The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So it appears that I'm in the ICU and a PSA to riders...

But probably not the kind you're thinking

(PS, not for the squeamish!)

I ride a lot of horses throughout the day and living in Florida, I sweat and get gross just like anyone else. I have this rather unfortunate habit of crashing on the couch after a long day before I bother to change or shower because I'm absolutely beat by the time I walk in the door. And I tend to sit in the same position for a few hours before I get up to shower/change/eat/etc. Well apparently, this can lead to very bad things. Specifically these: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...pilondial-cyst

For your average person, they hurt, they swell at a slow rate, come to a head, rupture, and that's about it. Apparently I'm not your average person. I noticed a tiny hard spot on Sunday morning; but Tuesday evening, it was the size of my entire thumb and looked like someone had taken a meat clever to my backside. And I was *sick*. Not quite as sick as I'd been on the several occasions I've been septic, but I was well on my way to being there.

So I went to the ER to have it drained, still thinking that was all they'd have to do. Yeah, no. The sucker was about 4 inches deep and badly infected with Strep A - the same bacteria most often found in patients with necrotizing fasciitis. Lovely!

Of course this meant lots of packing and an antibiotic. Again, for normal folks, this could all be taking care of at home. For me? Well, I wind up in the ICU. Go figure!!

I have this pesky disease called systemic mastocytosis; basically I make way too many mast cells (super important in the mediation of the allergic response). Unfortunately, this means that I react to almost every drug that goes into my system, even though it's not a true allergic reaction. I've anaphylaxed from pretty much every antibiotic I've ever taken which means that now when I get an antibiotic, I have to get IV steroids and benadryl and be somewhere that I can be intubated if I crash through the meds (which has happened before, ugh.). So I'm stuck here until this damned thing heals, which apparently could be a few weeks. Of course, I'm supposed to have sinus surgery on the 27th for a fungal sinus infection related to the mastocytosis, so I'm just hoping I'll be well enough by then to get back up to Boston to have that done. Le sigh.

So a PSA to riders, sitting in your gross riding clothes after a long day isn't the best of ideas (and apparently this was pretty common during WWII; they called it Jeep Seat) and can - if you're as lucky as I am - land you in the ICU for a few weeks and keep you out of the tack for even longer!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Yowza.

4 inches? 4 inches into where? I didn't think we had 4 inches of flesh to drill into there.

And this is a nice term: Marsupialization -- This procedure involves incision and draining, removal of pus and hair, and sewing of the edges of the fibrous tract to the wound edges to make a pouch.

Thanks for sharing. Too bad there are not horrendous, Youtube-worthy pictures to accompany the article's description.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Yowza.

4 inches? 4 inches into where? I didn't think we had 4 inches of flesh to drill into there.

And this is a nice term: Marsupialization -- This procedure involves incision and draining, removal of pus and hair, and sewing of the edges of the fibrous tract to the wound edges to make a pouch.

Thanks for sharing. Too bad there are not horrendous, Youtube-worthy pictures to accompany the article's description.
    The damned thing goes sideways into the muscle. Not fun

If you put "pilonidal cyst" into youtube, you should find a whole plethora of videos to satisfy your curiosity
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Sorry to hear of your predicament.

Jingles and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

EEK! Big jingles! And I'm getting up and changing/showering now since I do the exact same thing , and I just came in from going running!

Hope you aren't in ICU for to long!

P.

We'll have to keep you entertained while you're in the hospital

I had a friend/coworker who had a good sense of humor and was very matter-of-fact about medical issues, perhaps because his father was a General Practitioner. He had the same type of cyst on his tailbone that you have, and he came back to work a few days after the surgery and told us all about having to wear a Kotex -- not just the normal size like his girlfriend had, but the giant extra-long hospital Kotexes which he demonstrated by holding out his hands about two feet apart from each other. He said it was pretty funny going into the men's room to change his sanitary napkin.

I hope you are up and about sooner than you expect! Get Well.

Oh gosh, that sure stinks! I hope you get better and can get sprung from the ICU soon.

I had one of those about 12 years ago, don't ask me why, I wasn't riding at the time. Fortunately, I could deal with it at home by soaking in a hot tub until it drained. PAINFUL and gross . Sorry you are dealing with this.

I'd forgotten about it...so thanks, I WILL take your good advice and not sit around in my dirty sweaty riding clothes at the end of the day.

Apparently it runs in families, and not related to riding. I had one surgically drained in college, and both brothers have had them, and neither one rides.

Both brothers had girlfriends who had to help them change the packing (I had to go to Mom's house every day to get mine changed). It must have been true love, because both girls are now my sisters-in-law! Anybody who will stay with someone after cleaning and packing their butt abscess is certainly a keeper.

Sorry you are having such trouble, hope you get sprung soon.

Maybe we should start a club or somthing? I too had one of those about the same size dained, Kotex... etc..about 27yrs ago I fear I have another..
    Darn those Navy drs they told me "it will never return" of course they also told me it was caused by a hair folice(sp) that irritated and evetually became infactaed. Dont know if that is true or not forgot about it until recentally went I noticed it.

sounds like yours is a lot worse that mine was.

Take care Jingles
    Friend of bar .ka

Yeah, the causation isn't all that clear but appears to have to do with hair growth. Stuff like prolonged sitting and tight clothing is a risk factor because it might help the process, but I've yet to read anything in scientific literature about dirty clothes that's related to causation.

But...they suck a whole lot. Sorry, OP

City of delusion in the state of total denial

That sounds like a barrel of fun. Best wishes for a swift recovery!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Blech. Blech. Blech. Blech.

Big jingles to you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Gosh, I hope you heal up quickly! That sounds awfully painful.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Sorry about all that, it is really

I never had those and only know one other person that did, several of them, for several years and it was really a serious condition and utterly miserable to live with.
    I expect people used to just die from those before modern medicine procedures and medications.

Good that you are in good hands.

Oh no!! That sounds pretty miserable, jingles for a quick recovery!

I'm trying desperately to resist the urge to google, I know it will really gross me out but there's part of me that just. can't. help. not. looking.

I'm now shuddering looking back at all my fieldwork/camping, going 2 weeks with just stream baths and alternating 2 pairs of pants.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

wow, thanks for the PSA (and who ever, THANK YOU for the Kotex story!).

I am going to share this with my husband, mostly as he goes to way more sweats (so, sitting around for hours in his hot sweaty trunks) than I do, then drives home, crashes on the couch and goes to bed. Sounds like not such a good idea! He will love the Kotex story (THIS big!!!)

I sure hope you feel better ASAP. And really sorry about the reaction to antibiotics (which, having just done done, I hate so much).

Best wishes for a very very speedy recovery.ICU is really no fun at all!!

Jingles for a quick recovery from this and the sinus surgery.

And thanks for the info - DH and I will be better about showering immediately after a long hot sweaty day.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Ooookkaaayyy.

Yeah, totally guilty over here of coming home and sitting around in an inert heap for a while before mustering the strength to shower/eat/tidy the house/etc.

This was very ...motivating to read.

Oh yes. My best friend in high school, a college boyfriend, and my father all had this. The best friend and boyfriend both had surgery to scrape it out, but my father's doctor lanced his, which he said was the most painful thing that he had ever felt. ( This coming from a man who had been shot in the back of the head) All 3 had major pain, but went on to be fine afterwards. My best friend did end up having to have surgery again years later, but has not had any issues since.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Yeah, the causation isn't all that clear but appears to have to do with hair growth. Stuff like prolonged sitting and tight clothing is a risk factor because it might help the process, but I've yet to read anything in scientific literature about dirty clothes that's related to causation.

But...they suck a whole lot. Sorry, OP
    Thanks! It feels a thousand times better than it did, I'll tell ya!

There are a lot of varying opinions on cause, but one of the biggies is irritation (just enough to make the skin inflamed and potentially open to infection) coupled with compression of the tailbone area while sitting in the same position. Usually they find things like hair and other tissues in the pilonidal sinus when it's drained. The most common cases of this were documented during WWII and dubbed "Jeep Seat" because they were mostly seen in soldiers who spent all day riding around in one position and constantly banging up the tailbone area while not in the cleanest of conditions.

Thanks for all the well-wishes, everyone! I appreciate it!