The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any Authors Here?

Just curious!

I love to write and have thought about writing a book, but I never seem to be able to finish the first paragraph. I'm in awe of those who can! What inspired you to write? How did you pick your topic? How did you get yourself out there to various editors?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

You may already know of Orson Scott Card's site, but if not, you might find it useful.

http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/index.shtml

This is a good (and amusing!) summary of the publishing process, but his blog is also a great source of info on getting published.

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2012...-gif-form.html
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

These are wonderful! Thank you!
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

Yo.

See my sig file for a link to my book, and I'm working on others.

Right now, the way to go is "indie", as it can rack up your sales and prove to editors and agents people are actually willing to read what you write. Especially if you're in a tricky part of a genre to sell. Weirdly, fan fic is also getting to be a good way to get noticed--Cassandra Claire started by writing Harry Potter fic (okay, by plagiarizing stuff and calling it Harry Potter fic, I was one of the neutral readers on the old ff.net forums who checked it for the mods when it got reported, but afaik she actually writes the books she sells now), "Fifty Shades of Gray" is LITERALLY and admittedly just a Twilight fic with the names changed (hence my not buying it- I can get that for free.) More respectably, Naomi Novik started out and still is writing fanfic--Temeraire began as an Aubrey-Martin fanfic ("Master and Commander", just add dragons!)

1 members found this post helpful.

I write non-fiction, primarily horse-related histories, general horse-related, and juvenile sports biographies.

I am now working on books #11, #12, and #13 simultaneously, which is tough while also working full-time, but I felt it would be crazy to turn down offers from publishers. I'd be happy to answer any questions...feel free to PM me anytime.

I have never self-published and personally would not go down that route, although many seem to do so. Just my opinion.

In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," to be released in the summer of '14

2 members found this post helpful.

Wrote two (in sig line). Publisher has subsequently gone out of business, so I need to get them into Kindle format. This has been on my plate to do for ... a year?? Clearly, I am not motivate.

http://www.nanowrimo.org

The word counter helps a lot to stay motivated, plus the forum helps a lot, too, when you get stuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I have a few short stories that I have written (one hopefully will become longer) but honestly I just write to calm myself and relax after work. I would like to get published one day, but its not a huge deal if I don't. I just enjoy writing.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I write crime fiction. Some of it horse related. Not self-published, took me a very long time to find an actual publisher. Writing is all about practice, patience and persistence. Still don't have an agent, currently looking for one.

I love to read, and that's what inspired me to write. I work in a middle school library, surrounded by books and introducing kids to books I love.

Here's my amazon author page, I have one novel and some short stories available -
    http://www.amazon.com/J.E.-Seymour/e...419&sr=1-2-ent

My website: http://jeseymour.com

4corners, very cool...I wish I could write fiction! I am going to check out your books.
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," to be released in the summer of '14

I write mostly non-fiction and mostly for equine publications (EQUUS, Stable Management, AQHA Journal, Trail Blazer and a few others) although I've also done some stuff in dog magazines, cat magazines, and general interest magazines.

I have one book out and a 2nd book that would be out except that the publishing company was sold and the buyers decided not to honor the contract for book #2.

The whole thing with the 2nd book has been a nightmare, and I swear it is had just eaten my creativity. I need to try to find a publisher for that book, but I just can't even stand to open the stories/chapters. I have two other books I would like to write, but I can't stand the idea of writing them, either.

I know about 'getting over rejection' as I have a lovely collection of rejection letters. It is another thing entirely to get an acceptance letter (or email), get a contract, and then not have a book after doing the work.

Anyway, enough whining. I do have one fiction short story that I have been sending out for publishing and a children's book I've been trying to find a publisher for.

Lately, I find myself having a hard time concentrating and setting aside the time for serious writing. I have about five or so articles I need to get done, so I'm going to have to focus and work. And then I need to pitch stories to other publications.

I admire those who can make a living off of freelance writing. You guys are more dedicated and focused than I am... I need to find my focus again.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I write a lot - I haven't tried to get an agent yet and don't really want to do self-publishing (I prefer the old-fashioned Agent to Editor to Publisher route). The series I'm working with now just sort of popped into my head one day - it started out as one book, revolving around 2 or 3 ideas I had floating in my brain at the time.

Then, the characters sort of took on lives of their own and one book evolved into a five-book series. The more I write, the deeper and more complex (and more fun, for me!) it gets. This series is urban fantasy with historical fiction. But I'm also researching a nonfiction historical.

If you want to write, the only way to do it is to sit down and write, sorry! You might want to check out the Writers Water Cooler site. There isn't really one "right" or "wrong" way to go about it. Some people plot out everything; others, like me, are more organic and prefer to see where the story goes as we write. Do you have any story ideas or characters that won't leave you alone? Is there a particular kind of novel that you like to read? If so, that's probably the genre you'd like to write as well.

I certainly wouldn't call myself an author, but I write some stuff, both personally and professionally (currently at boring day job, business-related). I've written published nonfiction articles for horse magazines, general newspapers, and business publications. I've written fiction for fun. And my old ranch horse Whiskey writes short stories as a blog, which I, of course, have absolutely nothing at all to do with. I would love to publish something, and keep thinking self-publishing would be the way to go. But I really don't know how to do it and so I procrastinate even taking the first baby steps of asking people how they've done it themselves. Yep. Here I am, not publishing anything!
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

Thank you all for the feedback!

I seem to have a million ideas floating around up there, but all of them seem vastly different then the next. I'm registering on the sight that Ala provided, maybe that will give me the kick in the pants that I need to get everything sorted out up there!

4corners- My Mom LOVED your novel. She was raving about it for days!

I now have my next list of books for the kindle as well. Advice AND good reads... how much luckier can a girl get?!

The thing with the agent to editor to publisher: that works if you are either writing what is more or less already out there (see all the Twilight and Hunger Games clones in the YA section now, down to the cover art) OR if you're in a super-specialized market and have a small-press publisher.

I've never gotten a bad rejection letter from a real publisher. They actually have all really liked the book (especially Pyr, which is why I'm doing something else to send them that's more their style--not mine, but whatever, and I have spare characters lying around). But it's urban fantasy without being a paranormal romance (ie the 'tarts with tramp stamps' genre), so it would be tricky to market. Print publishers like either something that will sell in a small specialty market, or something they KNOW will sell.

Oh, and you need to crank it out. That's another PITA.

I've written one novel, working on three(!!) more at the moment. I also do a lot of nonfiction freelance writing for horse mags, and have recently started a blog where I review horse-related books. I'm also a longtime poet and have had many of them published in journals and anthologies (my most recent claim to fame was when one was selected for publication by Phillip Levine, a previous US Poet Laureate!!! He even sent me a nice little note telling me that I'd done a good job with it and it was a nice poem!!!!!!!!!!!). I'm hoping to really edit and work the heck out of at least one of my novels and maybe, hopefully, one day get it to an agent. That would be a dream come true. Gradually querying larger horse publications is also on my to-do list, too.

Oh, and I work for a self-publishing company. Learning lots about the book publishing world!

the writing isn't the problem for me tho (even I am currently fatigued to no end so my writing is really crappy right now) but the editing...I have 2 stories waiting for the big once over...can't do it. I know the mistakes, know to a great extend what needs to happen...nope, nada...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I am writing a novel that is based in the racehorse industry. I literally get most of my story lines from true events that have happened to me and my husband as we have racehorses. It has been a lot of fun so far, but I am far and away from getting published.
    Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

Meh, I write the occaisional magazine article, but we have here on COTH a real deal novelist, LaurieB (Laurien Berenson), who had published a whole boatload of novels set in the dog show world. And they are GREAT!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.