The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bloomington MN

Can anyone recommend a good barn near there? My friend moved there recently and is looking for a nice farm preferably with some lesson horses in addition to a good training program. She wants to get back in shape on a schoolie then have her A/A horse shipped up from NC so she can have him closer to her.

TIA!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

You have a lot of options in the Twin Cities area, but all of the ones I know are either north or west a fair bit from Bloomington.

I ride with Elzabeth Lampert at Arbor Hill Farm in Hugo and cannot say enough good things about her. Great facility and she's a wonderful trainer and person. That's probably a good 40 minutes from Bloomington, though.

There's also Tracy Grandstrand/Stonegate Farm in Stillwater. I know she has lesson horses, but Stillwater is going to be a longer haul than Hugo.

Kim and Andy Barone are also great, they're over at Raven Ridge Farm on the west side of Minneapolis. I don't know if they have school horses or not, but they're both fantastic riders and their clients ride well too.

thank you!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Try Ridge Road Stables in Webster, just South of Lakeville. It is an all disclipline barn, but has a great trainer(Alisha O'Dell) for hunter/jumper or dressage. There is not much on the South side of the cities, but I have looked around a lot and this is by far a good value. They take great care of the horses and the facility is nice also. Huge indoor(a necessity in MN), nice stalls, individual attention for your horse, and the boarders are great. We have been a few places and there is no drama here, everyone is friendly and encouraging, regardless of what/how you ride. No, I don't work there, just have a happy healthy gelding living there.

I'd also throw out there North Run Farm in Delano; I've never boarded there but Len & Jackie put on a great schooling show series and I'm almost certain they have lesson horses. I can't say enough about Birchbury Farms up in Ham Lake, I boarded there for years and adore the whole family, but that's probably a haul from Bloomington. And they're more focused on eventing, but the facilities are fantastic. And they allow jumping on your own, outside of lessons, which is hard to find.

I would check out the following as well:

Roundabout Farm in Medina
    Wild Oak Farm in Delano

Both are on the west side of the cities and traffic won't be as bad as crossing over to the East side.