The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Baking people, favorite cakes?

I've been on a total baking spree lately (I LOVE to bake) and am looking for some new cake recipes...... I made a stellar new lemon cake the other day and am ready to try more "new recipes" and have a few I want to try from googling, but want tried and true.

I just need to find people to take it so we don't eat my creations!!

Anything from Smitten Kitchen.

ANYTHING. All delicious. Mmmmmmmmm....

Although I'm lazy and usually just settle for 2min chocolate microwave cakes....and I found a microwave coffee cake the other day that was divine..

My family, especially my son loves hot water sponge cake. No fat so we have it with fresh fruit and whipped cream. I also make red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, the cake is made with canola oil, but the frosting is butter and cream cheese.

My go-to cake is a wacky cake-- chocolate, made without eggs. It's super-easy and virtually fail-proof (provided you don't mix the hell out of it before it goes into the pan)...

I love Southern Livings Hummingbird Cake.

I like the Magnolia Bakery recipe for white cake with buttercream icing. Use heavy cream or half and half instead of the milk in the icing for divine results: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/s...ipe/index.html

My favorite "cake" is the Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum.

oh my. is all I can say. If you love chocolate this is the thing to make.

Mm I love the hummingbird cake as well. If you're in the south you better know how to make it!

I don't really care for cake, but I LOVE this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fabulou...ke/detail.aspx

My changes: 6 squares of chocolate, did NOT do the caramel glaze/frosting/whatever because I don't really like caramel. Instead, I made this amazing frosting: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cream-c...-2/detail.aspx You can add cocoa powder to it if you want chocolate frosting instead. Personally, I think the cream cheese frosting sets off the very chocolatey cake perfectly.

The cake is dense, moist and super neat/clean/easy to cut and serve. Sooooo good!!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-a-go-go View Post
    My go-to cake is a wacky cake-- chocolate, made without eggs. It's super-easy and virtually fail-proof (provided you don't mix the hell out of it before it goes into the pan)...
    Wacky cake was created during the Depression because of the egg and butter shortage!

We always put peanut butter icing on it.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Southern Living's carrot cake with the glaze and cream cheese icing is AMAZING.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

We have a local recipe called mahogany cake that is heavenly. The icing has broken, toasted pecans, coffee and a bit of orange juice and orange peel. The cake itself has cocoa instead of chocolate.
    Cake:
    1 cup butter
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups flour
    3 Tablespoons cocoa
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    4 eggs, separated

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add well beaten egg yolks and vanilla. Slow mixer to lowest speed; add sifted dry ingredients, in parts, alternately with the buttermilk. Beat egg whites well and fold them into the other mixture. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes in two well greased and floured cake pans (9 or 10 inch).

Icing:
    1 stick butter
    1 box confectioner's sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon instant coffee
    2 squares melted chocolate
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup chopped and toasted pecans, with more for outside decoration.
    2 tablespoons orange juice
    grated rind of one small orange
    cream

Place butter, sugar, egg and coffee in mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate, vanilla, nuts, orange juice and grated rind. Thin to spreading consistency with cream. Put the nuts on the top and sides of the cake after icing.

This is one of the very best cakes I've ever eaten. Light, moist, and the icing is worth the price of admission. It also keeps well and is better the second day.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Smitten Kitchen's carrot cake/cupcakes. Delicious, but I use a different icing because the one she uses is too sour for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Wacky cake was created during the Depression because of the egg and butter shortage!

We always put peanut butter icing on it.
    Me too! Love the peanut butter icing...

Of all the chocolate cakes I've made (and I do bake-- A LOT), this one comes out the very best. Amazing, since it's so simple...

Actually, another fabulous chocolate cake is a beet cake. Unbelievably moist, and you would NEVER know it has beets in it... I made this for a staff meeting at work once and offered $5 to the first person to guess the secret ingredient. I kept my $5.

Last St. Patrick's Day I made a chocolate stout cake (I used Guinness, but I think any stout beer will do) with Bailey's Irish Cream frosting that was DELICIOUS. It's become my go-to chocolate cake mix- the beer makes the cake so moist and not too sweet, and I don't even taste the beer once it's baked.

CAKE:
    1 bottle Guinness
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 cups all purpose flour
    2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    2/3 cup sour cream

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
    Bring Guinness and butter to a simmer in large saucepan over medium heat.
    Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
    Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in a large bowl.
    Add Guinness-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat until just combined.
    Add flour mixture and beat on slow speed.
    Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined.
    Divide batter among 2 8 inch round pans or cupcake liners, whichever your preference.
    Bake cake at 350 until tester inserted into center comes out clean, rotating them once front to back if your oven bakes unevenly, about 17-20 minutes.
    Cool on a rack completely before frosting.

FROSTING: Whichever you like (peanut butter, buttercream-mint, Bailey's and plain ol' buttercream have all been met with approval when I've paired them with this cake). I beat 1 stick butter in a mixer until light, adding a few tablespoons of milk or cream (if making the Bailey's frosting I substitute half the cream with Bailey's). Then I spoon in powdered sugar and whatever other flavoring I want and whip until light and fluffy (and delicious!).

You guys are awesome!!! Hummingbird cake is a go to cake in my household but cannot wait to try some of the others!!! Keep them coming!!

If I can't find them before the forum closes, pm me your email.

I'm willing to share our family recipes for orange cake, apple cake and black walnut cake.

My sister will never live down last Thanksgiving. I'm the family baker, but she insisted on doing the black walnut cake.

She didn't pay attention to what cannister she opened and used 10x sugar instead of flour.

Very expensive mistake considering the cost of black walnuts.

I'd love the recipes MyGiantPony my email is my name at gmail if you don't find them in time!!!

I always double check what I'm putting in recipes because I can totally see me doing something similar to your sis on the black walnut cake....

I actually prefer baking rum in cake to baking people ...
    RoanPonyMare

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Okay, very labor intensive, but so worth it. I developed this recipe years ago. When I was a broke single mom I made these for Christmas gifts.

You need at least 3 layers of yellow or white cake, trimmed so they are completely even.

Crack a coconut, reserve liquid. Peel and shred meat. Prepare your favorite custard recipe, or use a box of vanilla cook n serve pudding. While still warm, add in a cup of shredded coconut.

Put base layer down, brush the reserved coconut liquid across surface with a pastry brush until moist but not soaked. Spread a cup or so of custard across, add next layer, repeat steps with liquid and custard. Finish with a layer of cake, but no liquid or custard. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill to firm it up. Frost with home made whipped cream all over, and more shredded coconut.

THis cake is so moist and amazing
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"