The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bold/blue is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Reagan took that economy and with help from Congress made some of it better. For Whom? Not my family or most of those in the rural area where I grew up. New school clothes were a major treat for me during most of the Reagan era, let alone extras.
    Clinton was was handed an recovering economy and with help from Congress allowed it to flourish. Yes. Too bad THIS Congress isn't nearly so willing to put aside corporate interests to work with the President to do what's right for the American People
    Bush was handed a somewhat shakey economy and before he had time to do anything we had 9/11. That day and the following days ripped the guts out of our economy and we have been trying to put it back to together again. What ripped the guts out of our economy was the "war" in Iraq more than Afghanistan. A war contrived of false charges in order to further corporate and political agendas, not to keep us safer. There was nothing in Iraq to keep us safer from.
    Obama was handed a crap economy and has reminded me far too much of Carter. If Congress would put aside personal agendas and those of their corporate buddies, he might have a fighting chance to make a change.

Listening to Slick Willy is sort of like eating maple sugar candy.

A tiny amount is pleasant, a whole lot is a good way to rot your teeth and upset your stomach.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Ummm...he lied to the entire country about his infidelity..not just to his spouse. I remember it pretty well from the levels of disgust from a lot of people. Sorry but I hold the president to at least a high an ethical standard as military officers he supposedly commands who can lose their career if found guilty of adultery or a blatant lie as Clinton did.

Did you realize that a military officer's commission comes from the President himself? So shouldn't the man signing that commission be held to at least the same standard as the men and women who he appoints to command the Armed Forces?

I honestly could have forgiven the sex scandal if he'd only been truthful from the start.
    Well, unless you're his wife, why would you care?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    Well, unless you're his wife, why would you care?
    Because the President wears many hats. One of those is "moral example." How do think a parent trying to teach a kid about truth fared when the kid looked at them and said, "well, it's OK for the President to lie!!!"

The marriage vow is the most basic contract a person enters. One who will break that contract will break any contract.

I know being an advocate of moral behavior is declasse' in today's world, but maybe some of our present difficulties lie in our failure, as a society, to demand moral and ethical behavior from our leaders.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Listening to Slick Willy is sort of like eating maple sugar candy.

A tiny amount is pleasant, a whole lot is a good way to rot your teeth and upset your stomach.

G.
    Don't put him in your mouth then.
    Sheilah

Because the President wears many hats. One of those is "moral example." How do think a parent trying to teach a kid about truth fared when the kid looked at them and said, "well, it's OK for the President to lie!!!"

The marriage vow is the most basic contract a person enters. One who will break that contract will break any contract.

I know being an advocate of moral behavior is declasse' in today's world, but maybe some of our present difficulties lie in our failure, as a society, to demand moral and ethical behavior from our leaders.

G.
    Thanks Guilherme for answering. Your answer reflects my feelings quite well.

I just finished watching the speech. It was really well-delivered, and really on-point.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Because the President wears many hats. One of those is "moral example."
    Really? Says who? I feel the same way about this as I do about sports figures and entertainers having to be "role models" for our youth... why? They play sports. Or sing. What happened to family, friends, REAL PEOPLE setting the moral compass?

By the same token I want political savvy, leadership, perseverance, diplomacy, BRAINS (yes, it's not a dirty word) from my President. I will look for my spiritual and moral guidance elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I'd rather have a President who slept around than one who ran the country into the ground by creating a war over oil (yet we expect something that was destroyed over eight years to be fixed completely in less than four) or one who will cater to corporations and try to tell us that that benefits the rest of us. (IMO that was between him and Hilary a) should have been kept that way. It had ZERO bearing on his abilility to do his job. Or do the ones who vilify him think that everyone who has an affair should be immediately fired from their jobs, whether they run a corporation or flip burgers? If that's the case, at least your morals are consistent. If not, you are a hypocrite. Yes, he lied about it...maybe because he,oh, IDK, was trying to keep his marriage together? Again, if Joe the Janitor cheated and then when confronted, denied it, would you demand HIS head on a platter too?) I care about what a President does in his JOB, not what he does in bed. And Clinton was one hell of a President. If only we could return to the prosperity of his administration!
    Clap clap clap clap!!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Ummm...he lied to the entire country about his infidelity..not just to his spouse. I remember it pretty well from the levels of disgust from a lot of people. Sorry but I hold the president to at least a high an ethical standard as military officers he supposedly commands who can lose their career if found guilty of adultery or a blatant lie as Clinton did.

Did you realize that a military officer's commission comes from the President himself? So shouldn't the man signing that commission be held to at least the same standard as the men and women who he appoints to command the Armed Forces?

I honestly could have forgiven the sex scandal if he'd only been truthful from the start.
    Worrying about Ethics and sex is...well dumb. IMO. I have never judged ANYONE married or not about who they boink. I simply don't care about anyone's sex life. Never have. Not my nor anyone's problem.

I would have lied too especially knowing how most people react over mostly none of their business.

I still resent 'my' tax dollars being spent trying to get his ass.

It goes to character, integrity.

Considering so few understand this it is no wonder our country is going to hell in a hand basket.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Don't put him in your mouth then.
    Sheilah

This is the best punchline ever!

Didn't watch it, but saw clips of it this morning. He still looks like a creepy pervert to me... Waving that finger around. God knows where that's been!

I'd vote for Clinton if he could be re-elected. He's brilliant, and I think he was a great president. But I won't vote for Obama. Charisma and political correctness alone does not = good president. Unless, of course, you're a liberal. Example here:

Ashley Judd, without question, is one of the most overly dramatic, hypersensitive, ridiculously absurd Obama-loving celebrities in existence today. And I say that knowing full well she's got a LOT of competition for that distinction. But in addition to Ashley being "speechless" (Gawd, if only THAT were true) she also had these things to say.
    About the DNC itself: "It’s Christmas every four years. I hope President Obama, at some point during the campaign, asks me to introduce him. I have a niche: I introduce two-term Democratic presidents.”
    About President Clinton: “He’s a friend. He wrote one of my recommendations for grad school.”
    CAN YOU EVEN BELIEVE THAT SHE HAD BILL CLINTON WRITE HER A GRAD SCHOOL RECOMMENDATION??
    Seriously - there is no one more nauseating on this planet.
    And naturally, because she was an official TN delegate, she was chosen to announce the state's official nomination of Obama for president. Because, you know, nothing represents middle class regular Americans better than, as our own Hannah955 put it, "a multi-millionaire celebrity with homes in two countries, whose husband collects Ferraris and Porsches. I mean, they couldn't select some union leader? Working mom? Person of color? Newp. Starf*ckers, all of them."
    I laughed so hard at that. In all their efforts to appeal to regular workin' folk, Democrats continue to look like the elitist snobs they are.
    And it wasn't enough just to say in this short clip that Michelle Obama's speech was "breathtaking." Ashley took to Twitter to say it there too, and to misspell the word "precise."

Not to mention all of the sexual harrassment issues, and whitewater, etc.

G.
    Very good post, G. Perhaps we as a society need to bring back shame as well as morals.

We've become to lax and blasé as many people seem to brush off infidelity as well as other immoral behaviors as a normal part of life.

Just because you dislike the man, does not make what he said any less true or less well delivered.

Agreed on Ashley Judd. Cannot stand her.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Really? Says who? I feel the same way about this as I do about sports figures and entertainers having to be "role models" for our youth... why? They play sports. Or sing. What happened to family, friends, REAL PEOPLE setting the moral compass?

By the same token I want political savvy, leadership, perseverance, diplomacy, BRAINS (yes, it's not a dirty word) from my President. I will look for my spiritual and moral guidance elsewhere.

Clap clap clap clap!!
    truth is, those sports figures and entertainers probably have way more influence over what a kid does than our president. Sad but true.....

How many kids these day say they want to be president when they grow up? I'll bet a lot more want to be professional football players or American idols.