The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1289

why so far out in the "boonies"? why not in CA? you would get a lot more folks, i would think?

A group has to sign up for three years, that's a big commitment for riders and auditors!
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Agreed both of you!! The Pennsylvania group is still strong obviously because there is more population in the NE thus more interest and perhaps shorter travel distances. The logic of the western states one was to try to find a centralized location (Cali is not real central albeit there is $$ there and perhaps would be more auditors). Both venues got their commitment from their riders.

But the auditing/spectating fee is pricey for this economy (for any economy for that matter). $3150 for the three years for the auditor. (not including of course your own expenses and travel) . $400/session to be a spectator. The price is much more affordable in Europe due to less travel distance for the instructors and the much cheaper overall price of indoor arena rental.

The 3 year series intention is to form instructors not just riders, who will then carry on the methode to their students. Therefore I can understand the logic. However I feel they should have made auditing and even just spectating more accessible (affordable) for the enthusiast or even the curious. That is after all how you attract attention and create buzz as we say here.

Sadly I think they priced themselves out of the market on this one.

1 members found this post helpful.

A three year series is not really going to produce instructors that have the depth of knowledge necessary to teach anyone well.

The 12k does NOT guarantee that the riders will pass and become instructors, but it does assure some exposure to the method, and how to train a horse progressively. Some succeed, others do not. Ideally the horse by the end of the time has not only learned the mobilizations/flexions/extensions of the neck, works in all the gaits (including lateral work/figures), is working on changes, perhaps does sw or piaffe (all this depends upon the rider participating). And even if the student does pass, they then have to present a themselves and a student periodically afterwards. (And pk is not the one teaching here any longer.)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

No wonder they're undersubscribed--that format is perfectly daft! Who the h-e-double-boothooks knows where they're going to be in THREE YEARS??? Not to mention that over a thousand dollars to AUDIT means you durn well better be having an audience with God! For that price I'd expect to have dinner and wine with Podhajsky, Klimke, Baucher, Racinet and XENOPHON at the LEAST!

4 members found this post helpful.

It IS a BIG commitment for the riders (and 3k for full course viewers). Others can come and go, but will get no credits for it.

That said, how many any longer serve a long term apprenticeship (which would be 'free' in older europe because you work for the ability to learn), and would bi weekly lesson be about the same price with a good proffi. The good part is that it offers a sense of mutual learning, and on ANY horse!
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Default Open Clinic option for Philippe Karl School of Légèreté

Quote Originally Posted by belgianWBLuver View Post
    Agreed both of you!! The Pennsylvania group is still strong obviously because there is more population in the NE thus more interest and perhaps shorter travel distances. The logic of the western states one was to try to find a centralized location (Cali is not real central albeit there is $$ there and perhaps would be more auditors). Both venues got their commitment from their riders.

But the auditing/spectating fee is pricey for this economy (for any economy for that matter). $3150 for the three years for the auditor. (not including of course your own expenses and travel) . $400/session to be a spectator. The price is much more affordable in Europe due to less travel distance for the instructors and the much cheaper overall price of indoor arena rental.

The 3 year series intention is to form instructors not just riders, who will then carry on the methode to their students. Therefore I can understand the logic. However I feel they should have made auditing and even just spectating more accessible (affordable) for the enthusiast or even the curious. That is after all how you attract attention and create buzz as we say here.

Sadly I think they priced themselves out of the market on this one.
    There is also an "Open Clinic" option which can be added to the format.

Bertrand Ravoux is instructing (as he does for the Teacher's Course) but it offers a much lower price point & level of commitment for rider & auditors.

Each clinic runs over 3 days with 8 participating riders:

Day 1: Private 1 hour lessons

Day 2: Private 1 hour lessons and 1 1/2 hour Q & A session

Day 3: Private 1 hour lessons
    Rider cost is $750 (there are even school horses available at a reasonable fee).
    Auditor cost is $175 (for 3 days, daily rate also available).

(rider payment includes one free auditor)

I found this interesting, Teacher's Course auditors may
    Attend any other Teachers' Course of the School of Légèreté worldwide, free of charge.
    (there is also an option to audit single sessions from the Teacher's Course - note, that when the 2011 - 2014 course was announced, the Auditor's Course Pass was offered at a significant discount.)

Disclaimer: I'm in no way affiliated with For The Horse, just wanted to indicate that there is flexibility in the fee structure.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    It IS a BIG commitment for the riders (and 3k for full course viewers). Others can come and go, but will get no credits for it.

That said, how many any longer serve a long term apprenticeship (which would be 'free' in older europe because you work for the ability to learn), and would bi weekly lesson be about the same price with a good proffi. The good part is that it offers a sense of mutual learning, and on ANY horse!
    for folks who truly want to learn there are opportunities out there.... they may not be glamorous, or easy to fit into your current lifestyle, but if a rider wants to truly learn - it is out there.

i would not consider one of these clinics to be a path way to trainer-ship - i think those folks will learn in a different manner for the most part... these over priced affairs are for the ammie who wants to learn but who cant afford to drop life and go be a barn rat.

anyway, if a rider really has the desire to learn - there are opportunities out there... and many of them dont cost an arm and a leg.

eta: and yes, any horse will work as long as it is sound and of decent conformation. My feeling now is that for the first few try's of training a horse correctly up the levels would be a sane, safe easy horse or pony that allows mistakes and works hard this builds confidence etc

Default Thanks for posting the Open Clinic option

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    There is also an "Open Clinic" option which can be added to the format.

Bertrand Ravoux is instructing (as he does for the Teacher's Course) but it offers a much lower price point & level of commitment for rider & auditors.

[/I]

This is however not offered YET in the U.S. I thought, when I first read it, it was a better, more realistic option for an amateur enthusiast who just wants a rewarding experience.

But to participate in this Open Clinic you must travel to B.C., Canada - at present.

I think - in fact it is very likely they'll offer it here in the states attached to the PA venu and eventually to the western states venue (when that venue is finalized)

M. Ravoux's teaching, in any case, is worth it. In fact I'm considering saving my $$ for a trip over to his farm, in the gorgeous Auvergne region, for 10 days, just to re-immerse myself in the methode. Then I could bring all that work back to my greenie upon return. What a dream...

Open clinics are in several places, just not with Bertrand.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    for folks who truly want to learn there are opportunities out there.... they may not be glamorous, or easy to fit into your current lifestyle, but if a rider wants to truly learn - it is out there.

i would not consider one of these clinics to be a path way to trainer-ship - i think those folks will learn in a different manner for the most part... these over priced affairs are for the ammie who wants to learn but who cant afford to drop life and go be a barn rat.

anyway, if a rider really has the desire to learn - there are opportunities out there... and many of them dont cost an arm and a leg.

eta: and yes, any horse will work as long as it is sound and of decent conformation. My feeling now is that for the first few try's of training a horse correctly up the levels would be a sane, safe easy horse or pony that allows mistakes and works hard this builds confidence etc
    ^^ I agree - if you really want it you can go for it. I did many years ago when I was young.

I know they are targeting the well-off ammy who wants to live the dream - that's obvious in the pricing structure of the 3 year clinic. I think however after a couple of years we'll have a nice base (yes I'm an optimiste!) of classical legerite instructors out there from whom to draw from. These American instructors will offer apprenticeships, clinics, or just lessons to those who can spend some time and hopefully the ball will be rolling well for Legerite in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Open clinics are in several places, just not with Bertrand.
    Didn't quite read that from the explanation - must be blind.

These Open Clinics - are they offered by the different graduates of the Legerite school? Like N. Weinage etc...

Yes, Nichole and several others.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

There are three open clinics planned with Nicole Weinauge in NY for 2013. Send me a pm for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleBreeze View Post
    There are three open clinics planned with Nicole Weinauge in NY for 2013. Send me a pm for more info.
    The latest news I've received is there will be clinics with Melanie Bulmahn a danish rider/trainer who is equally a graduate of the P. Karl Legerite school. These will be organized and held at Golden Creek Equine (Cheyenne, WY).

Personally I'll wait until Betrand Ravoux comes to my area - only because I am quite familiar with his teachings.

But - I say - let the flood gates open. The more "Legerite" graduates who come here to teach the merrier - as long as they uphold the quality of their predessesor.

There will also be four in Seattle area: http://www.cadburyfarm.com/clinics-at-cadbury-farm/
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by belgianWBLuver View Post
    The more "Legerite" graduates who come here to teach the merrier - as long as they uphold the quality of their predessesor.
    Legerite?

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Legerite?
    "La belle legerete a la Francaise" . . . beautiful French way of "Lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    "La belle legerete a la Francaise" . . . beautiful French way of "Lightness."
    In case anyone missed it. Swamp Yankee= Lady Eboshi

2 members found this post helpful.