The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default *New* smartpak breeches? what what what!!

http://www.smartpakequine.com/alexus...x?cm_vc=Search

Be still my heart!

I was kind of disappointed in the fit of the cheaper Bradley breeches, yet I find myself compelled to go back to the well and try their new more expensive ones...

Very interesting indeed! I really wanted to like the Bradley breeches but alas, they were a little to chafing in the seat.

I hope these solve that problem!

I'm eager to hear feedback on how these fit.

I'm a little wary of SmartPak sizing ever since I got a Bradley show shirt with arm holes (cuffs) sized appropriately for my 7 year old (i.e. string bean) son. I'm afraid to spend a bunch of money on any other SmartPak clothing without some fellow average-sizers weighing in

Eager to hear about these too. I think people might be a little gun shy though after all the issues with the Bradley...hopefully Smartpak comes on here and chimes in again.

I do think its funny they have on there they're made in Poland...must be some marketing ploy to make us feel better that they're made in Europe versus China

Wish I was so skinny! Still might have to try out a pair of these... I love the bottom, my tailored sportmans always leave a bulge in my boots.

...also wish I had invented SmartPak, what a great idea...
    "Horse Sense is a thing a horse has that keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields

I want these if the sizing has improved from the Bradleys.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I would be nervous to try these too... I liked my Bradley's at first, then after a month the fabric pilled all over, and the fit overall was just strange. Snug in the waist and thighs but very roomy in the crotch area. Yuck. I do love Smartpak though do here's to hoping these are an improvement!

These definitely LOOK interesting...but I think I'll wait until a few braver people have tried them before spending $200....

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    These definitely LOOK interesting...but I think I'll wait until a few braver people have tried them before spending $200....
    I agree; I want to try the full seats but for their price tag, I'm more inclined to buy a pair of FITS (I'm a sucker for contrasting seats, though!).

That being said, if these are in the retail store, I would be happy to try them on and report back; I'm a 16/18 in street clothes, though, so that may factor into whether or not people want me to try them on.

And as an FYI to people, if you have your horse on the Smartpak system, you can receive 10% off all Smartpak tack, apparel, etc. through a rewards program. Not sure if you can get that in the store, but log into your Smartpak account and you should see 10% taken off when you view an item.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am going to SmartPak this afternoon and if they are in stock, will happily try them on and report back. The Bradleys fit me well enough to wear (unlike a number of breeches that just are not proportioned for a tall person) but weren't very flattering.

If both of you two lovely volunteers could try them on it would be super!

And since a lot of the problems with the Bradley -- indeed, my problem -- was a bizarrely small lower leg for the "larger sized" breeches, I would personally really appreciate your review, HanoMare.

Let us know how they seem quality and fabric wise, too.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Will be interested to see the reviews on these breeches also. Like BBHM, I am intrigued by the full seats but for that money I could easily get a pair of Pik's from Amira, so I'd like to know more about fit and quality before I plunk down the ol' credit card.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    If both of you two lovely volunteers could try them on it would be super!

And since a lot of the problems with the Bradley -- indeed, my problem -- was a bizarrely small lower leg for the "larger sized" breeches, I would personally really appreciate your review, HanoMare.

Let us know how they seem quality and fabric wise, too.

Will do! I will be able to get to the store this weekend, and I will try on both the knee patch and the full seats.

BostonHJ, if you would be so kind as to let us know if they are in the store yet, that would be awesome!

I will report back and if you're really lucky/they don't give major muffin top I'll even take pictures It doesn't specify if they are low rise or mid rise which tends to be a major factor in how much I like a breech - I have a very long thigh and equally long torso, so low rise are not my friend. I wish Dover heard this as they literally stock nothing but low rise in their retail store in Wellesley.

Awesome! I will also include photos, though only if I look good in them. Otherwise, a detailed write-up!

OK, here is my lengthy breeches review and comparison Being a Friday night, I hope you are reading it as I am writing it - with a glass of wine in hand. I took photos of me in a few different breeches so hopefully it will help you in comparing the fit to ones you already know.

I really liked the Alexus. They are nice breeches. The material and hardware is a definite upgrade from the Bradley. The wide waistband and double hook closure reminds me a lot of the TS Trophy. The material feels more substantial yet a little less bulky/thick than the Bradley, if that makes any sense. It seems like it would resist stains relatively well and be durable (although of course time would tell that).

The fit is different from the Bradleys in many ways. In general, the sizing is more generous. The sock bottom is DEFINITELY looser and they seem a little bigger in the butt region too

That said - I still like the way the TS Trophy mid-rise fit my particular body more (5'9, somewhere in the 130s pound range, long thigh and torso). The Trophy's still gap at my waist a bit, as all breeches seem to do, but they gap in the front so don't fall down when I get in a saddle. I've been told by a few salespeople I should wear the 28s in these, and while they go on and fit OK... I like a little more room.

Picture time. No comments on me, this is a pants thread!!!

Here is what the TS looks like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8241933...in/photostream

Tummy sucked in to show the gap, but it is there all of the time. These are my favorite breeches at the moment. You can see there is room elsewhere but it is really the waist that is too big.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8241933...in/photostream

Front view of Trophy. Note the absurd knee to waist length - these work for that.

FITS

What a crazy salesgirl that pulled these for me in a small! HA! These are tight but actually decent from the bottom to the thigh; somewhere in my hips I apparently become waaaay oversized for these. I have tried FITS in a medium before with similar but less comical results.

SP Bradleys

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8241933...n/photostream/

Too low rise for me and the tops of the thighs are small enough that it is hard for me to get them up high enough. Loose in the waist.

SP Alexus 30L Knee patch gray color

You can't see in the pictures but the sock bottom is not clinging to my calves. The thighs fit pretty well. The waist gapped just a small amount in the back which I think contributed to the lovely saggy butt effect.

SP Alexus 28L Full seat tan color

These pants make me think, "gosh, did my thighs always look like this?!". It is not my best look. You can see where the 30s were too big in the waist, these are too snug.

I have literally never worn full seats so I can't offer particularly helpful commentary on that material. It is soft, flexible and doesn't seem overly sticky or slippery.

SP Alexus labels

Yay, you can wash and dry them!

The Alexus have the same issues that all breeches seem to have for me these days - a 28 is too small and the 30 is too big. As with other breeches, I feel the rise is shorter on the 28Ls than on the 30Ls by maybe .5" and that is what makes all the difference in the fit being good vs. muffin top. I will stick to the Trophy's since those fit my particular shape a little better, but would swap them out for the Alexus if those fit me better.

So there's the skinny... or not so skinny, depending on which pants I was in. Let me know of any questions and I'll be happy to take a stab at them!

Ugh, I'm still holding out for side zips. Front zips just don't do it for me and my muffin top (although it's more like a bundt cake lately!).
    friend of bar.ka

BBHM, can you also check the new Full Seat Ribb breeches too ? It looks like they got a couple of good reviews on the website. They look intriguing but I am also a little gun shy after the Bradley fitting issues. You are the same size as me so I would appreciate your feed back on them ...

Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    BBHM, can you also check the new Full Seat Ribb breeches too ? It looks like they got a couple of good reviews on the website. They look intriguing but I am also a little gun shy after the Bradley fitting issues. You are the same size as me so I would appreciate your feed back on them ...
    I certainly can, rocky! I am planning on doing a big review like BostonHJ did, trying on several different brands that I know work for me (FITS, the Treadstone Kellys) as well as the Alexus and the new Bradley-esque breeches that have come out (the ribbed ones, etc.). I'm also going to try the Bradleys on as I've never tried them before. And I will do both knee patch and full seat; I wear both when I ride (dressage rider here), and will also try and see if I can sit in a saddle with the full seats on.

And an FYI: I'm about 5'2", so don't base the length of the breeches on me, unless you're around my height!

ETA: Thank you, BostonHJ, for your comprehensive reviews!!

BostonHJ, thank you, thank you, thank you for the review! The pictures were super helpful. Would you say the Alexus would be better with someone with a bit more booty? I am completely lacking in that area so often have my jean pockets hanging out near my thighs. Looks like I'll be skipping these. (And the Bradleys, too - holy low rise!)

And you are a fantastic pants model! I thought your rocked the full seats.

Celeritas, I'm with you on the side zip. For some reason all my front zips bunch super weird and drive me insane.