The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So today is my anniversary...

...and my MIL just dropped off a present. It's a giant package of energy efficient lightbulbs and four telescoping marshmallow toasting sticks.

My laugh for the day. That is all.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

How.....thoughtful? Hey, at least it's things you can use and not scary horse statues!
    Quarry Rat

How fortuitous that it's OT days and you could tell us about that.

At least she remembered? But it's just so random and weird!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

On the way to our rehearsal dinner many years ago my MIL-to-be asked my husband-to-be if he was completely sure about what he was doing... and I was in the car! Also, same ride, asked me whether I cut my own hair (which I didn't). And told me that I should wear dresses more often because my legs "weren't that bad."

Ahhh, good times.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Well, I think she actually forgot, but I posted a Happy Anniversary to the hubby on facebook today and I suspect she got reminded.

Love her to death, but she's...unique? Eccentric? Completely random and fruitbatting crazy? But a sweetheart. And I now have enough lightbulbs to last for years.
    Caitlin

Hey - that's actually quite nice. Look at all the hideous MIL threads on here. I don't think yours is anything to start a public laugh-fest over.

Default Today is mine too!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    ...and my MIL just dropped off a present. It's a giant package of energy efficient lightbulbs and four telescoping marshmallow toasting sticks.

My laugh for the day. That is all.
    Happy anniversary red mare!

Now you should make some s'mores!

Of course it's nice, I never said it wasn't. Already sent her a thank you. It's just a completely random present that I would never have dreamed of getting, and I literally LOL'd hard enough when I opened it that I scared the kitties.

She knows we love her and that we laugh at (and with) her. Heck, we tell her that she is totally goofy (in the best way possible) and she agrees with us.

It's called a humorous attempt to lighten up OT day.
    Caitlin

My Dad used to give me gift certificates to Safeway for birthdays and Christmas. Not personal, but totally a Dad thing to do. Practical. I thought it was funny and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by redalter View Post
    Happy anniversary red mare!

Now you should make some s'mores!
    Thank you!

We have plans for a fancy restaurant on Saturday, but for tonight, hubby brought home fried chicken and Oreos from the grocery. And then we shall sit in the Jacuzzi tub and sip champagne (with our Oreos) and toast to four years. My kind of celebration.

Smores can wait til tomorrow since it's like 95 degrees outside at the moment.
    Caitlin

Okay, Safeway gift certificates are not as funny as telescoping marshmallow sticks...

The thing I like about gifts like that is that you can envision her at Walmart or Target, looking at those items and thinking of you. I think that's nice.

A friend just gave me a Sudoku book she bought for me at the dollar store. Loved it.

Happy Anniversary !!

What a thoughtful gift! She wants you to save money and the earth by using a better light bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Thank you!

We have plans for a fancy restaurant on Saturday, but for tonight, hubby brought home fried chicken and Oreos from the grocery. And then we shall sit in the Jacuzzi tub and sip champagne (with our Oreos) and toast to four years. My kind of celebration.

Smores can wait til tomorrow since it's like 95 degrees outside at the moment.
    Congrats!

This just made me realize if I move my chimea closer to the hot tub and got long sticks I can toast marshmallows while hot tubing. Yay!

Happy Anniversary! See, she really gave you a great present didn't she? I can totally see the marshmallow roasting while in the hot tub thing. Just don't drop the smores in the tub, I bet they're hell to clean out of the filter and jets.

It could be worse-a lady I work with had a Happy Birthday posting on her Facebook, and it was from her own mother. It was also almost a week early.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We never got an anniversary present from MIL, and I never thought about it but I got this
    https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...31504304247634
    from her daughter last Christmas.

Hideous as the horsehead hooks are the backstory on the Goldendoodle tote is even better....I made it for SIL because she has a goldendoodle and gave it to her a year and a half ago.

My son also gave me a Giant supermarket card one your...."Well you always shop there"
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Hey, energy efficient bulbs ain't cheap. Now you will have money for chocolate for the somemores. Money for chocolate is a good thing!!!

Happy Anniversary and here's to four more x ten.

My MIL (love her to death 98% of the time) has the same shopping skills. I get random plants, which I can stick somewhere on our property, and once for Christmas I received worm-riddled Yak cheese from her May trip to Tibet. We've never gotten an anniversary gift from her, but she has been exceedingly generous at other times. For my graduation from nursing school, she is taking us to Japan for 2 weeks, along with my DD (for her graduation from Yale, MA in East Asian Studies), DD's boyfriend and boyfriend's Mom. So some presents are Yak cheese, and some are Japan . And she has a reason for each one that makes perfect sense to her, and each is choosen with a lot of thought and care.

Happy Anniversary!! Arent mother in laws great? Your story got my thinking about a couple of good MIL times. I think the best was on my 8th date when I first met her, she asked me if my BFs herpes cleared up. It was a joke (horrible and I almost had a cow on the kitchen floor and made thee BF get tested as I was then on parinoid as what mother would say that?) and a joke that told me what a lovely road I was about to embark on with my in laws.

I have yet to recive an anniversary gift from her and the last christmas she branched out from soap to the mixer I bought her for christmas 3 years before. She regifted me my own present. The BF lol'd about it for quite sometime. I was happy, I liked that mixer.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

how practical of her?? Your MIL sounds awesome
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

LOL. Well, at least she likes you enough to give a gift. I am a notoriously quirky gift giver, but it goes along with my sense of humor. I definitely appreciate the off the wall gifts I receive, especially when they are practical. I love that it seems to fit her personality and that you appreciate it for the meaning.