The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Temp Jobs?

Have any of you had any experience filling as a temp employee in an office setting?

I graduated with my BBA in HRM this past May from a well known business university. I have strong internship experience (both within the USA and abroad), management experience, etc. However, it has been SO difficult to land that full time position. I have interviewed quite a bit, been a finalist at a few large corporations for positions that ended up being filled internally.

My current part-time job hours are reducing and student loans are kicking in soon. I am feeling even more pressure to find that full time job.

A recruiter reached out to me and offered a temp position at a well known, international company. I would be at the corporate office, gaining very valuable experience that I need to land a job in the future (after all, everyone wants experience..) She basically explained that the former employee quit and I would be a temp until the company recruits the long term person for the job themselves. There is potential that they could just keep me if I work out well, but absolutely no guarantee.

Interview with company is Friday, they would want me to start Tuesady, and I don't know how I feel about this being a temp position! I could decline and wait weeks or months to find another offer while working fewer hours part-time, or take this full time temp job and hope it leads to more (or be out a job completely when it is filled!)

Advice?

I took a 6mo temp job and I am still here after 5yrs

You could always keep this job and continue to try to look around?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Definitely take the temp position!!!! The experience alone is worth it, plus, when added to your resume, it'll show that you weren't just sitting on your hands waiting for the job of your dreams. You were actually DOING something.

I LOVE temp jobs. The few times I was between jobs, temp spots were terrific. I was treated well, money was okay, & I literally was offered a permanent spot at every single temp job I worked at. Can't beat that - especially with the job situation the way it is now.

I temp'ed after I graduated from college - was having a hard time finding the right job and relocated, so signed up with a temp agency - who actually tried to hire me as their own employee! Got a temp-to-perm position and stayed until I found my first "real" job. It was a great position for me - fixed hours, good pay, close to home, etc. and if I didn't like it - I didn't have to stay!

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    I took a 6mo temp job and I am still here after 5yrs

You could always keep this job and continue to try to look around?

The part of this temp job that makes me nervous, is it isn't a set amount of time. Because the former employee quit, they need someone immediately until the company recruits someone they want for the job for the long term. It could be 3 weeks, it could be 5 months.. I have absolutely no idea how long it will take them to recruit this long term person. Yeah, the recruiter did say they often see these types of opportunities turn into permanent full time where they would just keep me instead of finding someone else, but it just isn't a guarantee and I need to make my decision during the interview Friday because the start date would be next week.

Once I give my 2 weeks at my part time job, I can't go back to it. They are hiring someone to replace me. (I would give the 2 week notice and work at the temp job on my days off until I can do full-time after the 2 week notice period to my current job).

My biggest fear is accepting and being out a job completely after a relatively short period of time. But, as hours reduce at the part time job even more in the near future, it's hard to justify staying. There's a catch with either option.

If only I could look into the future...

It is a hard call on that one because once your time is up you are left hanging.

hmmmmm ..... is the pay worth it? If it is a fit most places would rather just hire the temp because they already have taught you the job and would have to retrain someone else.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Unless you have other options, take the temp position.

Some things to consider with temp positions:
    1 - You are working for the temp agency, not the individual client companies.
    2 - Much cleaner on your resume and shows prospective employers your willingness to work
    3 - Do a good job for the temp agency and they will keep you busy. Even sending you to another, often better opportunity, immediately after the current position is completed
    4 - You get loads of experience and education about various companies and industries. Consider that you are interviewing each individual company - do they fit what you want in an employer, are the employees people you want to be around, the location, etc?

My last temp job ended at 6 months when the company hired me full time. I am still employed there 13 years, 11 months later.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Yes, it's true OP - you don't have any control over how long the temp job will last. But it's also true that even if the company decides to hire someone else for the position you're working at, they may very well have or even create another spot for you if they like your work.

And you're not considering the fact that if/when the first temp job ends, that the temp agency may very well have yet another assignment for you. That's what's kind of fun about temp work - different jobs at different companies. Variety.

Also - there is no guarantee of longevity with a "permanent" position these days!

Been working "temp" (or contract) jobs off and on for several years. One good thing about them is that, regardless of whether the hiring company keeps the length open-ended, you are not bound to them if you find something permanent. Also, as was said, if you do well for your agency, they make job searching MUCH easier. And for older people, like me, it makes the transition into retirement smoother. Down side, you will have to buy your own health insurance for inferior coverage (however, if you're on Medicare, no problem!). Most agencie offer some kind of group policy where you pay the premium.

Try to get on with a higher-end agency--those that place technical people with computer skills. Advanced MS Excel is especially valuable. If you end up with the office staffing agencies, you will be paid less and do more menial work.

I've had good luck being found by agencies by posting my resume on Monster, but make sure you update it often, or it gets "aged" and drops to the bottom of the searches.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    Down side, you will have to buy your own health insurance for inferior coverage (however, if you're on Medicare, no problem!). Most agencie offer some kind of group policy where you pay the premium.
    Fortunately, this is not a problem. I can use the health insurance coverage from my parents plan until I am 26 years old if necessary. That gives me a little wiggle room to find that full time permanent job with full benefits.

My monthly bills and the 30k in student loans that are soon to hit are what worry me.

Go for the temp job; once you have your foot in the door and they see what a good job you do, you have a better chance of landing the permanent position. Make sure they know you are interested (if you are) and sel yourself!

Where I work, I did two temp jobs for them and then landed a full time gig in another department and have been here for 2-1/2 years not counting the temp jobs.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Absolutely take the temp job! I took one right out of college, just to make some money, while looking for another job. They made me permenant, and I was making okay money. I ended up working there for a year, then quitting when I started hating the mindless work. They are an EXCELLENT reference for me though. I worked VERY hard for them, never called in sick, was always on time and got along well with everyone in the office. I let my boss know that I was starting to interview for different jobs, and she was happy for me. I had her blessing, and she did end up giving me an awesome reference for the job I have now.

Temp jobs are also great because you work for the temp agency. You can tell the temp agency what kind of jobs you would like, the pay you'd work for, etc. They will then set you up with different jobs. If you dont like it, you just tell the agency, and they will handle it. No need to give two weeks notice, generally.

For my temp position, it was great because it was 1. full time. 2. decent pay and 3. Had the opportunity to be perm, if they liked me. I figured making appr $2000/month there was better than making nothing, or part time money! Granted, when it was temp, it was more like $1400 a month, but still--thats quite a bit more than I would have made part time.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Is it appropriate to ask if they are even willing to consider the temp hire to eventually become the permanent hire - knowing that the temp position is in place to allow the company time to recruit the full time person on their own - during the interview?

That will effect my decision somewhat, if they are absolutely not willing to even consider the temp. (Just don't want to come off the wrong way to them by asking!)

If you have federal loans, you can get a hardship forbearance to get you through a rough patch. It's pretty easy to do, although you are still accruing interest during that time.

If it were me, I'd take the temp job. Sometimes you just have to get your foot in the door to even have a shot at a permanent FT position, esp in the current job market. ALL of the non-barn jobs I've had have come through a temp agency, and several of them started as temp positions. I'd view this as a great opportunity; it may not work out, true, but nothing risked, nothing gained.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Senszuri View Post
    Is it appropriate to ask if they are even willing to consider the temp hire to eventually become the permanent hire - knowing that the temp position is in place to allow the company time to recruit the full time person on their own - during the interview?
    Absolutely!!! It's relevant information, and it also shows them that you are serious about the work. And that is a good question to ask up front because it may frame how they handle the details with the temp company. Remember, you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you...
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Personally, I wouldn't ask. I never did, yet still got offered a permanent job at every temp post. Definitely sounds pushy to me. And think of it from their end - if they say "no", they may wonder what kind of performance they'll get from you. If you do a good job, they'll notice.

I had one. Granted my situation was a little different, I needed a job near my parent's house, because I was getting ready to leave for the USAF, but I wanted a job that knew I was going to leave in 6 months, and didn't feel right about trying to find a permanent job that I would abandon shortly thereafter.

I ended up working in the headquarters of a National Grocery store, and for an amazing boss & team (which was a far cry from my last job where everyone wanted to quit but most couldn't afford to), and by the end, they were trying to buy me out of joining the AF and to keep working for them.

I worked with a temp agency who was always supportive, found me a job (and a great job at it) quickly, and was easy to work with. I would work again with them in a heartbeat and recommend them to everyone in that area.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by Senszuri View Post

That will effect my decision somewhat, if they are absolutely not willing to even consider the temp. (Just don't want to come off the wrong way to them by asking!)
    I would absolutely ask. It will show that you're interested in the position and serious.

Are you working through the temp agency? If so, these are all questions that you can ask your "agent". Mine always has ALL the details from dress code to position details, to whether it can become permanent.

I cannot stress enough what another poster just said. You are interviewing them AS MUCH as they are interviewing you. I recently realized that I do NOT have to mold myself to every single job that is offered to me. If a job sounds like a terrible match for you, you don't have to take it!

I was at an interview a few months ago (through the temp agency). In the interview, I asked questions, which made me realize that the job would be the same darn position as the one I was quitting because I hated it. Why would I want that?! I asked many questions so that I was certain. When the temp agency emailed to tell me the company wanted to offer me the position. I declined. They came back and offered me WAY more money (about $10k more a year than I was making at the time, plus no saturdays!), and I had to decline.
    I realized in that interview that the job wasnt right for me.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Funny you should ask, I'm in one right now that I just started a couple of weeks ago. Overall it was a bit of a risk, but a calculated one that I hope works out to ultimately be beneficial. I say do it - sounds like there isn't much to lose if your part-time hours are dwindling, and I'd guess that the temp job is going to pay more than a part-time one.

When I was working on mine, I asked the recruiter about the possibility of extension to a permanent position (they said it was likely) and I didn't need to bring it up in my interview since they made it pretty clear that they hope for someone long-term. I would have asked, though, since it's relevant and factors into whether or not you take the position. Remember that you're interviewing them to make sure it's a good fit at the same time they're interviewing you.

Like others have said, even if this position doesn't work out, the temp agency is likely to have other options for you. Without health insurance to factor in, much less reason to worry about going without benefits for a while.

The only thing I wish I had done differently was to negotiate my salary more aggressively. I wasn't familiar with the process (you tell recruiter what you want, they submit resume and pay requirements, then you get interviewed and they offer based on that initial requested amount.) I was used to having the interview, then getting a salary offer, negotiating, and accepting (or rejecting.) That might not apply to your situation or they might have a different process, but I was a little thrown off and really should have asked for more. Ah, live and learn.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

In my line of work almost everybody starts out as a temp. It's a way for employers screen people for skills and compatibility. For tax and financial reporting reasons some employers keep the temps around forever instead of hiring permanent staff. I've been a non-employee for the same company for almost six years now. I get benefits through the agency, so the only difference for me really is the signature on the paycheck.