The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Making the most of limited riding time

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what do you working people with long commutes do to make it count when you get the chance to ride? I have an hour commute to the barn, and can theoretically make it out 4-5 days a week, but pesky life obligations,weather, traffic and sheer exhaustion are always getting in the way. I am an experienced rider and the basics are always there, I just feel that it's so hard to maintain fitness and accuracy when I ride one horse 2-3x a week. Any suggestions? Magic solutions? I only take lessons occasionally, which is sufficient for me. Lately I have just been riding without stirrups every ride, which I'm sure helps, but there have to be other methods that keep it fun and beneficial to me as a rider.

I would be focused on the fitness of the horse. Do lots of hacking around the property and surrounding area. If you have some varied terrain put him together and make him tackle it correctly using himself. Do trot sets in two point or without stirrups. Do transitions paying close attention to quality and holding your position. I also like raised trot poles and small jumps, you could do those without stirrups too.