The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Obama 2008 versus Obama 2012

I found this article on facebook. I didn't have time to vet it for facts but it has the ring of truth to it since we have the same problems now we had 4 years ago.

The author makes some really good points. Food for thought...has any other president run on practically the same issues 4 years later? What does that say about his effectiveness?

Anyway read and watch for yourselves and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2012/09/04/...vs-2012-obama/

In a 2009 interview Obama said that if he hadn't solved the countries problems by the next election then he shouldn't be re-elected. In a recent interview when asked to give himself a grade for his first term, he said he'd give himself an incomplete because he hadn't fixed the problems yet.

So follow Obama's advice and not re-elect him.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    In a 2009 interview Obama said that if he hadn't solved the countries problems by the next election then he shouldn't be re-elected. In a recent interview when asked to give himself a grade for his first term, he said he'd give himself an incomplete because he hadn't fixed the problems yet.

I don't watch TV other than the news and try to not watch the news when it is about political infighting and absurd one-upmanship.

I could not miss that story, they jumped it on the viewer and I was thinking exactly the same.

Some politicians are really not very smart.
    Some are getting brain fried from being the lightning rod for every discontent.

What a way to run a railroad!

Glenn Beck... eeeeeekkkk and I am a Rep. He is not the most sane pesrson in the world, or the most up to date news wise...
    I head his show once, and that is all it took. He went on about some beatle who had just died,(this was a whiel ago). And how he could see this kind of this happening if lets say John John had died. Well John John deid a few years prior before, and buried at "sea" (Marthas v.) on the uss brisco. Some guy how has been on the Brisco at the time called to let him know/ correct him. He went off on him for several minuets. I tuned him off and never listen to hin again.
    I dont trust anything from G. Beck.
    Friend of bar .ka

I think it's trickier and more complicated than asking if he got anything done.

It's rather difficult to get things done when a sizable group of people in congress have committed to blocking you at every turn. It's one thing (IMO) if those people believe they really have the best vision, but another when their stated goal is to keep the president from accomplishing anything.

Anyway, as for accomplishments, politifact.com has a pretty good breakdown of his initial campaign promises, what has been met, what has been compromised on, what is in progress, and what hasn't been touched:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...aign-promises/

Glenn Beck... sorry, not going to his site, it usually makes me want to claw my eyeballs out.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

When evaluating this country's progress in the past 3 1/2 years I compare it to where I think it might have been if McLain/Palin had been elected.

Health care reform is a HUGE accomplishment and I doubt that would have happened under McP. I don't think it would face nearly the opposition in Congress if it had been dubbed Expanded Romneycare. I don't trust a GOP lead government to repeal and replace though i would be open to amending it if necessary.

The Dow is about double the level it was when O took office, along with many people's 401K's

We are bringing our forces HOME from a place they never should have beeen.

Unemployment is high....hey congress, how about a jobs bill?

Housing prices are starting to rise.

So yeah, incomplete but I would like to see him finish what he started

Particularly I don't want to see Romney's tax cuts for the rich. So you cut Romney's taxes by $2,000,000. Or you can hire 40 teachers or fire fighters or police officers. Which benefits the country more?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Did you catch the first night of the DNC convention? Whoa, those were some powerful speeches. Did you notice the speakers weren't running for 2016, they were praising Obama? Did you see the reaction of the crowd? Did you see the diversity in the crowd? Black, White, Latino, Asian, Hindu, Muslim, Women, Veterans? He's back!

Glenn Beck was too crazy for Fox. I don't think anything else needs to be said.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Despite Glenn Becks reputation, can you really dispute what the article says? If he were a CEO of a large company, should the stockholders renew his contract? I personally think not.

The answer to the question comes from Simon and Garfunkel:

Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon
    Going to the candidates debate
    Laugh about it, shout about it
    When you've got to choose
    Ev'ry way you look at it, you lose

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Despite Glenn Becks reputation, can you really dispute what the article says? If he were a CEO of a large company, should the stockholders renew his contract? I personally think not.
    Having worked for a Fortune 500 company I know the stockholders don't have much to say about running the company, it's all up to the BOD.

And I also know that the management make decisions on a quarterly basis. If the quarter is good, fine, no thought about the next quarter. The only criteria is the bottom line, not a better product. It also became a matter of prestige....which BOD pays its CEO the most money.

I hope the voters can see PROGRESS
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Having worked for a Fortune 500 company I know the stockholders don't have much to say about running the company, it's all up to the BOD.

And I also know that the management make decisions on a quarterly basis. If the quarter is good, fine, no thought about the next quarter. The only criteria is the bottom line, not a better product. It also became a matter of prestige....which BOD pays its CEO the most money.

I hope the voters can see PROGRESS
    I worked at a Fortune 500 company, too. Your assertions are a mishmash of half truth and innuendo.

Does one shareholder have much influence? No. Does the CALPERS have much influence? Yes. For extra credit, why?

Under the law of every U.S. state I'm aware of the board of directors of a corporation is charged by law with the management of the company and has a legal duty to act in accordance with the best interests of the company. Note, again, that this is the law, not a statement of social policy.

My company did not run quarter to quarter; it didn't even run year to year. Our CEO seemed to have a broader vision. We were a service company (the world's largest insurance brokerage firm) and if our service fell below that of our competitors we lost money. Sadly, in at least a couple of incidents, senior company officials got wrapped up that "quarter to quarter" thinking and it cost the company a BIG fine when they got caught. Us shareholders took it in the shorts on that one. The board got "reamed for their lack of oversight. They are doing much better, now.

Companies are no better than the humans that run them. The humans have duty to put the company intersts first, then all other interests in any legal way that pleases them (as they are the management). If, as a stockholder, I don't like it then I get to vote at the next meeting to throw the bums out. Corporate democracy, don't you know.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    I worked at a Fortune 500 company, too. Your assertions are a mishmash of half truth and innuendo.
    <SNIP>
    Perhaps the industries were different. I worked with financial software
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

However, a country is not a company. A company's first duty to to make its stockholders a profit. A country's first duty is to its people, the voters.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    However, a country is not a company. A company's first duty to to make its stockholders a profit. A country's first duty is to its people, the voters.
    The devil is in the details.

Who wants a manager of resources, with minimal, basic services and regulations, so citizens can be free to live best they can manage, on their own?

Who wants someone to tell everyone what they can do or not, according to someone's ideas of what society should look like, in the name of looking after the citizens?

Too bad we can't get someone that can do both and do so sensibly, as they seem to be antagonistic to each other.

What is clear is that "you can't please all the people all of the time", when talking politics, needs to be changed to "you can't please hardly anyone".

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post

THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    The answer to the question comes from Simon and Garfunkel:

Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon
    Going to the candidates debate
    Laugh about it, shout about it
    When you've got to choose
    Ev'ry way you look at it, you lose

G.
    Truer words were never written.

DB, saw that clip on another site earlier today. Thought it was well done.
    Used to watch Glenn Beck when I turned off Oprah. His Founding Fathers'
    Friday shows were great and got me doing a lot of reading. Some of his shows showing how various foundations and radical groups had connections were pretty eye-opening.

The news media pretty well cut out a lot of the speeches at the RNC when
    the speakers were black or hispanic. Even Fox got too busy commentating
    and finally watched the last night on C-Span. Off the top of my head,
    two hispanic governors spoke, one male, one female, a black mayor from
    Utah running for Congress, a former black Congressman who seconded Obama's nomination at the 2008 DNC convention now turned Republican, a black female former Secretary of State who was preceded by a black Secretary of State, an Indian-descent female governor (the male Indian-descent governor was busy with a hurricane in his state) and a hispanic
    US Senator gave the address before Romney's speech.

Oh, and I don't know how much it made mainstream media but Romney
    flew to New Orleans the day after the convention and met with the governor to view the flooding and devestation south of NO. Obama hadn't had any plans to do so before then and announced a visit for Monday.

Glen Beck is also a Mormon, so he can't be seen as an unbiased observer.

I don't feel the hand of the Federal government much at all. I do, however, feel it heavier the lower down the chain of officials I go. I think if we want to get rid of government, it ought to be from the bottom up. Them county pukes think they can tell me what kind of chicken house I can build.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    Glen Beck is also a Mormon, so he can't be seen as an unbiased observer.
    Does that mean that Protestants can't comment on Obama and Catholics can't comment on Biden and Ryan?

G.