The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Heck, at one of the 100 day testings, someone sent a stallion that had not even yet been started under saddle! Idiotic!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    I noticed that year after year, some owners are sending very green stallions to the test. Isn't it a bit counterproductive? The point of the testing is to test, not to break and train those young stallions, isn't it?
    The testing is for young horses. It is not to break, but part of the process is to see how rideable and trainable horses are. So while sending one that isn't broke would be counterproductive, there were several green horses that went through the testing.

Wasn't there one year a stallion that had NEVER jumped sent through the testing?
    Edward had never been jumped undersaddle. He "had" been sent through the jumping chute. And yeah...it wasn't ideal. Usually Jos and I work the boys before sending them through the testing, but unfortunately, I blew my ACL early this summer and that pretty much finished my getting on anything, which also meant that Jos was picking up the slack of me sitting around eating bon bons. While I am sure Edward would have done much better with more prep work, I'm okay with the fact that he successfully finished the test. He'll go on to a performance career next year, which ultimately, is our goal anyway. We are BIG believers in the testing as it "is" considerably cheaper than going the performance route and once a stallion has completed the testing, we don't have to worry if something should happen before he would finish the competition requirements in order to be fully licensed.

Why would you even do that?

If I'm going to spend that sort of $$$ on sending a stallion through the testing, I want him to arrive well-prepared and ready to face the challenge. No??
    Edward was well prepared in that he was extremely fit and had the basics in place. But he definitely was the greenest stallion there. I also have huge confidence in the training staff at the testing and recognize that while it's NOT an ideal way to do things, sometimes life just gets in the way. With that said, if I wasn't confident that he would come through the testing successfully, we wouldn't have sent him.

We've sent probably more stallions through the testings through out the years than most and have a pretty good idea of what is required and have realistic expectations. We KNEW he would not be at the top of the pack and when you compare his prep work to others, that's understandable . Flip side is, he's 4 and wasn't started until this spring. I prefer that to trying to push him faster and earlier.

Our last stallion for a few years will go through next year. It'll be interesting as he is a 1/2 brother to Edward, but very much dressage type and different style of horse. Additionally, he'll have been with Philesha Chandler for a year - he leaves in two weeks for Florida . Ought to be interesting to make the comparison next year as he'll be the same age, but will have had considerably more prep work. So, it will interesting!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    The testing is for young horses. It is not to break, but part of the process is to see how rideable and trainable horses are. So while sending one that isn't broke would be counterproductive, there were several green horses that went through the testing.

Edward had never been jumped undersaddle. He "had" been sent through the jumping chute. And yeah...it wasn't ideal. Usually Jos and I work the boys before sending them through the testing, but unfortunately, I blew my ACL early this summer and that pretty much finished my getting on anything, which also meant that Jos was picking up the slack of me sitting around eating bon bons. While I am sure Edward would have done much better with more prep work, I'm okay with the fact that he successfully finished the test. He'll go on to a performance career next year, which ultimately, is our goal anyway. We are BIG believers in the testing as it "is" considerably cheaper than going the performance route and once a stallion has completed the testing, we don't have to worry if something should happen before he would finish the competition requirements in order to be fully licensed.

Edward was well prepared in that he was extremely fit and had the basics in place. But he definitely was the greenest stallion there. I also have huge confidence in the training staff at the testing and recognize that while it's NOT an ideal way to do things, sometimes life just gets in the way. With that said, if I wasn't confident that he would come through the testing successfully, we wouldn't have sent him.

We've sent probably more stallions through the testings through out the years than most and have a pretty good idea of what is required and have realistic expectations. We KNEW he would not be at the top of the pack and when you compare his prep work to others, that's understandable . Flip side is, he's 4 and wasn't started until this spring. I prefer that to trying to push him faster and earlier.

Our last stallion for a few years will go through next year. It'll be interesting as he is a 1/2 brother to Edward, but very much dressage type and different style of horse. Additionally, he'll have been with Philesha Chandler for a year - he leaves in two weeks for Florida . Ought to be interesting to make the comparison next year as he'll be the same age, but will have had considerably more prep work. So, it will interesting!
    I love your boy Edward and can't tell you how excited I am to watch your other boy develop with Philesha Chandler! It will be interesting to compare the two next year
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post

Heehee, I never even thought one of yours would fit my description to be honest! Clearly, you know how it works and you know how to get them ready enough for the testing.

But there's green and GREEN.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    Heehee, I never even thought one of yours would fit my description to be honest! Clearly, you know how it works and you know how to get them ready enough for the testing.

But there's green and GREEN.
    Yup...as noted, it was NOT ideal. But neither was the whole knee fiasco <rolling eyes>. And while he definitely was green, he had SOME preparation. Would I recommend it as a plan? Nope. And in retrospect, I'd probably have done something different. But, as my father used to say, "when you're up to your a#$ in alligators, it's hard to remember that your original goal was to drain the swamp." <lol>.

And just for fun, here's a couple pictures of the "green" horse during the last days of the testing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Conformation 1web.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	37178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xcountry air time1web.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	37179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stadium jumpingweb.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	37180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trot1web.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	37181  
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

I saw his pics. I would have never thought he was a green bean. Good for you and love your father's saying!!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Wow, He is absolutely gorgeous!!
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe