The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default width of driving track

I have a pretty trail area along a creek for riding. I would like to use it for driving but there are two very narrow places in it. What is the minimum width - and prefered widty - that I need these places expanded to in order to be able to use it for any driving I might want to do. I have pony carts, but don't yet have a sleigh or cart for my perch/tb mare. I was thinking seven feet would be ideal, but would narrower work? I think my tractor is six feet wide.

If you're competing at FEI in the cones section, width between the cones for 4 in hand is 190 cm, for pairs is 170 cm and for singles is 160cm. For ponies its 170 cm for 4 and tandems and 160 cm for singles and pairs. So you could base your width on that measurement! If its wide enough for them to gallop through, I guess you could walk!

Where the trail is narrow, what borders it? I will take my pony through some pretty tight places if it is bordered by scrub oak, yucca or anything else that isn't considered desirable vegetation, or if I own whatever I might bang up. My pony is very reliable on going where I point him, and if I do miscalculate and brush something, it doesn't bother him. If he were upset by it, I wouldn't take the risk. And I don't push the limits going through trees, because they are bigger and stronger than we are.

Rebecca

Oh, thank you! It's on my property. It is land that I don't use for much except riding. Sometimes the ponies graze there, but usually it's just there. It a 1/2 mile along a beautiful creek. It's not irrigated so it stays dry and the footing is smooth and solid. It gets close to the property line at two places, but it is wide enough for turns and courses at other places. I like to leave trees on the actual property line for a visual barrier so that takes up some space. Then there are trees on the creek side. I can take out a few small trees and make it wider. From phoebetrainer's post it looks like I should have 170 cm's which is 5'7". I can do that pretty easily, I think. I can start with the 170 cm's and go from there if I need more - but it looks like I wouldn't. This is very helpful. Thanks!
    Last edited by Coyoteco; Sep. 1, 2012 at 01:04 PM.

170 cm is 5'7". Not sure where the 57 cm came from. 57 cm is nearly 2'. I think you need a wider track than that!

lol - that would be seriously narrow! I'll fix that typo. Thanks for the great information - and correction!

How fast do you want to go through the narrow spots?
    How wide is the widest carriage you might want to drive?

The 170cm width is based on a 148cm wheel track at advanced level; Prelim gets wheel track + 35cm.

Another point of reference: on marathon, no compulsory gate may be narrower than 2.50 meters.

mares tails, thank you for the additional information. Right now, I'm just thinking of pleasure driving at the narrow parts, but I'll look at the 2.5 meter width and plan for that.
    The wheel track plus 35 cm's is helpful, too. However, I don't know what the wheel width might be in the future so that is something to think about and look up.
    The idea of the 2.5 meter width does make my thought of 7 feet inadequate.
    Great information on this thread. I appreciate it.