The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone visited Prague?

Curious to hear any/all thoughts about the city.

I've been there. It's pretty and nice, but it was one of my least favorite cities in Europe. It just seems a little dull, a little less friendly, a little less than it should be.

Fifteen years or so ago. I really enjoyed it. Lots of cultural bits and high quality performances in obscure little halls. Back then, anyway, delicious lunches in street cafes for a pittance, not to mention Pilsner Urquell on tap.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

We visited Prague in 2010 and got to spend a few extra days thanks to the volcano shutting down air travel. We had a wonderful time. Prague is beautiful, full of lots of things to do, and easy for tourists to handle since English is the unofficial second language. We visited Vienna last year, and I enjoyed that too, but Prague seems looser and more youth oriented. That gives it a fun air.

Hope you get to go and enjoy it!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

LOVED IT! But I loved Vienna even more - Vienna is horse heaven! Prague has a really fun vibe though, and I love the windy narrow streets and Charles Bridge and the castle. Though small, the city definitely has distinct areas, like the Jewish quarter, which are fun to explore.

I thought everyone was extremely friendly - my hostel was steps from Old Prague Square, so I had dinner there at the market every night and it was fun talking with the stall owners. I was only in Prague for 2 days; wish I'd spent more time there and less in Bratislava, where I ran out of things to do. But then I could happily live in Vienna, so....
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I've been twice in the last 3 or 4 years, and I loved it. The area of Hradcany and the Lesser Quarter as well as the Old Town is extremely walkable and picturesque, and of course tourist-oriented, but even that can't really mar the picture too much.

I took a train to visit the bone church (Kostnice) near Prague in Kutna Hora, that was creepily awesome. And I'm a fan of Czech cuisine

My husband and I were there in 2006 for 5 days and loved it, my third fav vacation. Would recommend hiring a guide to take you around the city, we did for 3 mornings (4 hours each morning) and she really made the city come alive. We then rented a car and drove to Cesky Krumlov for 2 nights which is a walled city complete with a mote, castle and charming medieval like town; you will not be disappointed. From there we drove to Vienna but stopped and spent half a day in Telc which is another World Heritage site like Cesky Krumlov. The drive from Telc to Vienna was beautiful, lots of countryside. Have a fun trip!
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    LOVED IT! But I loved Vienna even more - Vienna is horse heaven! Prague has a really fun vibe though...
    Vienna has a lot more to it, but Prague is one of my favorite cities in Europe to hang out in. I live in between Brno, CZ and Vienna, so have a fair bit to say about CZ in general - it's an amazing place that isn't much touched by the American tourist. Of course, then there's Budapest.

If you're looking to teach in Prague, you'll need a degree.

I would love to go see all of the cities mentioned here, Prague, Vienna, Budapest. Aaaah maybe that can be a trip MrB and i could take together, once we get the dog care figured out!!
    Just peeked at a map since my geography knowledge is horrible.... I've been to both Dresden and katowice on separate trips,didn't even realize how close i was to Prague... not that I'd have had time to see it, but of course i was closer then than I've been since!

Ooooh to have more money than responsibilities, I'd do nothing but travel!
    I love travel threads, get me all day dreamy...

Thank for all the input! I'm glad to hear such good reviews, though it was what I was expecting (/hoping).

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    If you're looking to teach in Prague, you'll need a degree.
    Actually there are some TEFL programs in Prague that lead to jobs in the city - degree or not.

I love Prague, it's one of my favorite foreign cities. I've been twice, once in 2000 and again in 2008. It's beautiful, friendly, easy to get around, and the food/beer is delicious (I also had the worst glass of wine in my life there, but it cost the equivalent of around 20 cents at the time so really what could I expect...). The language barrier isn't too bad at all, there's a lot of English spoken. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

I loved Vienna too. Budapest isn't at the top of my favorite cities list, but I had the stomach flu while I was there so my less-than-pleasant experience there really wasn't Budapest's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Actually there are some TEFL programs in Prague that lead to jobs in the city - degree or not.
    Friend of mine did the TEFL program in Prague of the summer. She would beg to differ with you.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

RR Are you in Vienna now? If so you *must* go to Pointers in the 4th district for me. It was my home away from home while I lived there and I miss it and my friends most every day. They also have a VERY fun pub quiz there once a week. Food's pretty tasty too.

As for Prague OMG the FOOD!!! It is a foodies paradise. If you go to visit the castle, make sure that you have a hot chocolate at the cafe on the top. The chocolate is so thick that your spoon will stand up by itself! *swoon*
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

I spent a summer semester in the Czech Republic and LOVED it! We spent the majority of the time in Prague, but also traveled all over the CR and spent a week in the mountains in Slovakia.

I took 4 years of French in high school and always figured I would do a semester in France. But all the programs I found in Paris were either for French majors or art/art history majors. The CR program was MUCH more affordable and the coursework was more in line with my major, so I signed up for the CR program and then gave myself a few weeks to travel around Europe afterwards.

I'm still paying off the student loans, and I worked many, many long hours in order to have all the spending $$$ I needed, but it was SO worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post

I took a train to visit the bone church (Kostnice) near Prague in Kutna Hora, that was creepily awesome. And I'm a fan of Czech cuisine
    Yes! Super creepy, but WAY cool! Never thought that in my lifetime I would see a giant chandelier and a coat of arms and giant vases, etc. made entirely out of human bones, or garlands of skulls/crossbones strung across the celing of a church, but I did--guess I can cross that one off the bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    Friend of mine did the TEFL program in Prague of the summer. She would beg to differ with you.
    That's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    I would love to go see all of the cities mentioned here, Prague, Vienna, Budapest. Aaaah maybe that can be a trip MrB and i could take together, once we get the dog care figured out!!
    Just peeked at a map since my geography knowledge is horrible.... I've been to both Dresden and katowice on separate trips,didn't even realize how close i was to Prague... not that I'd have had time to see it, but of course i was closer then than I've been since!

Ooooh to have more money than responsibilities, I'd do nothing but travel!
    I love travel threads, get me all day dreamy...
    Definitely Budapest!!! I did Prague - Vienna - Bratislava - Budapest in 9 days travel time. The only thing I would change from my itinerary is spend 1/2 a day in Bratislava (unless you have a lot more time, in which case do the surrounding area which looked beautiful) and 2 full days in Prague, whereas I really only had 1.5 days in Prague. I spent 3 days in Vienna and 3 in Budapest. Could have easily done more in both cities but lacked time and funds.
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Turns out there's a direct train from Prague to Vienna... Hmmmm.

I visited Prague about 12 years ago. LOVED IT. The city is one of the most picturesque places I've been. I visited in the fall but I long to go back over Christmas when it's snowy... The pictures I've seen look absolutely gorgeous. I also went to Vienna afterwards, also a gorgeous city but was much more expensive at the time. I could kick myself for not going to an SRS show though... I was young and stupidly caved to my boyfriend-at-the-time's disinterest. I shoulda just gone by myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Yes! Super creepy, but WAY cool! Never thought that in my lifetime I would see a giant chandelier and a coat of arms and giant vases, etc. made entirely out of human bones, or garlands of skulls/crossbones strung across the celing of a church, but I did--guess I can cross that one off the bucket list.
    It is creepy, but amazing! Totally worth the train ride to visit! I don't know if it's still this way, but if you want another offbeat experience take the bus into CZ from Dresden... We were pretty shocked to find that the streets in the border town were literally lined with.... Umm.... Working girls... just on the CZ side of the border. LOL! I still laugh about the hilarious look on my ex BF's face when I woke him up to see the sight

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Turns out there's a direct train from Prague to Vienna... Hmmmm.
    Indeed. I took it....5 hours ish, IIRC?! You can't go to Prague and not see Vienna, and vice versa really. They are very close, and Budapest is only a further 4 or so hours from Prague.