The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dead mouse in car A/C vents

Ok, hope I get this in in time to get a couple of answers.
    About 2 weeks ago, I noticed mouse trails in the car. Not unusual - happened before. I live out in the boonies. This time decided to take a stance - set a trap on the passenger's front floor, and caught him first night.

Last week, coincidentally the morning I'm taking it in for A/C service, I smell dead critter. Believe now that "he" was a "she", and she had a nest she left behind. After the A/C work, I found it is worse when you put on the A/C. Went through the parts of the car I could reach without professional help over the weekend, and cannot locate any cold critters.

Have done my due diligence today, and called 3 different places - 2 mechanics and 1 body shop. All say it may be very involved, removing the dash possible, etc.

I know the smell will subside in time, but I'm worried about having dead mouse in the air system. I am a one car gal - this one is paid for - don't want another (horse board first!) and it fits me perfectly. Wondering about whether or not it is not healthy to leave them in there. And/or if anyone else has had to address this, and how you resolved it. (Or didn't!)

Thanks!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I did. Left the windows open and used one of those smell sucker upper thingies you can get in the auto department. It went away, and I'm still alive.
    Quarry Rat

Here, everyone is a bit worried when it comes to mice and proactive.
    This year the summer Hanta virus outbreak has been larger than normal, more people sick in hospitals from it, so mice are not welcome guests anywhere more than ever.

Our 1990 pickup went thru that one winter and it took several years to get the smell completely out.

Best I remember, we cleaned several times everything we could reach with Pine Sol and left the pickup out in the sun, windows open, for weeks on end.

Go ask your dealership, they have today some very potent little spray cans that are smell neutralizers.
    They even come in different flavors.

That is what they use to clean used cars before they put them for sale.

I wonder if you couldn't run Lysol or the like through the system...
    Quarry Rat

I had that happen in my 05 Vibe. The smell did not go away. Finally when a friend drove it and complained, I had my handy mechanical type neighbor look at it and he did something at the glove compartment and took a filter out and there was a dead mouse. I had to order a new filter from GMC to replace the other and now life is good.

You should call in to the show "Cartalk" on NPR. This is the sort of thing they love to laugh about, er, I mean, help out with. In fact, you might search through their site, there have been quite a few calls in the past dealing with the same or similar topics. I searched the term "dead mouse" and came up with a number of hits, though I haven't read through any of them. Maybe you can find an answer:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/searc...ouse&sa=Search
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

I think 49'er's suggestion is good. Have them pull the AC filters, and I bet you'll find the mouse.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

CVPeg is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I'd already checked behind the glove compartment, as I had previously found mice in the filter in my Toyota Highlander easy enough to get into. Not so here, it's permanently installed in this Ford.

Was in the car a lot today with the dog to the vet's, and finally having to leave her in it with the A/C running (and her Elizabethan collar on) while I flew into the store to get her smelly food to hide pills in. The A/C actually didn't seem that bad, so I think the odors are dissipating. But like Bluey said, yes, after hearing about the Hanta virus, that's why I'm starting to wonder if I need to be concerned.

But it just hit me that I remember seeing a "how to" last year about how to cut into & remove the Ford's filter, and replace it, patching back the hole you just created. Think I'll try calling my buddy the body shop guy. If I can just keep this to under $300, I'd like to try. But removing the dash and replacing it, considering all the bells and whistles tied to it, think it might be very complicated and expensive.

Been quite the month, er make that 2 months!

Oh, and yeah, I'd love to call Klick and Klack. But aren't they going off the air, and only running reruns now? Love their show.

Yes, CLick and Clack retired and are rerunning shows. I'll miss those crazy guys.

Their online archive is still available though.

Dead mouse in the car is the WORST!

Mine was in the cabin air filter. Total cost: I don't know, how much does a cabin air filter cost anyway? They put some special deoderizer in it too to kill the lingering smell. Even the guuy who removed the mouse was a bit grossed out. It was such a great thing to get rid of!!!!
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Yes. But it was a rat. Left the car outside in the summer sun with the windows open. Was better after a week, and finally went away altogether.

I didn't have mice inside but did have some type of rodent (mice? rat? squirrel?) chew wiring in my truck that lives under the hay shed. Never any rodent smell involved but after he fixed the wiring my local mechanic tied several dryer sheets around in the engine compartment. He said the smell was a deterrent to rodents getting in the engine. May be an old wives' tale but so far no additional critter damage. You could try that to help avoid future "boarders" and it might help with your smell, too. (I mean the mice smell!)
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    I didn't have mice inside but did have some type of rodent (mice? rat? squirrel?) chew wiring in my truck that lives under the hay shed. Never any rodent smell involved but after he fixed the wiring my local mechanic tied several dryer sheets around in the engine compartment. He said the smell was a deterrent to rodents getting in the engine. May be an old wives' tale but so far no additional critter damage. You could try that to help avoid future "boarders" and it might help with your smell, too. (I mean the mice smell!)
    Oh, great idea - because I do have repeat offenders (or at least their relatives...)

My sister and I walked by our dad's dead truck in the back driveway. Dead mouse on arm rest in center. Stop. Back-up. Take 2nd look. Exchange look, raise eyebrows, keep walking. Mention to dad later that there is a dead mouse in the truck and it's somewhat horrifying that something in that truck must've killed it.

From an incident at work years ago, I think the stench will be gone in about two weeks from the first wave of disgusting aroma.

Our water fountain kept making this thumping noise, and then the stench started. It was one of the big wall hung ones. Then I thought it was the drain backing up or filling with gunk so we kept putting disinfectant down it, and nothing helped. The smell stopped after a couple of weeks, and the thumping noise did too. When the plumber came to fix it, it was found to have a dead, shriveled mouse on the fan frame. Apparently the fan hit and killed it, and the stench was it drying out inside the machine.

Gee. my friends ( well my DH's friends) got a little tipsy one night and the wife tossed her cookies down the dash and vents. Every time they turned on the heater it reeked so they sold it as soon as summer came around. Nice to know it's cleanable!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I need either much more box wine or lay off it...I read 'dead moose in the car vent'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I need either much more box wine or lay off it...I read 'dead moose in the car vent'
    No, I'm not that far north!

Hopefully the problem has been solved by now, but for future reference, consider "vent visors". They allow the window to be left down about an inch or so open and will reduce odor buildup. They also keep the car from getting so hot when parked during the Summer.

They're custom made for each make/model, are easy to apply, inexpensive, and available at most auto parts stores.

One of the best Klick and Klack how-the-heck-did-that-happen odor stories was about the dog that barfed into the A/C vent.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams