The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 50 of 65 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1289

AFAIK, high blowing (for non TBs) means horses is relaxed and unconstrained - so it is a good sign.....

Figure 14 is the closest image resembling what I did with my guy--but I dont think I got the same gaping jaw. In fact I was thinking about how one would actually take an image that showed flexions for illustration purposes----I do not think it would be easy--and I have only taken about 100,000 images.. The article (excerpt) on Poll Suppling is from Janet Foys new book and is available for downloading from eTrack--the USDF educational site.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    AFAIK, high blowing (for non TBs) means horses is relaxed and unconstrained - so it is a good sign.....
    Please define "high blowing."

thx

The noise rather sounds like a race horse galloping but softer. It should be soft, nostrils quivering with the exhale. It is caused because the chest is raised and the horse seeks the hand, and the lungs are better supported. It should not sound like a winded horse, nor be the inhalation sound (which would be struggling through a closed throat latch).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    Figure 14 is the closest image resembling what I did with my guy--but I dont think I got the same gaping jaw. In fact I was thinking about how one would actually take an image that showed flexions for illustration purposes----I do not think it would be easy--and I have only taken about 100,000 images.. The article (excerpt) on Poll Suppling is from Janet Foys new book and is available for downloading from eTrack--the USDF educational site.
    i wish the flexion images from the book i linked to above were still online in the preview because they are really good, clear and instructive images..... with really clear and concise descriptions...

GP - I would lend you my book but it might be cheaper just to buy it considering it will be mostly postage that you will be paying anyway

Here you can get a copy for 2.44 well worth the $$

and here you can get it for .48!!

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post

The Western people have it all in their hands if they want to study--done well, they might be the closest thing today to what's shown in La Guerinere. BTW, I've tried it in Western tack with my old guy, the one who I trained with Racinet, and we ROCKED!
    Just a tidbit of information for you Western - French Classisists - the list of riders for the Santa Fe Legerite clinic in 2013 with Betrand Ravoux, includes at least 2 Western instructors (maybe more - here is a link to the list: http://www.santafepk.com/).
    As I will be auditing - I kind of look forward to watching them as well as everyone else. Don't know if they will actually ride western or what types of horses they will bring - will keep you all posted...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    hey GoodPony! look what i found! images of flexions from Equitation
    by Henry L. de Bussigny

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Equitation/Chapter_12

(sorry, edited it is from a different book but still nonetheless what is generally shown in the french school books that i have)
    For those who can muddle through the French lang. - this is the article I studied from back in the 80's - nice that now it is on the net for everyone!

http://www.equi-leger.fr/flexions.html

There are so many articles on flexions in French but not all correct!

MBM - Thanks for posting the Froissard book - it has all the good flexions and I can reread it online! I forgot how well it is written.
    Last edited by belgianWBLuver; Oct. 16, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

belgianWBLuver said,

"As I will be auditing - I kind of look forward to watching them as well as everyone else."

A clinic report for your ol` buddies on COTH would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by re-runs View Post
    belgianWBLuver said,

"As I will be auditing - I kind of look forward to watching them as well as everyone else."

A clinic report for your ol` buddies on COTH would be much appreciated.
    And as I plan to take notes I will try my best to redact them onto our beloved COTH

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    It is caused because the chest is raised and the horse seeks the hand, and the lungs are better supported.
    Would then this not also be (in part) a function of 'activating' the lower abdominal muscles (as in stepping over exercises) and a swinging back---since my understanding is only a rhythmically swinging back allows for powerfully working abdominal muscles.

I strongly suspect there is a correlation between the 'elegantly curving neck'/more open throat latch and the 'high blowing'--the sound is of the nostrils vibrating softly on exhale. I still would like to understand how the 'neck shape' was created---because to my eye it was different.

Quite interestingly (to me-at least) is today my guy came out of the barn on a much straighter track--rather than his vaguely 'banana' shaped self. I had a lesson today so was in 'that mode' and not as conscious of the small things as yesterday. My instructor did the flexions from the ground this time--again nothing fancy.

goodpony I sent you a PM
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

gothcha and have sent you a pm

"I still would like to understand how the 'neck shape' was created---because to my eye it was different."

I would suspect that he felt good about something. Like a horse working free and he sees another horse, or it is one of those days when the stars line up for him and he is feeling good about life. We have all seen horses act this way and wish we could capture that energy and enthusiasm and repeat it undersaddle, every ride. Well, it IS possible and you probably got a glimpse of what CAN be.

Buck Brannaman says that when you do some of the proper exercises either from the ground or from the saddle that the horse is so relieved that 'the person has finally got it"..... as if the language barrier was at last broken down between you.

Mind you, you may have been doing nothing wrong before but, when you did the proper exercises that horses understand, it took a big load off the horse and he figured some of the confusion had disappeared. You were now, through body language, speaking in the horse`s language. Stepping under and untracking is something that all horses understand. You will watch mares nudge their foals hindquarters away on the foals first day of life. As Ray Hunt used to remind everybody, "This thing has a mind. Horses are a thinking, descision making animal."

"He knows when you know." R.H.

I am so excited for the both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by re-runs View Post
    I would suspect that he felt good about something. Like a horse working free and he sees another horse, or it is one of those days when the stars line up for him and he is feeling good about life. We have all seen horses act this way and wish we could capture that energy and enthusiasm and repeat it undersaddle, every ride. Well, it IS possible and you probably got a glimpse of what CAN be.
    He has finally reached and age/stage in his progression where he is finally able to give more both physically and mentally to his work. Interestingly it all started with him really coming through the poll, then the trunk, then the haunches--and I can remember exact moment those three things came together. I dont know if that is the natural order of things---but that is how it happened for us. My work with him now is almost completely focused on achieving more straightening and 'throughness" all while trying not to interrupt back activity or block with the hand (which somedays I think I might be the the world champion party pooper). With him--when he is straight--he is through and the quality of his work/gaits improves radically. What I think is hilarious is he is almost an exact mirror of all the mistakes I make riding. My instructor said to me today that we make a good team and I have to say he is my little buddy.

Default Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    ‘The technique of breathing plays an important part in the performance of the horse, in the same way that it does with a human being. This technique will be the result of methodical training and will increase the powers of endurance. Excited horses, which do not carry the weight of their riders correctly, will be sooner out of breath and unable to produce as good a performance as well-trained horses. Regular breathing will reveal to the observer a physically and mentally well-balanced horse stepping with regularity. High blowing is a sign of well-being.’

----Alois Podhajsky in his book The Complete Training of the Horse and Rider.

My guy usually 'snorts' before going to work---the high blowing is something completely new for him. And Im intrigued by the idea that i may be related to the longer more elegant neck I saw yesterday.
    Oh how I miss my boy!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Default You know that your flexions are successful when the neck forms a longer arch

You know that your flexions are successful when the neck forms a longer arch, The rein contact is softer, steadier, and more even, the back lifts more, the rib cage expands more into the riders legs and the horse is more in front of the leg
    Supple the Horse with Flexions - by Dr. Thomas Ritter

Imagine my surprise when I came across this article last night while looking for something else. The article also appears in DT Aug. 2008 complete with images (which show quite a lot of neck bend)---is available for purchase (99c) online through Zinio if anyone is interested. The bolding is mine.

So it wasn't just my imagination....also interesting is the mention of the ribcage expanding.

Thomas Ritter was a student of Karl Mikolka, once a rider at the SRS. SRS is La Guerinere.

Hmmmmm.

1 members found this post helpful.

Today I was able to reproduce/confirm the work with the same/similar results. Pony seemed just as happy as though he's been waiting for this--I was really enjoying seeing his little fuzzy ears flopping along and the place he was giving me to sit was really lovely. He is not able to stay there for very long--but neither am I. Small Chunks I guess.

One other thing I noticed today while tacking up--no idea if this is related but the base of his neck near the wither seemed narrower/smother--less constricted. Ive mentioned this before but he rather cresty to begin with--not usually hard cresty--but always a bit cresty in a cobby kind of way--so NOW im curious about narrowing at the base of the neck.

Base of the neck as in under neck...that would be good. Base as in up by wither....it should get wider (so the shoulder triangle is bulked and the poll the narrowest).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Base of the neck as in under neck...that would be good. Base as in up by wither....it should get wider (so the shoulder triangle is bulked and the poll the narrowest).
    My thought was a change in carriage where the neck is lengthened instead of squished, rather than the actual development of muscle and loss of underneck muscle which would show as ideayoda stated. Either one is a good thing.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed