The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Atlanta area boarding barn needed.

I'm relocating to Atlanta at the end of the month and looking for a boarding barn for my gelding. I will potentially have a second horse later this winter too.

I will be living in Midtown/Old Fourth Ward and working in Smyrna. I've accepted the fact I will be living in my car and always stuck in traffic. Hoping to keep the barn within an hour of the city.

Barn wise, I am just looking for safe, not fancy. A ring with decent footing and turnout are a must. Also a barn that understands how to feed a 17 hand TB (willing to pay extra for more hay/grain). I would prefer to not be tied in with a trainer, since I am hoping to trailer out for lessons etc. Both my horses are very easy to handle, although my gelding does crib, but controlled 100% with a collar (which he always wears). I would like to keep the board under 500, closer to 400 would be even better.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

You will be doing a reverse commute so not that bad. I can't help you on barns in that area though. Maybe GB's in Smyrna? I also work in Smyrna but live north in Canton.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I will be leaving work at 5am and work 12 hour shifts, so will be only working 3 days a week. So hoping I can avoid high traffic hours.

Wish I could help, I'm a bit north of you in the alpharetta area. If you decide to look out this way I can help

oh and yes traffic is awful but not so much at 5am...5pm completely different story

you can PM me if you want...I live in Smyrna and kept a horse in Powder Springs for a while. That would probably be too far for you though (it was too far for me!). GB's is an option, as is the atlanta hunt club if they are taking boarders. Both of those were waaaaay out of my price range, but i was also a grad student! Seven C's is also in Powder Springs I believe. Just depends on how far you want to drive and your budget. IIRC GB's was ~$800 and the hunt club was ~$900+ when I was looking.

Edited because I just saw your budget. In that case you will most likely be looking towards the Powder Springs area. It would be about 30 minutes in the opposite direction of home though. Let me know if I can help
    Last edited by AUeventer; Sep. 5, 2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: can't read

I have an eventing barn west of Atlanta in Douglasville. Full size dressage arena, jumps and a few cross country jumps not far from Chatt Hills. Stalls with small paddock turn out 50X100 feet.

Not sure if they take boarders or if someone close does, but Chatt Hills is about 30 minutes from where you are living and you would not have to through town. There are some barns with small arenas at the Polo fields in Vinings. Little Creek in Decatur is also close but not really set up for eventers.

Other than that, you may need to go to Newnan or Alpharetta-- I did both when I lived in Midtown.

Good luck!