The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    This. It really is to bad he will always be remembered for Monica.
    Truly, when I think of him, I think of him with that scandal and his lies over it. Once so marked, I'll never trust someone who lied that blatantly ever again not to mention what he actually DID. Had he been in the military and an officer, he would have had to resign his commission in shame an disgrace but as Commander in Chief, he was held to a lower standard of ethics. Sorry to rain on the parade but I will remember him always for that and for little else.

I was in the military when that happened and I recall the overall feeling of disgust from nearly all the service members I knew.

It was a great speech. Too bad he's not the one running for office. His speech does nothing to inspire me to vote for his party.

So Daydream Believer, how do you feel about Newt Gingrich and many of the others before him? Just curious.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Truly, when I think of him, I think of him with that scandal and his lies over it. Once so marked, I'll never trust someone who lied that blatantly ever again not to mention what he actually DID. Had he been in the military and an officer, he would have had to resign his commission in shame an disgrace but as Commander in Chief, he was held to a lower standard of ethics. Sorry to rain on the parade but I will remember him always for that and for little else.

I was in the military when that happened and I recall the overall feeling of disgust from nearly all the service members I knew.
    I have to agree with your post. Eloquent speeches are one thing, but they should have eloquent behavior to back them up and in Clinton's case, his extreme fall from grace pretty well obliterated any respect he had earned at that point. I love eloquent speeches and had I tuned in, I might have loved his speech as others here apparently did. However, that speech would not be the determining factor in who I decide to vote for.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Phew! A good speaker doesn't make the crap he says true. Glad the libs enjoyed him, try to fact check what he and Moshell blathered.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    So Daydream Believer, how do you feel about Newt Gingrich and many of the others before him? Just curious.
    Defensive at all? It's obvious by how quickly you jump on anyone who posts something you don't like or agree with.

To answer your question, I find sex scandals or any thing regarding poor ethics in our leaders to be very distasteful regardless of party or affiliations. What I really hate though is a liar and Clinton outright lied and then was caught in a lie.

ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    GIVE THAT MAN A CIGAR!!...Whoops...maybe not.

He is a good public speaker,though.

Everybody lies, especially to their spouses about infidelity.

Last summer I don't really remember any "reaching out" by the Republicans - I remember them playing chicken with our credit.

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    Guilherme - Clinton repeatedly said that, when he was president, there were Republicans in Congress who were willing to work across the divide to get things done for the country. So yes, he did give credit. You obviously didn't watch the speech - your choice - but doesn't that makes it harder for you to make cogent comments about its content?

Republicans now criticize Obama for "not reaching out to Republicans." Even if you believe that failure to reach out is accurate, I can't help but wonder something. In light of the now disclosed 2009 Inauguration Night meeting of top Republicans to strategize how to thwart any and all Obama programs/policies, and the later blatant boasting of Minority Leader Mitch McConnell that his top (only?) priority was ensuring Obama's 2012 defeat, how would the Republicans have reacted to such overtures? I think the answer to that is stunningly obvious.

For years I've thought the GOP slogan should be: "I've Got Mine - FU!" Last night's version wasn't quite as blunt as mine but it is right on target.

I'd rather have a President who slept around than one who ran the country into the ground by creating a war over oil (yet we expect something that was destroyed over eight years to be fixed completely in less than four) or one who will cater to corporations and try to tell us that that benefits the rest of us. (IMO that was between him and Hilary a) should have been kept that way. It had ZERO bearing on his abilility to do his job. Or do the ones who vilify him think that everyone who has an affair should be immediately fired from their jobs, whether they run a corporation or flip burgers? If that's the case, at least your morals are consistent. If not, you are a hypocrite. Yes, he lied about it...maybe because he,oh, IDK, was trying to keep his marriage together? Again, if Joe the Janitor cheated and then when confronted, denied it, would you demand HIS head on a platter too?) I care about what a President does in his JOB, not what he does in bed. And Clinton was one hell of a President. If only we could return to the prosperity of his administration!

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I'd rather have a President who slept around than one who ran the country into the ground by creating a war over oil (yet we expect something that was destroyed over eight years to be fixed completely in less than four) or one who will cater to corporations and try to tell us that that benefits the rest of us. (IMO that was between him and Hilary a) should have been kept that way. It had ZERO bearing on his abilility to do his job. Or do the ones who vilify him think that everyone who has an affair should be immediately fired from their jobs, whether they run a corporation or flip burgers? If that's the case, at least your morals are consistent. If not, you are a hypocrite. Yes, he lied about it...maybe because he,oh, IDK, was trying to keep his marriage together? Again, if Joe the Janitor cheated and then when confronted, denied it, would you demand HIS head on a platter too?) I care about what a President does in his JOB, not what he does in bed. And Clinton was one hell of a President. If only we could return to the prosperity of his administration!
    The funny thing is the two men in politics with the some of the worst morals ran this country best in the 1990's.
    Bubba and Newt.
    Both play around but Newt doesn't lie - he just.won't.talk.about.it.

Carter was handed a crap economy and with help from Congress made it worst.
    Reagan took that economy and with help from Congress made some of it better.
    Clinton was was handed an recovering economy and with help from Congress allowed it to flourish. Until the Internest bubble began to burst.
    Bush was handed a somewhat shakey economy and before he had time to do anything we had 9/11. That day and the following days ripped the guts out of our economy and we have been trying to put it back to together again. The housing bubble was much like the Internet bubble, only more people were adversly affected.
    Obama was handed a crap economy and has reminded me far too much of Carter.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

HenryisBlaisin' - Bravo. And speaking of oil, what happened to the promise that money from Iraq's oil was going to pay for the war?
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Apparently half of it was ad lib, which makes it even more amazing.
    Here's an interesting comparison of what he said compared to what was written. He was ad libbing more than Clint Eastwood, but I bet nobody was tempted to yank Clinton off the stage

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...e-wrote/56562/

I agree. I love Bill Clinton as a politician, but I'd NEVER marry him. I love my husband, as a husband, but I do NOT want him running the country.

This.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    Everybody lies, especially to their spouses about infidelity.
    Ummm...he lied to the entire country about his infidelity..not just to his spouse. I remember it pretty well from the levels of disgust from a lot of people. Sorry but I hold the president to at least a high an ethical standard as military officers he supposedly commands who can lose their career if found guilty of adultery or a blatant lie as Clinton did.

Did you realize that a military officer's commission comes from the President himself? So shouldn't the man signing that commission be held to at least the same standard as the men and women who he appoints to command the Armed Forces?

I honestly could have forgiven the sex scandal if he'd only been truthful from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Ummm...he lied to the entire country about his infidelity..not just to his spouse. I remember it pretty well from the levels of disgust from a lot of people. Sorry but I hold the president to at least a high an ethical standard as military officers he supposedly commands who can lose their career if found guilty of adultery or a blatant lie as Clinton did.

Did you realize that a military officer's commission comes from the President himself? So shouldn't the man signing that commission be held to at least the same standard as the men and women who he appoints to command the Armed Forces?

I honestly could have forgiven the sex scandal if he'd only been truthful from the start.
    Maybe it's different for warrant officers buy my CW5 BIL was certainly having an affair on base while he was in the army.

ETA:as did Gen Eisenhower
    Last edited by carolprudm; Sep. 6, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    I agree. I love Bill Clinton as a politician, but I'd NEVER marry him. I love my husband, as a husband, but I do NOT want him running the country.
    Personally, I think its too bad the Dems threw Hillary under the bus and nominated Obama. The better ticket would have been Hillary as pres. and Obama as vp. It would have given Obama some much needed experience and he would have been ready to move up and would have been a better pres. I think Obama is a mediocre pres but the other side is down right scary.

I have met Bill. Back when he was govenor of Arkansas, I worked in state government. He was beyond hot back then. Trust me, if he'd sent a state trooper over to ask me to meet him in private, I'd have done it in a heartbeat. I was such a hussy back then. I can see why he had lots of women. He has a great deal of persona charisma. When you met him he had a way of making you think that you and your opinion were important.

One of my paint colts barn name is Clinton. His registered name Legend from Arkansas.

Daydream Believer said what I think. If you can't trust the man to control his zipper, how can you trust him with something as powerful as being President? That he thinks so little of and disrespects his wife and Monica is a whole different topic.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Maybe it's different for warrant officers buy my CW5 BIL was certainly having an affair on base while he was in the army
    I think Warrant officers are non commissioned. Commissioned means they received it from the President and that is usually Lieutenants, Captains, Majors, Colonels, etc... I may be wrong on their actual status. Different services like the Navy have other titles for officers such as Commanders, Lt. Commanders but they are also commissioned.

I was a non commissioned officer..NCO..when I was in. My husband retired as a Major. He still has his framed commission certificate somewhere.

The military in general, at least when I was in, takes a pretty dim view of sexual indiscretion married or otherwise...but adultery is still a court martial offense and it will end the career of any "officer" if a person is charged and convicted. A DUI also ends a career in the military particularly for anyone in a leadership role. When I was in, the military held you accountable for your actions.