The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Smitten Kitchen's red wine chocolate cake with a thin layer of vanilla icing. It's a little heavy for summer but makes a great winter dessert, particularly if you make two layers. Spread a thin layer of the icing atop the bottom layer and then top with raspberries. Place the top layer over it, slowly pour icing into the center so that it drips down the sides, and top with more berries. Yum.
    I LOVE this cake....I've made it at least two or three times since she posted the recipe, which is saying something because I'm always on the lookout for something new to make, haha. Both times I've just had it plain, with a bit of powdered sugar on top. So good.

I bake more or less constantly...I can barely workout enough to stay ahead of it.

I bought Joy the Baker's new cookbook earlier this year and so far I've loved everything I've made from it. A few weeks ago I made her chocolate/red velvet marble cake with chocolate buttercream (the best recipe...Ovaltine is the "secret" ingredient) for my Dad's birthday and everyone loved it, even the non-cake liking folks.

My previous cleaning lady used to bake a sugar free chocolate cake every Thursday and leave it on the counter for me. I had her recipe which just called it "Daddy's Cake" because her father was diabetic and this was his favorite recipe. I remember that it used apple sauce, but I've forgotte what else now and I lost the recipe somehow. Anyone have any ideas on the recipe? It was the best, most moist, chocolate cake ever, and I'm a vanilla kind of girl..lol.

Any dessert that combines chocolate and orange is high on my list to try.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I'm off to check out Smitten kitchen meant to do that the other day but forgot... These sound delish and can't wait to try some.... Now I just need to find more people to give them to!