: Marion Coakes and Stroller. Gasp, no ASTM helmet in the 60s, and gasp, a bit of a floppy leg, eh?

Stroller won Hickstead a time or two. And the individual silver in Mexico City.

And was 14.2h.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/compe...90/180623.html

Apparantly the horse is a hard one to ride and dislikes having his sides touched. I don't think George Morris would say a thing about her form.

Same pair, same course in 86 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ0WH...feature=relmfu

Would like to know what happened to the horse later on I can only find the two videos.
    Did he ever mellow out?
    Last edited by 5; Sep. 7, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Apparantly the horse is a hard one to ride and dislikes having his sides touched. I don't think George Morris would say a thing about her form.

Same pair, same course in 86 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ0WH...feature=relmfu

Would like to know what happened to the horse later on I can only find the two videos.
    Did he ever mellow out?
    The link doesn't work for me.

Maybe ulcers caused the horse to be so overly sensitive?
    In some of the close pictures the rider seemed to be kind of annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    The link doesn't work for me.

Maybe ulcers caused the horse to be so overly sensitive?
    In some of the close pictures the rider seemed to be kind of annoyed.
    Aparrantly she liked Tutin horse, he was at her (maybe her parent's) farm until he died.

Try these links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ0WH...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsLzR...feature=relmfu
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6