The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helmet fashion- what's that new helmet on dressage riders in Europe?

I've seen a helmet on photos of dressage riders 3x within the past week or so, and it's not one I recognize. There was a photo in the chronicle of Jennifer Hoffman at the FEI young horse championships in Verden, Germany. Then Jutta somebody in the chronicle article about the August Saugerties show. And today, not the same design on the side but it looks like it might be the same manufacturer, Lone Jorgensen on eurodressage.

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...move-australia

Anyone know what brand this is? I'm not too fond of this look so far but maybe it will grow on me. GPA & Charles Owen did!

yep -CASCO.
    I was trying them on in Germany last week at the Bundeschampionate!
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2013 Reserve Champion Westfalen Pony Stallion Licensing

Is this the helmet company that's sponsoring Isabell Werth (incl providing the gold helmet?)

I believe Isabell is sponsored by Uvex.

Casco does make a gold one as well. But Isabel wears Uvex
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2013 Reserve Champion Westfalen Pony Stallion Licensing

Had to go look at the Casco helmets. The Nori designs for kids are precious!

Love the Cascos. I'm debating between the navy and gold Casco and the navy One K with crystals!

... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Love the Cascos. I'm debating between the navy and gold Casco and the navy One K with crystals!
    I love the OneK, and it is soooo incredibly comfortable! But after watching them at a show with a whole lot of sunshine, not such a fan of the helmet bling. I found it far more distracting and revealing of seat issues (because they DO transmit through the whole upper body) than other types of bling. I previously wanted the OneK Bling, but now will stick with the Defender.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I love my Uvex helmet. Airy, light and comfortable. So many models to choose from that you don't HAVE to spend a lot...unless you want to

Hi All, I live in Essex, UK and the Dressage mob over here are starting to wear Uvex. samshield is popular as is Champion Ayr 8. I personally luv my Casco and I have a Gateshead Airtech which I compete in.

Quote Originally Posted by Joandripple View Post
    Hi All, I live in Essex, UK and the Dressage mob over here are starting to wear Uvex. samshield is popular as is Champion Ayr 8. I personally luv my Casco and I have a Gateshead Airtech which I compete in.

Would that be Gatehouse or Champion Air Tech and Charles Owen AYR8 ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

While not as "pretty" as the OneK, I agree about the Uvex - it is very lightweight and comfortable, well ventilated, and very low profile. I was also told a few months ago by someone with a lot of industry knowledge and experience that the Uvex is "state of the art" in its technology. Uvex is well known for its winter sports helmets - I saw a bunch of them on skiiers, snow boarders, etc., while watching the Soshi Olympics.

I really don't find the buggy look of the Uvex very appealing.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I believe Uvex has done more research than most and they have a superior shock absorbing technology (read on their website). I would be inclined to buy one as my next helmet...some models are prettier than others. I'd rather protect my brain better if it comes down to looks vs function.

A local tack store brought in Uvex helmets... and were so disappointed with the quality they sent them straight back
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

1 members found this post helpful.

All the helmet companies claim superior technology. When it comes down to it they are pretty much the same. A shell of various plastics/composites covering styrofoam are the basic requirements. The variations are in linings/harnesses/airflow and other superficial but expensive details.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I love the OneK, and it is soooo incredibly comfortable! But after watching them at a show with a whole lot of sunshine, not such a fan of the helmet bling. I found it far more distracting and revealing of seat issues (because they DO transmit through the whole upper body) than other types of bling. I previously wanted the OneK Bling, but now will stick with the Defender.
    Oh very good to know... My friend and barnmate bought the bling One K a few months ago. It's really pretty but I haven't seen it out in the sun because sadly that glowing orb goes into hibernation for the winter here in the PNW

You've got me leaning toward the Casco now... The one I *really* want is the cream and brown leather: http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo/2100228.html. I think it's just gorgeous, but unfortunately not competition appropriate and I can't really afford two of them! The navy and gold is a close second for me though and will match my shad perfectly!

Unfortunately the selection online of both the Casco and Uvex helmets is surprisingly limited. And you have to watch what is approved for competitions.
    In Europe the selection is much better, a wide variety of prices and styles. Uvex has some beautiful designs that I have not found online - not all the "buggy" head look. I found a black leather Casco for 100Eur - approved for competitions here.

My advice if you are going to WEG would be to wait until then to buy. Or try Divoza - they can have some better selection.