The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2009
    Posts
    537

    Default

    BBHM, you should have fun tomorrow! They have a great selection of the Alexus in stock - I think sizes 24-40. Upstairs did not seem to have too many of the amazingly fantastic, trip over yourself, buy things you don't need because they are so cheap type-deals, but there were some good deals on show shirts to be had (I mainly focused on clothing and just browsed tack as I am leasing rather than owning at present). There are a decent number of FITS and Bradley breeches up there if you end up being on a buying trip.



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    640

    Default

    I am definitely going to have some fun! Contemplating getting another pair of FITS since I have my 20% off coupon to use. I know I can't use it on clearance, but if there's a XL pair of FITS upstairs I will probably buy them ...

    My last trip I scored a Mattes halfpad with front and rear trim for $99. But I am looking forward to having a fun few hours there trying stuff on for you guys!



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2009
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Silver Charm, that's a hard one... I think for people with a more normal knee-waist length than myself, it should work for those with a totally average toosh. It's hard for me to say since I consider myself medium-butted and the 28s fit that area very well but the 30s were way too big.

    Another way to explain it is if you can get the pants to fit your waist well, I think they will fit your butt well. If you have to order up in the waist to accommodate a longer rise (may be necessary in these for some people), it will likely be better for those who are curvier. I don't think this is a breech that people will have to order up in the waist to accommodate thighs.

    FWIW in jeans I usually wear a 28, which fits like most breeches - good everywhere but big in the waist, especially after I wear them for an hour and they stretch out. I hate low rise. I used to have the opposite problem until the bf moved in and I gained 10 pounds!



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2004
    Location
    Livonia/A2, MI
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Ok, gotcha! Thanks for the explanation. It's so hard to justify trying new breeches when I know and like my Trohpy Hunters, but these seem like they might be worth a look. Thanks again!



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul. 28, 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,954

    Default

    Boston HJ, you may think I'm crazy, but have you tried regular length instead of long? I know you said you were 5'9" but the TS have very different fits from reg to long. I am 5'7" and the TS regs fit me so much better. I bet the mid rise TS in reg would fit down on your hips more and get rid of the gap at your waist. You might be short waisted like me. LOVE LOVE the TS mid rise side zip Trophys.
    friend of bar.ka



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2009
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Hmmmm... I have not tried the reg length in the Trophy. I know in the schoolers, the Royals and the Professionals, the regs are so short on me that the bottom of the knee patch is not securely below the bend in my knee and the Velcro hits the biggest part of my calf . Thanks for the idea though - my next tack shop visit will include trying on some reg length Trophys.

    When I win the lottery, I'm designing a breech line with odd numbers (especially a 29!!).



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2010
    Location
    Westford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    BostonHJ, what a helpful review!!

    I am built very much like you...5'9", 140, most of my height in my waist and femurs. The best fitting breeches for me are the Trophy Hunters, 28L but I do like the low rise, that helps solve some of the long waisted problem, as I don't have to worry about rise as much as they don't have to come up over my hip bones.

    I think those Alexus 28L full seats look fabulous on you, your thighs most certainly do not look big at all!! Next time I am at Smartpak, I will certainly try some on.

    The Bradleys fit you just like they fit me. I'm guessing you have the same problem I do with fitted dresses...if it fits through the waist and hips, it bags right above the butt, because clothing designers think my rear should be higher up than it is. It's the long waist thing.

    A totally unrelated question, since one of us seems to be the other's evil twin...what saddle do you ride in? I'm having a heck of a time finding something with a good balance and flap for me.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov. 17, 2006
    Posts
    3,704

    Default

    BostonHJ you were an excellent model! Thank you for doing that. You look great in the 28 Alexus breech. . Wish I had a SmartPak store nearby.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Just a head's up, I am probably not going to get to the SmartPak store today, but am making plans to go tomorrow and spend good portion of the early afternoon trying breeches on!



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2012
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    Just a head's up, I am probably not going to get to the SmartPak store today, but am making plans to go tomorrow and spend good portion of the early afternoon trying breeches on!
    I am an American sz 14. I have big boobs (38D) and I have the worst time finding pretty shirts. Usually the 44 shirts are still too small. What size top do you wear? What do you usually buy?

    I would love to have a proxy model! I was thinking about a pair of FITS and a pair of Bradleys so I'm looking forward to your review.



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    640

    Unhappy Reviews and photos!

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsFitzDarcy&Feliks View Post
    I am an American sz 14. I have big boobs (38D) and I have the worst time finding pretty shirts. Usually the 44 shirts are still too small. What size top do you wear? What do you usually buy?

    I would love to have a proxy model! I was thinking about a pair of FITS and a pair of Bradleys so I'm looking forward to your review.
    MrsFitz, I usually wear an XL (if it's a TRUE XL!) on top. I'm a 40D/38DD. I just got a Kerrits top on sale at SmartPak (purchased it online last week) and wore it to the barn yesterday. Just in case, I got the XXL as I wasn't too sure about the Kerrits sizing; it's definitely big/loose on me, but I'm okay with that in case it gets tossed in the dryer by accident. It's this top in Plum Flowers. Its looseness hides things I'd like to be covered up while I'm on my Weight Watchers weight loss adventure.

    All right, well, it was certainly an interesting experience trying all of these breeches on. I tried on the Treadstone Kelly in a size 40 and navy, the FITS All Season pull-on in an XL and taupe, the new Ariat Heritage full seat in espresso and a size 36, the Bradley Plus Ribb full seats in tan, and a size 40, the Bradley full seat in navy and a size 40, and finally, the Alexus full seat in tan and a size 40. Originally I was also going to try on knee patch breeches, but this whole experience left me feeling really bad about myself and I couldn't wait to get out of that dressing room!

    Also, I REALLY should have shown more tan breeches instead of the navy, it may be hard to see in some of the shots.

    So just to recap: I'm just under 5'2", a size 16/18, really short inseam, with a conformational fault of a swoopy lumbar region that makes pants fitting an odd experience--they can have a HUGE gap in the back but will be tight in the front! Like I said in reply to MrsFitz, I'm on WW and thus far have lost 16 lbs.

    I tried the Treadstone Kelly on first, which I know fits me. From the last time I tried them on, I will soon be able to go down a size, woohoo! The length is good on me, I didn't tighten the velcro at the ankles though. I also have HUGE hips, so there's some pulling at the snaps, but otherwise it fits nice, the full seat is flexible, and these are on my list to buy.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09133132.jpg (My dog was with me, her name is Lola)

    Second was the FITS. I have a pair that I got on closeout in the Toast color (brown with black deerskin). I cannot sing the praises of these breeches enough, they are one of the reasons I haven't purchased the Treadstones yet, I LOVE the segmented seat. But I was disappointed in how these fit me, I think mine are much better. They felt thicker than these, which helps hide some lumps and bumps. I wanted to try the zip fronts on but they didn't have an XL. My biggest issue with the pull-ons is, again, my big hips, but once the waistband gets over them it's fine. I did roll them at the ankle, though, because they're too long on me. And the clingy material makes it look like my hoo-ha is hungry.
    Back: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09133453.jpg
    Front: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09133538.jpg

    For poops and giggles, I tried on the new Ariat Heritage breeches. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty, because I'm not down to a size 36 yet, BUT I did get them on and with a little bit of coaxing get them zippered. Once I get back down to that size, I think these will be REALLY nice; I totally dig the style of the pockets and I am a sucker for houndstooth. Hello motivation!
    Total muffin top/"overpacked sausage casing": http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09133834.jpg

    Now the Bradley Ribb full seats. This is a size 40 and I was SWIMMING in them! They were too big all over so there was no issue with calf fit and thigh fit. I was considering buying these but the seat didn't feel as flexible as the Treadstones, even though they were too big. Still, if you're okay with that, I would recommend getting a couple of pairs and finding what size works for you.
    Big gap! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09134134.jpg

    And then the craziness started. I put these Bradleys on and instantly knew what everyone was talking about. This. Was. Bananas. I was intrigued by the material but there is NO GIVE or stretch in them (same goes for the full seat, no flexibility!). It was too tight in the thighs, I could definitely feel the tightness in the calf (and I have an 18" calf), but what REALLY got me was the rise. It's supposed to be a mid-rise; the breeches sat at my waist but the crotch was hanging down THREE INCHES from my body! The zipper actually went down to the lady parts! That would NOT be comfortable to ride in!
    Riding stance to show just how d*mn low the crotch goes: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09134423.jpg
    Pardon the panty shot, but here you can see how far down the zipper goes (my fingers are holding onto the zip): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09134541.jpg

    Last was the Alexus. This breech made me feel completely terrible about my body. I don't know what size 40 SmartPak used, but it must have been a REALLY small 40. As you can see, the breeches made me look like an overstuffed sausage casing with a muffin top for good measure.
    Front: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09134742.jpg
    Side: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09134802.jpg

    I couldn't get out of them fast enough. They were tight eeeeeverywhere, from the calf on up. I was really, really disappointed. I couldn't tell what kind of rise it was, on me it looks low-rise.

    I was so bummed that I meandered around the store and didn't buy anything. I completely forgot to buy Leather Therapy that I need because I was totally wallowing in some self pity! Clothes shopping for plus sizes is hard enough but it's even worse for riding clothes. I hope that soon, I won't have to worry about the sizes and instead can go back to whining about everything being too long, but it's going to take time. It's a good thing that some companies are listening to the plus-size equestrians and beginning to put more products out there, but we still have a long way to go.

    Hope this review helps.



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2012
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    MrsFitz, I usually wear an XL (if it's a TRUE XL!) on top. I'm a 40D/38DD. I just got a Kerrits top on sale at SmartPak (purchased it online last week) and wore it to the barn yesterday. Just in case, I got the XXL as I wasn't too sure about the Kerrits sizing; it's definitely big/loose on me, but I'm okay with that in case it gets tossed in the dryer by accident. It's this top in Plum Flowers. Its looseness hides things I'd like to be covered up while I'm on my Weight Watchers weight loss adventure.

    All right, well, it was certainly an interesting experience trying all of these breeches on. I tried on the Treadstone Kelly in a size 40 and navy, the FITS All Season pull-on in an XL and taupe, the new Ariat Heritage full seat in espresso and a size 36, the Bradley Plus Ribb full seats in tan, and a size 40, the Bradley full seat in navy and a size 40, and finally, the Alexus full seat in tan and a size 40. Originally I was also going to try on knee patch breeches, but this whole experience left me feeling really bad about myself and I couldn't wait to get out of that dressing room!

    Also, I REALLY should have shown more tan breeches instead of the navy, it may be hard to see in some of the shots.

    So just to recap: I'm just under 5'2", a size 16/18, really short inseam, with a conformational fault of a swoopy lumbar region that makes pants fitting an odd experience--they can have a HUGE gap in the back but will be tight in the front! Like I said in reply to MrsFitz, I'm on WW and thus far have lost 16 lbs.

    I tried the Treadstone Kelly on first, which I know fits me. From the last time I tried them on, I will soon be able to go down a size, woohoo! The length is good on me, I didn't tighten the velcro at the ankles though. I also have HUGE hips, so there's some pulling at the snaps, but otherwise it fits nice, the full seat is flexible, and these are on my list to buy.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09133132.jpg (My dog was with me, her name is Lola)

    Second was the FITS. I have a pair that I got on closeout in the Toast color (brown with black deerskin). I cannot sing the praises of these breeches enough, they are one of the reasons I haven't purchased the Treadstones yet, I LOVE the segmented seat. But I was disappointed in how these fit me, I think mine are much better. They felt thicker than these, which helps hide some lumps and bumps. I wanted to try the zip fronts on but they didn't have an XL. My biggest issue with the pull-ons is, again, my big hips, but once the waistband gets over them it's fine. I did roll them at the ankle, though, because they're too long on me. And the clingy material makes it look like my hoo-ha is hungry.
    Back: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09133453.jpg
    Front: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09133538.jpg

    For poops and giggles, I tried on the new Ariat Heritage breeches. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty, because I'm not down to a size 36 yet, BUT I did get them on and with a little bit of coaxing get them zippered. Once I get back down to that size, I think these will be REALLY nice; I totally dig the style of the pockets and I am a sucker for houndstooth. Hello motivation!
    Total muffin top/"overpacked sausage casing": http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09133834.jpg

    Now the Bradley Ribb full seats. This is a size 40 and I was SWIMMING in them! They were too big all over so there was no issue with calf fit and thigh fit. I was considering buying these but the seat didn't feel as flexible as the Treadstones, even though they were too big. Still, if you're okay with that, I would recommend getting a couple of pairs and finding what size works for you.
    Big gap! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09134134.jpg

    And then the craziness started. I put these Bradleys on and instantly knew what everyone was talking about. This. Was. Bananas. I was intrigued by the material but there is NO GIVE or stretch in them (same goes for the full seat, no flexibility!). It was too tight in the thighs, I could definitely feel the tightness in the calf (and I have an 18" calf), but what REALLY got me was the rise. It's supposed to be a mid-rise; the breeches sat at my waist but the crotch was hanging down THREE INCHES from my body! The zipper actually went down to the lady parts! That would NOT be comfortable to ride in!
    Riding stance to show just how d*mn low the crotch goes: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09134423.jpg
    Pardon the panty shot, but here you can see how far down the zipper goes (my fingers are holding onto the zip): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09134541.jpg

    Last was the Alexus. This breech made me feel completely terrible about my body. I don't know what size 40 SmartPak used, but it must have been a REALLY small 40. As you can see, the breeches made me look like an overstuffed sausage casing with a muffin top for good measure.
    Front: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09134742.jpg
    Side: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-09134802.jpg

    I couldn't get out of them fast enough. They were tight eeeeeverywhere, from the calf on up. I was really, really disappointed. I couldn't tell what kind of rise it was, on me it looks low-rise.

    I was so bummed that I meandered around the store and didn't buy anything. I completely forgot to buy Leather Therapy that I need because I was totally wallowing in some self pity! Clothes shopping for plus sizes is hard enough but it's even worse for riding clothes. I hope that soon, I won't have to worry about the sizes and instead can go back to whining about everything being too long, but it's going to take time. It's a good thing that some companies are listening to the plus-size equestrians and beginning to put more products out there, but we still have a long way to go.

    Hope this review helps.
    I have to get some correcting and reading done, so I hope to write more later. I SOOOO know what you are talking about in getting depressed trying things on. Have you tried the FITS Beka?



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    640

    Default

    No, I haven't--to be honest I'm completely smitten with the deerskin and I don't think the suede would feel the same in the saddle! But next time I'm at a tack store, I will try them on (and hope there's a zippered XL pair to try on, too!).



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb. 24, 1999
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    3,379

    Default

    Boston & BBHM - thank you both so much for your reports! They're really helpful. It's so hard to order breeches online because I never know what the hell they're going to fit like. BBHM especially, I'm a bit shorter than you are so seeing how the lengths are on your legs was super helpful.
    I really wish companies would post lengths on their websites for their breeches because sometimes "regular" is fine and sometimes not so much.



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Indy, glad to help out! And I agree--my inseam is probably 27 or 28" (might even be 26"!) and there is a range of lengths in the breeches I tried on, though they are all labeled "regular." The Treadstones and the Ariats had the perfect length for me, everything else was too long. I have actually talked to FITS about the potential for a short length in addition to the length they have now; I hope they go for it in the future, because I want that mesh around my lower legs! I've been noticing just how sweaty my lower legs are getting through my FITS All Season pull-ons (with Zocks and then half chaps), and I think having some of that mesh would be really helpful.

    Breech length reminds me of bra sizes: absolutely NO standardization!



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I really wish companies would post lengths on their websites for their breeches because sometimes "regular" is fine and sometimes not so much.
    So much this. I'm 5'5" but I have short legs for the height, and some breeches are just ridiculous on me. (Particularly since my lower leg seems to be mostly where the height is lacking - trying to find tall boots makes me cry.)



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb. 24, 1999
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    3,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    Breech length reminds me of bra sizes: absolutely NO standardization!
    Seriously!

    I tend to gravitate towards TS's for breeches because for whatever reason, their "regular" is fairly short. They somewhat fit me wonky in places, but at least the bottoms are above my ankles. They're also one company that has short lengths in some of their breeches. I wish more companies would make short lengths. They almost all come in tall but us shorties are screwed.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2009
    Posts
    537

    Default

    I would like to say that all "long" sizes are not created equal! Many companies will just throw a few extra inches on the bottom without regards for where the knee falls or making the rise any longer to accommodate a longer torso. I can't tell you how many "long" pants I own where the knee seam hits about 4 inches above the top of my knee.

    Canaqua, the only saddles I've found that I really love for my leg and balance are $$$$ (think Butet and CWD). I currently ride in my '98 Pessoa A/O because I love how close contact it is, but the flaps are just a hair off. I have a Bates with a long/forward flap that does accommodate my leg but I just don't feel close enough to the horse on it. The forwardness of the flap seems to help way more than the length. I should have showed a picture of me the the TS Trophy mid-rise 28L - these fit me perfectly, but I always balk at buying them since I worry I'll gain a pound and they'll be too tight.

    Thanks all for the kind words I had fun trying them on and am happy to go back and do research on anything there! BBHM, the mirrors at SmartPak are not super friendly (or maybe it is the lighting?). The only ones I can think of that are harsher are at Nordstroms in Natick. Those make me cry.



  19. #39

    Default

    BostonHJ THANK YOU your basically the same measurements as me so I have the same problems with finding breeches that fit! Side note have you tried the Ariat Olympias they fit me very well but I am either a 26L or 28R wierdly those two sizes fit the same and they have that great Scholler sp? fabric but I don't like that they don't have contrasting (darker) kneepatches.
    I found that even though I am 5'9 the regular bradleys in a 28 fit useable for schooling breeches and are the right price the longs are more bunchy in the crotch area because the rise is higher. I really like the Alexus ones on you though I may be a little straighter (no hip definition).

    I heard something about smartpak having fit testers a few months back has anyone figured out how to get that info?



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2012
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    I am definitely going to have some fun! Contemplating getting another pair of FITS since I have my 20% off coupon to use. I know I can't use it on clearance, but if there's a XL pair of FITS upstairs I will probably buy them ...
    Have you tried on RJ Classics Jackets? What size do you wear? I hate, hate armpit wedgies, so I'm willing to go larger and have it taken in as I have a relatively hourglassy figure.



Similar Threads

  1. SmartPak Breeches??
    By Libby416 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 264
    Last Post: Jun. 25, 2012, 07:43 AM
  2. Bradley Breeches from Smartpak?
    By Blkarab in forum Dressage
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jun. 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
  3. Idea for Smartpak: a breeches comparison chart!
    By Whistler in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Apr. 14, 2012, 09:45 PM
  4. SmartPak Custom Breeches
    By klmck63 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug. 16, 2009, 12:19 AM
  5. SmartPak custom design breeches?
    By Tha Ridge in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: May. 23, 2009, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness