The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Taking my Caucasian Ovcharka's to their first pro grooming appt Mon!

Kind of excited, a little nervous, so felt I'd let it out here Some of you may remember my post about struggling to get them to stand for grooming. I did use a lot of your tips to where they do not like, but tolerate, my roughly 5 min grooming sessions each weekend. But I still haven't made much headway on the matts in the haunches.

So, I had a long conversation with local groomer Deirdre about them - she says she is up to the challenge! Hope it goes well. They are well socialized, always nice to strangers I introduce them too, and both good at the vet. But Beowulf has put out a growl or two when I brush a matted area. Never tried anything but I didn't push it either. Advising her to muzzle just to be safe...

Any other tips I can give her? I did spell out the breed name for her to look up, so she's not without a clue. Anything else I can do to prepare them? They are to be dropped off Monday am, picked up that afternoon.

And yes a photo session at home is scheduled for afterwards! (photographer is a trusted friend who will understand they will need lots of quiet time after so much new stress)
    Last edited by Arcadien; Sep. 5, 2012 at 03:57 PM.

No great suggestions, but I did look up the dog and OMG, they are HUGE, and very handsome. And I can only imagine the grooming challenge.

My only thought is that it is a big step from a 5 minute grooming session at home to a much longer event at the groomers.

Just curious - why did you pick this breed of dog?
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Knowing a little bit about the breed, it would make sense to me to teach them to wear a muzzle and have YOU muzzle them before handing them over. Less stress and less danger.
    Soft muzzles that keep the mouth shut do not allow for panting, and should not be used for a very lengthy time esp. in heat.

Beautiful breed, but not for the faint of heart or will.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

OP: Well.....how did it go? Waiting to hear.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Cant wait to see pictures! Ive only seen that breed once before...and I dont think he was a great example of one! Love to see one spiffed up!

My poor babies were soooo exhausted! Groomer was great, she took time to sit with me & get to know them before I left them with her in separate runs.

She did tell me they made some "noise" when she did their haunches, but not the worst she's had, & gave in when they realized it was not optional.

When I picked them up, I stayed quiet & watched her with them before they saw me - handled by this relative stranger, their tails were wagging & they even let her brush them a little more. That made me feel good! Then they saw me & turned into quivering messes of "Moooommmmmm!!!! Take us hooooommmmme!"

I only took a couple picks last night as a) they were sooo tired, and I would need a friend to help, didn't think they needed the excitement of visitors plus b) she did have to do some respectable scissoring on the back ends - we talked about it and I agreed if it was going to be too painful, just cut it out! I think she did an awesome job of tidying them up though, doesn't look bad, but not as awesome as they will look after it grows in a bit again.

In summary:
    1. Glad I did it. I don't think I'd ever have gotten them this perfectly clean & knot free on my own.
    2. I have to spare them from having to go through that again! Weekly brushing sessions, nice thorough ones, are in our future. She pointed out, make it "work" , grooming isn't fun time or optional with a dog like that, it's a must do regularly. I think having that attitude will help me stay on top of it.
    3. Photo session planned for the weekend - I will provide promised pics then.

Whew! I feel like a proper dog owner again, with clean, groomed healthy dogs! Oh and she said she'd be glad to do them again, which I took as another good sign

Looked them up, their coats look similar style to my old chow mix. The butt mats are the worst! You might want to work on a stand command so you can get at it. Other option is convincing them to lay on their sides, but my dog was not a great fan of that. Since I petted my guy so much I could usually find mats at the early stage (like raisin size) and cut them out. He got used to scissors around his face and I always kept the fingers of my other hand between his skin and the mat. Obviously we didn't care if he looked like a weed-whacker got to him
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue