The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pedigree critique on my tb mare?

Could you all critique my mare's pedigree and tell me what it says about her potential as a sport horse? I got her off the track and so far I am really having fun with her. I'd love to learn more about her pedigree.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...year=&breeder=

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

It's very, very nice from top to bottom and in between. She has the possibility of inheriting a genetic package that would let you do almost anything in the jumping line with her. There are some lovely lines, and tail male to Raja Baba and Northern Raja is rare, special, and very, very promising. Having Hail The Pirates on top is also very nice. Purple Passion was a good racer but a stinking race sire. He is regional Maryland breeding for several generation. If you search, there is a whole thread on Northern Raja on this forum.

On the bottom, Risen Star has a luscious pedigree for sport, since his tail female line is to Mumtaz Mahal/Mumtaz Begum, his damsire is His Majesty, and his sire was Secretariat. Risen Star was a G-1 Winner, 3yo Champion of his year, and a Preakness and Belmont winner. Ample is also bred to the purple (in both sport and racing) since she's Lyphard out of Dahlia, daughter of Vaguely Noble and probably his best US foal. Lyphard has many in sport and chasing, and Dahlia was one of the greatest race mares of our times. She was a slow maturing mare, who had stamina, ran on turf and dirt, won the biggest races against males, and was a pretty darned good broodmare after she got around to it. She had 46 starts and won from 2 to 6. Beau Fabuleaux gets you Wild Risk and there is no better line in sport; and he also gets you Misty Flight and Desert Vision, both of whom are among the best. Misty Flight's dam was Grey Flight, one of the great TB broodmares of all time.

I think you have a real winner here, at least for sport and sport horse breeding, at least on paper. If she is a good mover and jumper, she's just living up to her pedigree. Slow is another matter entirely. There really haven't been decent racehorses from this tail female line since Desert Flight, although both Beau Fabuleaux and Ample each produced one very tough campaigner. It's a dying or dead branch on the speed tree.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thank you so much for such an in-depth and informative critique! I don't know much about tb bloodlines. I am so pleased to hear that her pedigree shows promise i have just started her over fences and she is doing very very well. It seems to come naturally to her. I'll get a pic up of her later when I have my laptop.