The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 14.1 hand Arab gelding - SE NH

Husband's job is tenuous and we need to find a home for our spare large pony. Shelby had been a trail horse for most of his life before we got him. My daughter trained him for mounted games and had a blast with him, taking him to MGAA competitions and Pony Club festival last year. Shelby is not for beginners, as he does have some energy! However, he was used for lessons before we got him, and with an intermediate rider he can be a lot of fun. He's built solid, 14.1 hands, 20 years old, bright bay with a stripe and socks. Can easily carry an adult. He loves to play mounted games and could even be a masters mount with the right rider. He could also go all day on the trail. He has only been ridden English, but he goes in a hackamore and would probably be fine in a western saddle. He does have a deformed hind foot and would require shoes for heavy work, but has been just fine this year for light use barefoot. (His previous owner never put shoes on him at all.) He would also be a great therapy horse, totally cool on the lead, and quiet when not playing games. He'd even be good as a companion, he is low on the totem pole and loves to play without getting rough. We really need to cut back on expenses and would love to find Shelby a lifetime home. Please email me - 4cornersfarm at earthlink dot net

Bumping up as my husband has lost his job. Shelby is probably the most likely of our barn full of elderly ponies to find a home. Easy to get along with, lovebug, came from a neglect situation. We'd just like to find him a new lifetime home.

bumping this for you. People who have not owned an Arabian don't know what they are missing. There are no more people oriented horses IMO. They are generally forward, sensitive which mean a quiet rider can easily ride and control..no kicking to get going...no hauling on their mouths to stop. They pick up on your body/mind/emotions.

I've owned them forever and now am faced with the same situation...re-homing an aged Arabian. In my 40 yrs of owning 'crazy Arabs' (I did rescue in later years and most were just misunderstood), I have to say that the only time I have gotten hurt by horses was by a QH and a pony... not my Arabs.

post pics or a link...might help

I sent you a message to your email.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Shelby has a new home with a COTHer.