The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    My first thought upon seeing him was the line from the movie "Airplane"..."Leoonnnnss getttinngg ROUNNDDEERR!!!"

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I did see the kitten eating some food I had put out this morning. Time to get out the hav-a-hart, I guess, and just let it sit around for a couple of days before I open it up and bait it.

I was at the vet's this morning with Becky, for a blood check. She's hyperthyroid and -- finally -- stabilized. So, I asked her if she could take this kitten. Nope, she's already got three kittens that she has to find homes for. So, if I can catch this one, it's mine, I guess.

Sigh, I know I'll love the little thing, but, man, I didn't really need another cat, and I usually get senior if I do get another. Good think I didn't get the new drapes I was thinking about. I'll wait until the drape climbing stage is over, I think.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I'll even enable the new drapes: All you have to do is put them up/over themselves so kitten can't reach them to climb! Just finished this with my new boy (now 9 months old).
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Oh.My.God! That kitten is simply adorable! What's one more kitty? S/he'll just sorta get lost in the herd...

I hope to hear that the little sweetheart is soon purring on your lap, and see more pictures!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I have 17. house cats.

You certainly need a kitten! THIS kitten!

And I thought I was bad when I had TEN housecats!!!

OMG it's a badger faced kitten. Send her to FL I'll take her ! She/he has the exact opposite facial markings as the one who turned up at the barn I bored at a few weeks back.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Damn, she's cute! And Louise, this is COTH. You *know* the answer you're gonna get here.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Original Poster

I know, I know! She came back this evening to eat again. I have the shed door open a crack, and a nice, warm old fleece lined blanket on the floor for her to cuddle in, if she goes in. The nice thing about her being a kitten is that she can fit through the crack in the door, but the bigger critters can't, so she'll be safe. I hope she does.

I'll feed her for a couple more days, with the trap just sitting nearby. Then, I'll gradually move the food closer to the trap, and, finally, inside, with the trap tied open. Hopefully, the time will come when she will go confidently inside, and the trap will spring shut behind her.

I'm just praying that she's a stray and not a feral, because I don't know if she is young enough to tame.

Funny we're all referring to her as she. She just looks like a girl, doesn't she?

Hey, Louise, I've got a Have a Heart trap if you need to borrow it... just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I know, I know! She came back this evening to eat again. I have the shed door open a crack, and a nice, warm old fleece lined blanket on the floor for her to cuddle in, if she goes in. The nice thing about her being a kitten is that she can fit through the crack in the door, but the bigger critters can't, so she'll be safe. I hope she does.

I'll feed her for a couple more days, with the trap just sitting nearby. Then, I'll gradually move the food closer to the trap, and, finally, inside, with the trap tied open. Hopefully, the time will come when she will go confidently inside, and the trap will spring shut behind her.

I'm just praying that she's a stray and not a feral, because I don't know if she is young enough to tame.

Funny we're all referring to her as she. She just looks like a girl, doesn't she?
    Best of luck catching the little fuzzball, he/she is adorable.

I think you've seen positive signs as to if he/she can be tamed. He/She's already associating you with tasty num nums, so that's the first bridge crossed
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Cool OMG ~ She / He is Precious ~ Bring it in !

Precious ~ yes trap and bring this 'adorable treasure' inside !

Ferals are not too tough to domesticate really ~ just a bit MORE time and patience ~

no need to ask me how I know ~

almost all my (many) cats are = "derals" domesticated ferals ~

let's see I have "Turtle" and "BEETLE" and of course "Smarty Jones " others ?? well I will stop there BUT but I do have many all 'fixed' vaccinated and I have not regretted my actions once

LOVE them all ! and to think I am a 'dog' person
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    My first thought upon seeing him was the line from the movie "Airplane"..."Leoonnnnss getttinngg ROUNNDDEERR!!!"
    My first thought was Leon the Professional, the hitman played by Jean Reno who takes in Natalie Portman. Your kitten could be the next Mathilda.

StG

Original Poster

A little bit of a set-back this morning. I went out to feed the birds, and put some food out for the kitten. I went to get the hose, to put fresh water in the birdbath, and accidentally flushed the kitten, who was hiding in the hostas next to the hose. Scared the bejaysus out of the poor little thing, and startled me enough so that I let out a squeak. I put the food out, and I see that it has been eaten, so at least I didn't scare the poor little thing away completely.

I talked to the woman who runs the feral cat organization this morning and, because of what she told me, I'm slowing things down a bit. She wanted me to get the kitten well established in a feeding routine before I bring the trap out and start that acclimating process. So, that's what I'll do.

Sigh, I've never done this before, and I'm just hoping it works. I've become ridiculously attached to the kitten in this short period of time, and I'm hoping beyond hope that I can tame it and bring it inside to live, in spite of the fact I don't need another cat.

Be thinking of a name. Since I don't know the gender, I'm trying to think of a name that can be used by male and female. I like to give my cats people names, also. Maybe Frankie?

I like Frankie. Keep at it! Sounds like it's going to work out fine.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

All respect to the feral cat lady, but I wonder why she wants you to wait? I say grab her & start the process. I had 3 in a german shepard crate in the house...they got used to all noises & sights. I fed all meals with a spoon. The little one - named her Maddie cause she was so mad - she would hiss right until the spoon got to her mouth. Now, she is the first one to jump on the bed at night.

Non gender specific names: Taylor, Pat (from Saturday Night live!), Micky, Frankie, Bobbi, Chris, Lee (could be changed to Leah or Leo)....I really like Matilda mentioned above....

I hope this works out

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    All respect to the feral cat lady, but I wonder why she wants you to wait? I say grab her & start the process. I had 3 in a german shepard crate in the house...they got used to all noises & sights. I fed all meals with a spoon. The little one - named her Maddie cause she was so mad - she would hiss right until the spoon got to her mouth. Now, she is the first one to jump on the bed at night.

Non gender specific names: Taylor, Pat (from Saturday Night live!), Micky, Frankie, Bobbi, Chris, Lee (could be changed to Leah or Leo)....I really like Matilda mentioned above....

I hope this works out
    One of my former trainers did this with two cats they found running loose. They lived in an enclosed pen until they were tame.There was some pretty hilarious hissing and spitting in the interim. Now they follow you around the barn and demand scratches.

We had a similar situation to yours a couple of years ago, with a feral kitten appearing. I tried to get close to her with no success, so we started putting food out. This kitten was probably four months old or so, and very wild, although she would come to the deck for food and eat every day. I decided to get her spayed (she was a dilute torti, so I knew the sex), and got some lessons on trapping 101. I think the reason the feral lady told you to get the kitten used to a feeding routine before you even introduce the trap, is because if you try to trap her before she is somewhat comfortable, and miss, you may never get another chance at it. We got this kitten coming to the same place on our deck for food. I then put out an old, big carrier with bedding in it and fed her in that. Then I put the trap out, covered, not set, and fed in that for about a week. The night before her spay appointment I set the trap and got her easily. The entire process probably took a month. This kitten was very wild and even during her recovery she made it clear that she was feral and preferred it that way. I released her, and kept feeding her. She finally would let my husband touch her when she ate, but she never got friendlier than that. I hope your kitten is more amenable to domestication than mine was, but even if she isn't, you can at least get her fixed, shots, etc., and keep her well fed outside.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Four? Pah. I've found that kittens are a bit like Jello - there's always room for more. I'll enable you! Keep feeding and being nearby -- it'll get used to you eventually. I've got an older male who showed up 2 years ago. He only let me start petting him in June. But now he's a big love bug, and hopefully soon I'll have him to the vet for the big day . . . and then it'll be on to the next stray tom that showed up a few months ago . . . But it can and does happen, so don't give up!

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post

I hope this works out
    I too don't understand her saying to wait. My last two were feral and I got them trapped at four months. They are tame but still have some feral qualities. I feel sure if I would have started the taming process much sooner they would be way more adjusted.
    Obviously your's is older than four months so I would be even more inclined to move ahead. Good luck!
    BTW I have 5 inside and two "former" ferals outside.