The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    This thread so reminds of a PBS Beg-a-Thon.
    Where else can you have so much fun and not have to pay for it?
    We are grateful for those that maintain this site and rightly so, I think.

And one more time, thank you! Nice to work and check in and work and check in! Thank for you letting this continue!

Thanks from me too! I adore Off Topic Days. So does one of my boarders -- if one starts and we think the other doesn't know we text each other: Off Topic has started!

While I enjoy most OT days, I'm saddened by how divisive some of the political threads get. I've seen mention that a 2nd Civil War would be a great thing no less than three times - maybe not in those words, but there's only been one time the country was split, and it didn't go so well.
    I've stopped reading the political threads, but they are all over the front page - as expected pre-election.

I ask you, fellow Merkins and CotHers, won't someone lock a chicken in the oven and unite us all once more??
    You are what you dare.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    While I enjoy most OT days, I'm saddened by how divisive some of the political threads get. I've seen mention that a 2nd Civil War would be a great thing no less than three times - maybe not in those words, but there's only been one time the country was split, and it didn't go so well.
    I've stopped reading the political threads, but they are all over the front page - as expected pre-election.

I ask you, fellow Merkins and CotHers, won't someone lock a chicken in the oven and unite us all once more??

The only TV I watch is the news.
    The last few weeks and hopefully not after the election also, all you hear is about this or that candidate and fighting over it.

Right now, I am not even watching the news any more, can't stomach all that going on.
    So much seems to have risen to the level of nonsense.

We can do the same here, don't go there and so you won't have to read about it.

Mods are masochists...almost week long Off Meds forum during an election year???

It's kinda like watching Jackass.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Mods are masochists...almost week long Off Meds forum during an election year???

It's kinda like watching Jackass.
    I picture them sitting back, eating some popcorn, toasting the box wine and making choo-choo noises.
    You are what you dare.

I keep sneaking over here to see if it's been shut down yet and getting sucked in by yet another interesting thread.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Default Thanks Mods!

Thanks Mods!

Add me to the list of people who would love to see this as a permanent addition.

I vote no as a permanent addition. Absolutely no support for that idea, no way, no how. I think it would attract the non horsey and just be a mess to moderate. I come to COTH for the horsiness. The OT stuff is entertaining in small doses, but day after day of it is already getting old (why is it still open, really?).

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I vote no as a permanent addition. Absolutely no support for that idea, no way, no how. I think it would attract the non horsey and just be a mess to moderate. I come to COTH for the horsiness. The OT stuff is entertaining in small doses, but day after day of it is already getting old (why is it still open, really?).
    I don't know, you may make a case either way, if to make OT permanent or not.

I think that either way COTH would just keep on adjusting, just as it has to social media taking people's time away from COTH for other.

If this came to a vote, I would not know how to vote.
    I would have to leave that decision to those that feel strongly about this.
    Whatever way the majority would vote is ok.
    You know, it will be ok either way, I think.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Vote for Always OT!

Did I just politicize this thread?

horsepoor:
    my chicken BB - the dreaded BYC - has several permanent OT forums under the category Social.
    They do not seem to draw any non-chicken posters or disrupt the otherwise poultry-centric BB.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Did I just politicize this thread?

horsepoor:
    my chicken BB - the dreaded BYC - has several permanent OT forums under the category Social.
    They do not seem to draw any non-chicken posters or disrupt the otherwise poultry-centric BB.

Thinking on your words, I don't know of any general or special interest forums that don't have some all purpose places for "other" than the stated interests, COTH is the only one.

Maybe I don't know enough forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Thinking on your words, I don't know of any general or special interest forums that don't have some all purpose places for "other" than the stated interests, COTH is the only one.

Maybe I don't know enough forums?
    The only other ones I've spent much time on are stepmother or dog related, they all have a "general purpose" section. It was surprising how good people were are at compartmentalizing...they'd have tooth and nail political fight in one forum and then give each other caring support in another. Interesting. But, it's like that in real life too...my neighbor's political ideas make me want to pull my hair out and he and my husband really go at it on Facebook (where I don't go), but in day to day life we're good friends and have each other's backs.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    The only other ones I've spent much time on are stepmother or dog related, they all have a "general purpose" section. It was surprising how good people were are at compartmentalizing...they'd have tooth and nail political fight in one forum and then give each other caring support in another. Interesting. But, it's like that in real life too...my neighbor's political ideas make me want to pull my hair out and he and my husband really go at it on Facebook (where I don't go), but in day to day life we're good friends and have each other's backs.

You are right there.
    My best friend is absolutely, completely besotted with Obama, to the point that you have to watch to even sound like you are going to say anything about him, even if good.
    She then becomes hyper alert and ready to defend him, even from the most innocuous comments, that were not meant in any way about him or politics.
    Mama bear at it's best and scariest.

As long as you don't go there, she is absolutely the most wonderful, caring person around.
    I will be glad when Obama's time is over, soon or in 4 more years, if nothing else to get our friend sane again.

Then, there is provocation around here for her obsession.
    Most everyone in this area votes republican.
    I do know some that are scarily angry against Obama, racist is not enough to say how scary.
    I think he polarized an already very divided political field, bringing out the extremes at both ends.

Back to COTH forums, maybe this is reflected in any forums and making the rest of us more uncomfortable than when this intransigence with other's ideas is not playing out quite so fiercely as it seems right now?

I am still thinking about the chicken forum.
    Didn't know there was enough to talk about chickens to have a forum for chickens alone.

I've been "sneaking"... looking for another OT day!
    Thank you MODS

You guys rock!! Hope everyone is enjoying a great Sunday... Cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate in hand... reading/posting on the forum
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!