The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another nice one on CANTER: Winaholic

I've seen a lot of great horses on CANTER lately... good thing I'm not shopping, and none are in my area or I'd have a barnful!

This guy is really interesting to me-- Winaholic, by Tiznow, out of an Unbridled/Roberto mare. A pretty classy horse, 20 starts and earned $132K, raced in some lower level handicaps and stakes placed (3rd in the Curlin 2010). Don't know about his current soundness or connections; was once owned by Repole Stable (of Uncle Mo fame). His dam is a half-sister to Winter Memories (earner of $1.2M). Very, very well bred.

Photo isn't very flattering, he looks skinny and perhaps back sore, standing funky behind. I think in person, or a better picture, would show him much better... he seems to have a weak hind leg, but that photo really doesn't help. Has a nice front end, good shoulder. Pasterns are upright (esp behind) and that's pretty typical of Tiznows...but they seem to have held up ok for racing (though x-rays may say otherwise!). Also typical Tiznow-- a beautiful face and the look of eagles. From watching race replays, he's got a huge stride, very free through the shoulder (not much knee), and pretty correct. He gallops nicely uphill, not plowing on his forehand. I'd love to see him in person if he was closer!
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

I agree he has a weak hind leg and across the loin....based soely on the photo given a 2nd and 3rd look I would put him way down on a list for a look see...