The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Long distance haulers

Have 2 horses possibly moving from California to Virgina. Anyone have experience with a hauler? Prices? Thanks everyone! I have been googling, but thought I would ask for some first hand info.

Bob Hubbard or Brookledge. Figure about a buck per loaded mile per horse.

Equine Express
    http://www.equineexpress.com/

Experienced & professional, good feedback from several who have used them. Also reported to have good communications. EE will chat with you for a quote.

Brookledge has always been wonderful for my horse
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Quote Originally Posted by OverandOnward View Post
    Equine Express
    http://www.equineexpress.com/

Experienced & professional, good feedback from several who have used them. Also reported to have good communications. EE will chat with you for a quote.
    Ditto. Have always been happy with them.

Anyone ever use Cox Transport?

A horse I sold in CA was shipped via Cox to Ohio. It wasn't an air ride, and the horse arrived in rough shape.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Used Azevedo Transportation twice for long distance hauls and was very very happy. They took excellent care of my geriatric critter.

Hauled 2 the first time, 3 the second. They have hauled for friends too. Very pleased with them. They have a place in CA and in TX. Kept my horses at the TX facility for a few days to get a full trailer. They were GREAT. Todd and Tony Azevedo get two thumbs up from me.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I second Bob Hubbard. I've had several very good experiences with them.

I'm using American Horse Transport to bring my new yearling to Seattle from GA. He leaves next week. I read nothing but good about them here on COTH which is why I chose them, and so far their customer service has been fantastic. They have been super responsive and promptly call me with updates as we've been working on a departure date. I don't know when you're needing your horses transported but I will definitely post an update once my little guy gets here with the final review.

I suggest www.uship.com - countless haulers who will 'bid' on your shipment and YOU pick who 'wins' based on whatever preferences you have.
    Lorelei Farm - Welsh and Riding Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for hunters, dressage and driving!

I just last weekend shipped 26 ponies and horses from Cleveland, Ohio to Charleston, SC. I had 4 stallions, mares with foals, yearlings, 2 yr olds, 3 yrs olds, etc up to a 25 yr old. All arrived safely with the exception of one goofy mare that ended up with a few bumps and cuts due to her own silly behaviour. I used Creech Horse Transport - they were wonderful!! - Can't say enough good things about them. Will use them again without hesitation.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

FYI...I am getting a horse shipped from VA to OR and got a quote from Equine Express for about $2600.

I have been happy with them in the past but have calls out to Hubbard, McLemore's, Brookledge and a couple of others to see where they come in.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Had a client ship her horse from CA to our farm in VA with Nationwide. Horse was picked up and spent some layover time in CO then came the rest of the way. They were in contact with me once the horse got to CO, called when he left, called when they were 2 hours from our meeting point and arrived exactly when they said they would.

They upgraded him from a standing stall to the broodmare stall from KY to VA and he came off the rig looking great. The man who delivered him was very pleasant and took a few minutes to tell me how he had done both at the layover and in transit which I appreciated as I knew nothing about the horse.

Have no idea about cost as the owner arranged the trip but I can't say anything negative about Nationwide.

the biggest thing to think about is what kind of rig do you want your horse to haul in?

the big guys, like Brookledge, Hubbard, etc use big air ride semi's. The smaller guys use regular slant loads.

i didn't know the difference until my 2 yo pony stallion was sardined into a 7 horse slant for the ride from IL to CA. poor pony. I would not do that again.

pay the extra for professional service.

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    A horse I sold in CA was shipped via Cox to Ohio. It wasn't an air ride, and the horse arrived in rough shape.
    same hauler that i used for pony. would NEVER use them again! One of the drivers told me how they drove tired and sleepy (ie they drove 24 hours a day) there were two drivers one of them was deaf! they would switch one drove while one slept in the back of the truck.

no way would i use those folks again. you will also notice there are no pics of their rigs on their website.....

Witnessed Cox employees almost beat a horse onto the trailer this morning. They had NO clue what to do with a difficult loader..you can bet that horse won't be unloaded until he reaches his destination !!

Scottie Crandal is in CA and does custom hauls all over the US. The next best thing to traveling with the horse yourself. Excellent care from an expert horseperson who cares very deeply about horses. When doing overnights on long hauls, Scottie sleeps in the trailer parked outside the horse motel. Not an air ride, but a 3 horse goose (only downside). She stopped to check horse and call me with report every hour last time I had her haul. PM me if you want Scottie's #.

I've also used Bob Hubbard to ship a horse from CA to CO and they did a great job & I'd use them again. I do think using a bigger rig can be much easier on such a long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by qhwpmare View Post
    Witnessed Cox employees almost beat a horse onto the trailer this morning. They had NO clue what to do with a difficult loader..you can bet that horse won't be unloaded until he reaches his destination !!
    No clue is correct. After 45 minutes of watching them try to load a two y.o., and watching them get increasingly more angry, I took the leadline and in a few minutes had him loaded myself. I worried about that horse the entire trip, and the buyer told me he was very sick when he got to Ohio. If they unloaded and reloaded, I'm fairly certain it was a disaster. If they didn't unload, he spent days standing in a narrow slant stall with his head up. Either way, it was bad.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I wouldn't use a hauler that doesn't have an air ride rig for long distance hauling. It's just too hard on the horses in general.