The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weltstern passes away at 30

It is with a very heavy heart that we announce that "the Grand Old Man", Weltstern passed away this evening.

When Weltstern first came to stay here ten years ago we had no idea just how strong a bond we would form with this amazing stallion. To attempt to describe the Weltstern temperament is an exercise in futility, but those of you who knew him or have one of his offspring can certainly understand. We are very grateful to Sharon Michael for giving us the opportunity to have the last ten of his thirty long years here at Greenstone Farm.

We had talked for a number of years now about how hard it was going to be to make the inevitable decision when his health declined. In the end he made it easy, one minute he was peacefully grazing, the next he was gone. Weltstern is buried near his favorite tree, overlooking daughters and granddaughters. Happy trails dear friend, until we meet again.

Beautiful boy, sorry for your loss. http://www.greenstonefarm.com/stalli...bloodlines.htm

He was a wonderful and talented stallion... so sorry for your loss.
    Arthur and Elaine

I am so very sorry! Hugs to you both!!!
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Havinghad one of his first daughters, I still miss her every day.
    RIP Welstern, you were a super sire
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

I'm so sorry to hear this very sad news.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

My condolences, as well.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

"A super sire", as Maryanna said. It is great that you and he enjoyed his last 10 years, and that he has sons and daughters to continue his blood.

Sorry to hear this. Our first Oldenburg foal was by Weltstern - we named her Wyoming "Ming". She was placed in the Premium Mare book and has been a consistent producer of Premium foals that have gone on to be very successful in performance for a friend of mine who purchased her as a 2 yo.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

The end of an era for me with Weltstern's passing. I purchased him as a 9 year old, sight-unseen via phone link from a VA warmblood auction, seeing him for the first time when I met the hauler in Denver. He was the foundation of my sporthorse breeding program and when age and injuries forced my downsizing to sportponies, he became the foundation for that breeding program as well.

I can never thank Carolyn and Jim enough for the care, good management and love they invested in him during his 10 years with them. He deserved it and they made the last 10 years of his life stress free and happy.

Sorry to hear of your passing and our thoughts are with the Greenstone Farm Family.

Weltstern truly was one of the “best kept secrets” in US Warmblood breeding. You made your mark and your legacy truly will live on in your up and coming offspring. We look forward to campaigning our Weltstern son and granddaughter in the coming years.

From one of your biggest fans, RIP in Weltstern…

Quote Originally Posted by RyanDale View Post
    Weltstern truly was one of the “best kept secrets” in US Warmblood breeding.
    His biggest handicap was the fact the he was live cover only, would not collect and the first 10 years I owned him we were in MT, not an active market for warmblood horses especially in the 90s.

I think it was only after people started looking at the percentages of his foals that were premium foals and his number of approved stallion sons that they started to realize that these were from a limited number of foals produced compared to other stallions standing at the same time. It was the last 10 years, when he was available in VA, that he started to gain more recognition with some of the warmblood breeders. Greenstone Farms were the ones responsible for much of that recognition in the last 10 years of his breeding career, something I was unable to do successfully.
    Last edited by Sportpony; Sep. 4, 2012 at 01:28 PM.

What a grand old man. He left quite a legacy. May he rest in peace and enjoy those green pastures beyond the rainbow bridge.

Awwww I am so sorry I am glad he made the it easier on you in the end but I know it is still not easy
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

So glad it was a peaceful passing, Carolyn and Jim.

Many thanks for the kind words for Weltstern and for us.

He was a great "Ambassador", even winning over my self proclaimed "non-horsey" husband and transforming him into a bonafide horse person (even if he doesn't admit it publically).

It has been a very sad 24 hours but it has also been a period of reflection on some very fond memories and contact from many fine friends that we never would have met if not for Weltstern. It is truly amazing the effect our wonderful four legged friends can have on our lives.

We were very blessed to have had Weltstern in our lives and to have him live on in our beloved Weltstern descendents.

Default So sorry Carolyn....

You had a grand ole man in that one. They teach us so much......and leave such a big hole in our hearts. Hugs.
    Micki

Sorry to hear this news, but am glad it was a peaceful passing for him. Godspeed to a grand old man. He had a long run, and it was your good care that got him to age 30.

I am so sorry for his loss, but glad he went so peacefully. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to the older guys -- I still can't believe mine is gone. Godspeed, Weltstern.
    PennyG