The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    As for live streaming, the one way you can make that fair is if you live streamed the whole thing ALL OF IT for the whole 70 days. Each stallion, all the training, jumping sessions, etc. And I imagine that is a pretty daunting task.
    That's only part of the equation. A comment based upon the live stream would only be fair if the commenter had watched "the whole thing ALL OF IT for the whole 70 days. Each stallion, all the training, jumping sessions, etc."...

And the prospect of that is beyond daunting, so I am willing to leave it up to the managers, trainers, riders and judges at the test to do it for me...

4 members found this post helpful.

Great blog entry with good, clear explanation of the process. Thanks, Barb & Summer!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

2 members found this post helpful.

Bell curve or not, the stallions will always finish in the same order based on their individual scores and how they are weighted, i.e. the first place stallion will always be first and the last place stallion will always be last. Even without a bell curve, some stallions would receive overall scores below the minimum accepted score by the registries. It is a test and there is zero point to having a test if none ever fail. Regardless, this is not our decision to make if we are going to offer a test accepted world wide.

Speaking for myself, my question about the validity of the scores given to (last year's) rather modest # of entries was never answered to my satisfaction.

I am NOT an expert on statistics and even the "experts" ended up disagreeing, so I am thrilled to see the # of participants grow. The more stallions who participate in the test, the less I am concerned about the bell curve being accurate.
    The winner of last year's test, while not sold to Europe, is competing and standing at stud in Europe.

Can't wait for one of our homegrown stallions gets sold to Europe as a stallion!
    Last edited by showjumpers66; Nov. 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

1 members found this post helpful.

There is a red toggle button at the bottom of the list that toggles between 70-day, 30-day, and pony tests (this year there are no 30-day stallions).

Quote Originally Posted by hluing View Post
    Why are the pony stallions not listed on the website with pictures? Am I missing them somewhere?
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

What happened to Hemingway?

He was not able to complete the test We are very careful with the stallions, and it was the unanimous decision of the testing staff that he not continue with the test this year at a certain point. We want the stallions to have a long career after this test and will never do anything to jeapordize that. He is welcome back of course to any future test.

Yes, unfortunately Hemmingway was not able to complete the testing this year. We are very grateful to the testing staff who noticed a change in Hemmingway and immediately began consulting with their vets, the staff at Hilltop and his owners. It's an incredible disappointment for everyone connected with Hemmingway, but we all agreed that it was in his best interest to come home to Hilltop instead of risking a permanent injury. He's enjoying a light work schedule right now and we're all looking ahead to the 2013 show season hoping he can do a repeat at the Young Horse National Championships.
    Hilltop Farm, Inc.
    www.hilltopfarminc.com

I was just reading the blog on SJ - it would be nice to know who that lovely bay in the photo is

The bay in the picture for the "Explanation of Showjumping Scoring" post is Canterbury.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCreek View Post
    The bay in the picture for the "Explanation of Showjumping Scoring" post is Canterbury.
    We're very pleased with the job the testing team are doing. Canterbury already had this year's leading 4yo score in freejumping in the Young Horse Show series (in fact he had the highest score of around all 160 horses through that program this year except for a 3yo mare of ours). I also took him out and showed during the summer and he was very good.

True to his breeding, he has always been very rideable, as shown here as a 3yo last year with my 13yo daughter up, after the end of his first breeding season. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tvKU8yTheg

He had a first crop of half a dozen foals this spring which we were very pleased with, especially a colt from a Carvallo x Landego mother who was champion foal at his inspection.

Livello's grandmother is Canterbury's great-grandmother, Biserta, from stam 776. Canterbury was bred by Uwe Bahlman. http://www.horsetelex.nl//horses/pedigree/552886

He seems to be enjoying his work at the test. We're very grateful to Summer and the entire team there and look forward to the final couple of days.

There are some very nice horses in that line up. It is a great option for NA breeders so it is nice to see the numbers up and that it is being supported.

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Quote Originally Posted by ne1 View Post
    True to his breeding, he has always been very rideable, as shown here as a 3yo last year with my 13yo daughter up, after the end of his first breeding season. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tvKU8yTheg
    That child of yours is a good rider! Her hands are super! Someone has done a good job! She should consider being a young horse rider as she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethe Mounce View Post
    That child of yours is a good rider! Her hands are super! Someone has done a good job! She should consider being a young horse rider as she grows up.
    That's very kind Bethe, thank you. There's probably only one thing I like more than bragging on my horses, and that's bragging on my kids, like any parent!

Sarah won her first effort jumping 1.20m a few weeks ago, does a great job starting and competing youngsters with me, and also rehab'd a New Holland rescue this year as her summer project. With all that and also getting experience with the stallion, its a fairly rounded education!

3 members found this post helpful.

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Quote Originally Posted by ne1 View Post
    That's very kind Bethe, thank you. There's probably only one thing I like more than bragging on my horses, and that's bragging on my kids, like any parent!

Sarah won her first effort jumping 1.20m a few weeks ago, does a great job starting and competing youngsters with me, and also rehab'd a New Holland rescue this year as her summer project. With all that and also getting experience with the stallion, its a fairly rounded education!
    The child better get used to being complimented. :-) It's those hands and those are SO important with the young horses. Steady and keeping them straight...just SO critical. The more horses she climbs on, as you know, the better this little one will become. Truly, we have so few really good young horse riders that know what to do when. Timing is everything. She has good feel, she sent the horse forward, he was straight... I do this for a living, and it's not easy, kinda tedious at times, but riding a clean slate is such an adrenaline rush and when they "get it," the emotions run really high! You should brag on this precious child!!!!! You have ALOT to brag about!

Here is the translated judging criteria used to score during the final 3 days!!!

http://www.nastalliontesting.com/ind...nal-three-days

Thanks so much, Summer! You and Barb rock!

FWIW, there are some of us out here who very much appreciate your efforts in organizing/hosting this test, and also in shedding light on the testing process through your blog entries, etc.

One more blog post! Had to talk about the ponies! They were awesome!!!!

http://nastalliontesting.com/index.p...-the-pony-test

Quick question... at what point in the calculation of the scores is the 5 points taken off for the older stallions?

I noticed that year after year, some owners are sending very green stallions to the test. Isn't it a bit counterproductive? The point of the testing is to test, not to break and train those young stallions, isn't it?

Each year, I just find it; on one hand, to be interesting to see those unprepared stallions raise to the challenge; yet it seems unfair to them to send them so unprepared as well!

Wasn't there one year a stallion that had NEVER jumped sent through the testing?

Why would you even do that?

If I'm going to spend that sort of $$$ on sending a stallion through the testing, I want him to arrive well-prepared and ready to face the challenge. No??
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    I noticed that year after year, some owners are sending very green stallions to the test. Isn't it a bit counterproductive? The point of the testing is to test, not to break and train those young stallions, isn't it?

Each year, I just find it; on one hand, to be interesting to see those unprepared stallions raise to the challenge; yet it seems unfair to them to send them so unprepared as well!

Wasn't there one year a stallion that had NEVER jumped sent through the testing?

Why would you even do that?

If I'm going to spend that sort of $$$ on sending a stallion through the testing, I want him to arrive well-prepared and ready to face the challenge. No??
    Yes, I agree that is very short-sighted as one would hope to give the horse the best shot at getting a representative set of scores.

Certainly the TBs are extra challenged as they are bred to race, and the evaluators not giving scores for that skill. I actually found one of the stallions in this years testing that had run as recently as the 23 July 2012. Not much down time there, let alone time for schooling over fences or learning to use your back. I wonder if that individual had been given a year to retool if it would have made a difference in the test scores....my guess is yes.