The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Toy longevity

Okay I on impulse (it was <10$ so not a huge investment) got one of those big exersize balls for my boy and he loved it but he keeps popping the plug out and deflating it. The first time he had it he got the air plug out in about 15 seconds or so then flung the deflated ball carcase around like the mule did the mountain lion.

I tried gluing the plug in with marine 5200 glue which all the sailors swear by* but aparrantly it needs air to cure because 48 hours later it was still wet (Fail) so I pulled the plug out, cleaned it off, switched plugs with a similar toy that had a slighly larger plug of the same plastic and put rubber cement on the end in an attempt to increase strength. It increased the playtime to almost 5 minutes.
    I have one of the big green Parelli balls on order but the horse seems to like this one so if anyone has any ideas to keep it inflated during his abuse, toss it out.

I have attached a link to a video so you cansee what he does to the poor toy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaI8C...eature=mh_lolz

*It is known as 'F- the next guy' glue because once a person uses it it will tear apart fiberglass before coming apart.
    I ain't voting for Gennifer Flower's ex-boyfriend's wife!

Gorilla glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Gorilla glue?
    Even if it would stick it dries too hard and would shatter, plus it it expands while hardening.
    I ain't voting for Gennifer Flower's ex-boyfriend's wife!

No suggestion for fixing the current ball, but you might look at boat buoys for him. They are really durable and I have found them on amazon or eBay for pretty cheap. This is a super old video of my horse with one:

Tovin and Red Ball

He did manage to get a hole in that one when I let it get deflated a little. I have one now that is bigger and pumped full so he can't get a grip on the ball well enough to pop it. He swings it by the rope and has a, forgive me, ball!

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

My experience with inflatable balls of any size is that I can't leave them unattended with toy happy horses. I too had a horse pull out a plug. The plug had teeth marks. The ball never held air after that and I had to pitch it. and if you permanently afix the plug in the hole, the ball will still lose air probably. Then you won't be able to get the plug out to fill it up.

I would save your balls for supervized play. I second the boat bouys. Also the retriever dog floats are good too. Meant for teeth unlike the boat bouys. also, a cheap alternative is a gallon milk jug. Readily available, tossable once crunched. replaced and WOW New Toy happiness. Plus you can drop grain or treats inside and smart horses learn to toss them around getting the treats.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

I like the boat buoy idea.

Unfortunately, our three geldings only like "toys" they aren't supposed to have. Actually give them a horse-toy and they won't touch it.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    I like the boat buoy idea.

Unfortunately, our three geldings only like "toys" they aren't supposed to have. Actually give them a horse-toy and they won't touch it.
    Yep, my guy adores the corn broom as a toy. If I can ever get a video of him twirling it (he twirls everything), smacking himself with the handle, I will post it -hilarious. But it destroys the broom!

The retriever float is one I never thought of. I'll have to look at that as my guy would love it. He gets plastic jugs all the time. They don't last, but are cheap. Whatever we can tie a rope on, he plays with. He's IR, so on dry lot most of the time, o I have to keep him entertained!