The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yummy Mashes for horses!?

Does anyone have any yummy mash recipes? (With or with out bran)

Also with all do respect please don't say my horse would enjoy to be grazing on grass than rather have a hot yummy mash in the middle of winter because grass us not a option

Here is one my horse likes to have....

*Based on 1000LB Horse*
    1 cup of barley
    1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
    1 TBSP of ground cinnamon
    4 cups of boiling water

Boil barley in water for 10 minutes. Mix in applesauce and cinnamon after barley is finished soaking. Let cool for about 7 minutes until moderately warm.

I make both of their meals into mashes by adding hot water to their pellets and adding in a little beat pulp to hold water and give texture. Their evening meal has flax seed from the crockpot too, I never add bran. I sometimes add in cut up apples or carrots...but they love their meals as they are.

Not a recipe but someone sent me one of the 22oz pouches of this for Christmas and I made it for my horse today and he fairly gobbled it up like it was the most awesome thing.

I think it's pretty awesome because you just pour the water into the bag, let it sit, then squish it around a bit, dump in a bucket and you're done. For someone who's never made a bran mash before, it makes it pretty idiot-proof.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/bran-m...ist-3675p.aspx
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Donkey Indy LOVES her soaked hay pellets (soupy) with applesauce, salt and (she doesn't know this) sometimes a shot of mineral oil. Sometimes she gets bran in stead of the hay pellets, with applesauce (really yummy). It really saved her this fall/winter so now she gets it four times a day! (She can't have hay)

I've never given Horsie a hot mash until this year... A friend gave us one for Xmas and my horse about did somersaults afterwards, looking for more, lol... So now he gets one 1x/week.

Nothing special-- half a bag of Bob's Red Mill wheat bran, handful of sweet feed, and cut-up goodies depending on what I have on-hand, plus a thermos of hot water. Today the add-ons were an apple and 2 carrots... His favorite is a few unwrapped starburst mints
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    Not a recipe but someone sent me one of the 22oz pouches of this for Christmas and I made it for my horse today and he fairly gobbled it up like it was the most awesome thing.

I think it's pretty awesome because you just pour the water into the bag, let it sit, then squish it around a bit, dump in a bucket and you're done. For someone who's never made a bran mash before, it makes it pretty idiot-proof.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/bran-m...ist-3675p.aspx
    Oh yes, my horse used to love those! They have a few different ones. I used the peppermint one often.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/bran-mash-261pc

I used to feed eleven horses bran mashes once a week. Boiled crimped oats, equal measures of bran and sweet feed, three pounds of cut up carrots, three pounds of cut up apples, half a jar of dark molasses..... my vet told me that he'd like to come back as one of my horses when he dies. I fed at least once a week and any time we had extreme weather changes. Served up a little on the wet side. Listening to the horses slurping it up was heaven.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

When we have really cold days (for here anyway) or on days were temps drop/rise drastically I'll do a small mash. Usually 1.5-2 cups wheat bran and 3/4 of a cup alfalfa pellets. I boil water in an instant kettle and pour over the top until it's soupy. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and it comes out perfect. I occasionally add a bit of cold water if it's still way hot. Every so often I'll break up a nicker doodle treat into the mash as well... Or add soft peppermints. Beastie loves his mashes!

In the winter, I give my mare beet pulp almost everyday. I make my own "mash mix" to add to the beet pulp. I mix some oatmeal,flax, corn meal, bran buds cereal. I add a couple of handfuls to her beet pulp, add hot water (from the tap in the barn), and then either some molasses or a couple of peppermints. She slurps it up and looks for more.

Both of the horses I have at home get beet pulp so all winter I boil water in the tea kettle and make hot beet pulp in the AM and PM. I let it expand and cool own a bit, then mix their regular grain in with it. I like it in particular for my old guy because it softens up his grain and makes it easier for his 30 y.o. teeth to munch on. In the PM my 2 year old gets his packet of platinum performance equine mixed in with his beet pulp/grain mash and the old man gets a scoop of probiotic powder along with about 3/4 cup of ground flax seed in his.

I fed hot, soupy beet pulp with their regular grain this week in the very cold temperatures. I don't think they actually need additional "ingredients" as much as something warm and soupy. Luckily mine love beet pulp so that's easy. I add about 1TB of salt as well just to make sure they are drinking water all day/night as well.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I uee an old crockpot (COTH hint) and just set up 1/2 the evening ration of whole oats (for my 2 horses) with enough water to make it soupy, then let it go on Low all day.
    When I feed I add cold water to cool it down, molasses and cutup apples or carrots.
    Love hearing my boys shlurp it up : 9
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009