The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Multiple ASBs in need of homes quickly...

I received news this morning that due to the owner's failing health, multiple American Saddlebreds are in need of homes in short order.

The daughter is pushing to simply euthanize the lot of them-

I am trying to set up a time this weekend to visit the farm, figure out what horses they have exactly.

My understanding is that it is roughly a dozen horses.
    Youngest is a weanling, multiple youngsters and broodmares, plus at least one stallion.

This breeder has preserved some of the older bloodlines in his breeding program- he's bred a lot of nice quality ASBs over the years who are pretty, correct, and VERY amateur friendly.

I don't think many (if any) have had any formal training so for those who might want a sport horse prospect, this could be a way to get your hands on a good solid amateur friendly ASB who has not had formal saddle seat training.

I am trying to get permission from the owner to visit the farm this weekend to get more info on all of them and pictures....

If you think you may be interested, please PM me or email blairasb at comcast dot net and I will forward you more information as I have it.

Located in michigan

Default A case in Missouri also ``` listed on Trot ~ 20 head ~

There is another case in Missouri `` listed on 'trot" 20 head needing new homes

Is this the beginning ? more to come ?
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

@ blair asb-not looking for myself but might know people who can help-sent you PM

@ZuZu-where on TROT? wasnt their giveaways sections closed awhile ago?

-wishing for that perfect world where every horse has a soft spot to land....
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Default Yes that section was closed but look under Horse Sales & Auctions ~

Yes, Rescue was closed but this was smuggled in last night under Horse Sales and Auctions ..

* Thread is now locked but Mod 3 was nice enough to allow the original post to remain so people might be able to help with these horses

I have called a few people about the horses and found one 'interested party'
    He called last night and left a message and has yet to hear back.

Hope this helps ~

quote=thathorse;6547587]@ blair asb-not looking for myself but might know people who can help-sent you PM

@ZuZu-where on TROT? wasnt their giveaways sections closed awhile ago?

-wishing for that perfect world where every horse has a soft spot to land....[/quote]
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

thx Zu Zu!
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Ugh... I hope not.

It's a sad sad situation- older former responsible breeder who got old and got dementia and has it in his head that breeding horses is the thing to do....

I will be going up to the farm on sunday to meet up with his son to get pictures of all the horses and as much info as I can get on bloodlines, who's registered, etc.... Will set up a FB group to help mass distribute this information.

The estimated number of horses upon speaking to his son is actually double what initially thought- I'm now told it's about 25 head, there were four new babies this year... :-( . The good news is that we already have tentative homes for about five horses including one of the stallions, and a couple of foster home offers, sight unseen....

Quote Originally Posted by blairasb View Post
    Ugh... I hope not.

It's a sad sad situation- older former responsible breeder who got old and got dementia and has it in his head that breeding horses is the thing to do....

I will be going up to the farm on sunday to meet up with his son to get pictures of all the horses and as much info as I can get on bloodlines, who's registered, etc.... Will set up a FB group to help mass distribute this information.

The estimated number of horses upon speaking to his son is actually double what initially thought- I'm now told it's about 25 head, there were four new babies this year... :-( . The good news is that we already have tentative homes for about five horses including one of the stallions, and a couple of foster home offers, sight unseen....
    Can you get me photos and bloodlines? The owner of the facility I am the caretaker at might be interested. She use to be a top ASB breeder, but has gotten out but still does rescue. And there is a possability some of those horses might have come from her facility here in WI.

These guys are in NJ, but may be able to at least provide some contacts

http://www.saddlebredrescue.com/

as far as I know they have a pretty good reputation.

Good luck.

Well, i have relatively good news, having gone to the farm yesterday

The good news is that the horses are in relatively good condition. There are a few at the low end of the pecking order who are genuinely thin, but all have some pasture and they are getting hay. Hooves are neglected, but no elf slippers- just very cracked and broken off. They are getting a second cutting of hay off the fields next week, but I don't think it will be enough to sustain their numbers through the winter.

There are some phenominal bloodlines out there, as I suspected- lots of linebred Stonewall King, and I think some Peavine- The old, hardy, little bit late maturing but able to do a full day's work but still attractive and correct horses. There are several GORGEOUS broodmares out there, 4 new babies this year (3 colts, 1 filly I think, a couple of 2 to 3 year old stud colts who hopefully will be getting gelded in the next few weeks if the son can come up with the money for that to happen - the farm's bank accounts have been frozen, so they are doing for these horses as best they can with the son's finances and their existing assets)

Right now things are at a standstill- the son is going to court to become guardian/executor/whatever you call it in this situation. we have home offers for multiple horses that are contingent on being able to get their papers or get them registered. A friend of the family has done a good job of getting dna samples and keeping track of who is who. I think we can get anything on the place figured out and registered without problem. Going out again next weekend to start haltering some of these things, getting horses IDd in the flesh.... Right now, we would be able to relocate some horses as the owner does not really know what all he has out in the pasture... However, nothing could happen in terms of registering until the son is put in charge, and of course there is a chance of that not happening with the court. In that case, horses would not be taken back- they wouldn't be missed, but then someone is stuck with a horse who won't be registerable which I know for some is a dealbreaker....

The ideal situation is to get all the stud colts cut and rehomed, the youngsters who could have a career with somebody in new homes (plus any mares who have bloodlines that shoudln't be lost). Cut the herd down to just a select few broodies that the estate can maintain, etc.....

I know someone who shows ASB's. He might be interested. Do you have a facebook page set up yet? Or can you email me info on where they are at? We are also in MI but an exact location would help. Maybe I can help get a few placed. My email is DerbyLynFarms@gmail.com

Just checking in. I know some saddlebred peeps in Indiana/Wisconsin area that might take some papered or not (if academy prospects, perhaps) and could probably help place others. I would also think I could find a home or two in Texas for some sport horse type depending on transport options. I would consider taking one myself for a sport horse/dressage prospect and wouldn't have to have papers.

If there's still need, let me know.

Are these horses still available? and where can we see pictures? I might consider taking a gelding of riding age.