The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It was a great speech and a great night. Well done, Bubba, well done. My horses had to wait for their night check, I was too engrossed in watching our DVR of the speech.

I also thought Elizabeth Warren did a great job. Very nice "warm up act" (as she put it).

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Can we vote him back into office?? He could fix this mess
    I wanted Hiliary to be vice president just so Bill could be back in DC. Obama should have chosen her as VP but I guess he was worried about Bill getting all the press if he'd been close to the White House.

Clinton (Bill) has empathy and charisma. I wish Obama would choose him as our roving ambassador to the world.

I'll admit that was pretty good for a guy who has trouble with definitions of words like "it" and "is".

He always gives a great speech. Would be easier to believe, however, if he hadn't been caught off mic praising Ryan's budget efforts, spoken against obamas position on taxes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    He really did Obama a huge favor. Bubba rocks, warts and all.
    This. It really is to bad he will always be remembered for Monica.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    This. It really is to bad he will always be remembered for Monica.
    Yes Monica, Gennifer Flowers, Paula Jones, lying eye in the camera to the American public, impeachment proceedings, law license suspended.

All the qualities I want in a leader of our country.

But at LEAST he never lied about his Marathon race!!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I was so bummed to have missed it live. Regardless of the state of the rest of the everything, one of the beauties of modern life is that one can go back and watch such things online! I do have problems with Mr. Clinton's apparent morals but not usually his politics (which I do believe to be separate, albeit related, issues) and when he's on, he is on as an orator.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Can we vote him back into office?? He could fix this mess
    hell imo he can have all the (consenting) interns he wants if he can fix our mess!

I watched it on CNN and the Republican strategist they had on said glumly that the speech was the "moment" that reelected Obama.

I have watched both conventions (so far), and I have been struck by how much more the Democratic convention looks so much more like America at this point in our history. Young and old. Men and women. Black, white, Hispanic, Asian. This country just does not look like the Republican convention any more, with their predominantly male audience, with some women and a few token "minorities" thrown in.
    Sheilah

LOVED the speech. Bill is always so charismatic and on point.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    ...I have watched both conventions (so far), and I have been struck by how much more the Democratic convention looks so much more like America at this point in our history. Young and old. Men and women. Black, white, Hispanic, Asian. This country just does not look like the Republican convention any more, with their predominantly male audience, with some women and a few token "minorities" thrown in.
    Sheilah
    I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    hell imo he can have all the (consenting) interns he wants if he can fix our mess!
    Yeah. Hell, I'd merrily elect the guy President For Life at this point.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Love him or hate him, the man knows how to give a speech and hold an audience. Apparently half of it was ad lib, which makes it even more amazing.

Didn't watch the whole thing.

Did he credit the Republican Congress, particularly Newt Gingrich, for his success? If not it was vintage "Slick Willy."

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Didn't watch the whole thing.

Did he credit the Republican Congress, particularly Newt Gingrich, for his success? If not it was vintage "Slick Willy."

G.
    Clinton as usual is a great orator.

Agree with Guilherme - Clinton and Congress, especially Newt, worked together in the mid-1990's.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Love him or hate him, the man knows how to give a speech and hold an audience. Apparently half of it was ad lib, which makes it even more amazing.
    This! The guy is undeniably a great speaker.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Guilherme - Clinton repeatedly said that, when he was president, there were Republicans in Congress who were willing to work across the divide to get things done for the country. So yes, he did give credit. You obviously didn't watch the speech - your choice - but doesn't that makes it harder for you to make cogent comments about its content?

Republicans now criticize Obama for "not reaching out to Republicans." Even if you believe that failure to reach out is accurate, I can't help but wonder something. In light of the now disclosed 2009 Inauguration Night meeting of top Republicans to strategize how to thwart any and all Obama programs/policies, and the later blatant boasting of Minority Leader Mitch McConnell that his top (only?) priority was ensuring Obama's 2012 defeat, how would the Republicans have reacted to such overtures? I think the answer to that is stunningly obvious.

For years I've thought the GOP slogan should be: "I've Got Mine - FU!" Last night's version wasn't quite as blunt as mine but it is right on target.
    Last edited by GotMyPony; Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo!
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    I watched it on CNN and the Republican strategist they had on said glumly that the speech was the "moment" that reelected Obama.

I have watched both conventions (so far), and I have been struck by how much more the Democratic convention looks so much more like America at this point in our history. Young and old. Men and women. Black, white, Hispanic, Asian. This country just does not look like the Republican convention any more, with their predominantly male audience, with some women and a few token "minorities" thrown in.
    Sheilah
    I agree - I was struck by the diversity of the audience, and happy to see that those people felt that it was THEIR America too.

It was a BRILLIANT speech. He is astonishing, so articulate, so intelligent, so on point...and at the same time, accessible, easy to understand, so relaxed, funny and smart.
    Much of it was unscripted and adlib as well, I understand.

I love Elizabeth Warren, she was a great 'warm-up' for Bill.
    Sandra Fluke did well too, as did the Nun on the Bus.

I didn't know if I would be able to stay up to watch Bill, but once he started I was so energized - I could have run a 'marathon'.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Fred-- I felt the same way after watching it. The many political threads on this OT session, the RNC, the "talking heads" have all got me down, but Clinton's speech has revived me, fired me up, made me hopeful that the rational, moderate, optimistic Americans that I identify with will prevail in the end.

Perhaps the vocal Right who post here, repeatedly, are a minority opinion after all??
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Fred-- I felt the same way after watching it. The many political threads on this OT session, the RNC, the "talking heads" have all got me down, but Clinton's speech has revived me, fired me up, made me hopeful that the rational, moderate, optimistic Americans that I identify with will prevail in the end.

Perhaps the vocal Right who post here, repeatedly, are a minority opinion after all??
    I feel the same way CC. I do get very discouraged- but the overwhelming INTELLIGENCE and enthusiasm, the FORWARD THINKING of the DNC also gives me hope that rational, moderate, thinking, caring Amerians that I too identify with (as a Canadian) will step up and prevail.

The people who have been speaking at the DNC?
    These are people I can admire, relate to, people who give me hope.
    The other guys?
    I despair.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!