The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Seeing Abprazole is effective for ulcers I would think Abgard would also be as effective as the blue pop rocks. I guess its just a matter of preference on how you want to treat your horse via paste or granules.

Gastrogard is just branded omeprazole, Abgard has the same content but generic.
    My Blog: http://csheelneigh.blogspot.com
    My Twitter: @ClareSheely

So since Abler is an Indian company they do not have to go through all the red tape with the FDA stuff, right? Would there be any advantage to them doing so after the patent expires on Gastrogard?

Frankly, I hope they do whatever they need to do to keep the costs down! Currently I am using Terramycin on my horse imported from Turkey. It is made by Pfizer but I am paying only $3 a tube for it compared to $18 a tube the American made stuff costs. Truly ridiculous!!

It is shipped from (and manufactured in) either India or Vanuatu. The FDA sort of doesn't pay attention to these small, personal imports of meds and although your shipment COULD get confiscated (one of mine actually did) they will just send you another one right away at no cost.

The FDA has bigger things to worry about. I don't personally lose sleep over it.
    Click here before you buy.

It is shipped from (and manufactured in) either India or Vanuatu. The FDA sort of doesn't pay attention to these small, personal imports of meds and although your shipment COULD get confiscated (one of mine actually did) they will just send you another one right away at no cost.

The FDA has bigger things to worry about. I don't personally lose sleep over it.

Once the patent expires I expect there will be some more options for lower-priced omeprazole, but I doubt it will happen immediately.
    Click here before you buy.

I've never tried GastroGard so I can't compare the two really, but I have had WONDERFUL results with using AbParazole (by the same company as AbGard) top dressed on my gelding's feed.

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post

It would be interesting to know if Abler plans to file with FDA- perhaps they are even already one of the generics lined up with their ANADA ready to go once the patent runs out. It would be even more highly interesting to know if the "COTH effect" is causing enough of a ripple in Merial's sales of UG/GG such that Merial would be motivated enough to try to get FDA to do something about the, ahem, private importations, in advance of the patent expiration.
    I doubt Abler would bother. It's pretty costly to jump through the hoops for a generic when you add in all the CMC they'd have to do... They'd have to charge a lot more to cover that expense.... Then they'd have to be manufactured in an FDA approved site. I'd guess they stick the the off-shore knock-off model..... (can't call it a generic version as it has never been tested for BE, so it's not generic Gastroguard, it's just a knock off...)
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Outfxed View Post
    Basically what the title says. Is the Abgard, much cheaper, the same as the Gastro/Ulcergard in treating ulcers, then switch to Abprazole for maintenance?
    I have a brand new box of the Abprazole. My mare will not eat it...

If anyone is interested in it, please PM me.

I haven't used Abgard, but I got compounded omeprazole paste from my vet at a similar price ($270 for a 30 day supply) and am very happy with the results. I don't think producing an omeprazole paste that works on equines is quite as hard as Merial would like us to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    I have a brand new box of the Abprazole. My mare will not eat it...

If anyone is interested in it, please PM me.
    Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I haven't used Abgard, but I got compounded omeprazole paste from my vet at a similar price ($270 for a 30 day supply) and am very happy with the results. I don't think producing an omeprazole paste that works on equines is quite as hard as Merial would like us to think.
    I'm confused...I thought they couldn't do this??

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee1 View Post
    They can. But if you ask me, the compounded omeprazole is useless. The point of the enteric coating granules and the buffered paste like GastroGard is to get the active drug, omeprazole, safely through the stomach, and into the hind gut to do its job. Otherwise, it's useless.

Technically, once you get the PPIs slowed down by using GastroGard for a few days, you could probably get away with unbuffered omeprazole because there is no to very little acid in the stomach to "kill" it and the omeprazole would continue to work as an acid pump inhibitor, thereby not needing a buffer or coating anymore.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Obviously, they can do it. Whether it circumvents FDA regulations is a different question. I'm an attorney and very risk-adverse, but I respect my trainers who recommended it (and use it on their own horses), and trust my vet who recommended it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    They can. But if you ask me, the compounded omeprazole is useless.
    You are assuming that what I'm using is unbuffered and that only Merial can figure out a way to get it through the stomach. The first is untrue, and the second is debatable. I don't think my trainers and vets are stupid, and neither am I Fwiw, I didn't think my horse had ulcers and did this only to humor my trainers, so I wasn't expecting to see a difference, but trainers and I have all seen a significant difference.

Yes, I meant unbuffered. Probably should've put that in there!

I'm interested to know if the Abler paste would work as well as the granules, my boy is a horrible food dribbler (has seen equine dentist and chiropractor, checks out fine) and I'm afraid of wasting the granules. I wonder if it would be okay to syringe the granules in with something like applesauce? I know they aren't supposed to get wet, but it would be a very short exposure.
    Quarry Rat

Does anyone know what the non-omeprazole ingredient in Abgard is? For all we know, it's the same as in the compounded stuff and the same as in the Canadian stuff, and wouldn't it be a hoot if it's also the same as the "secret" ingredient in Gastrogard?

I don't recall if I previous posted the FDA FOIA summary on Gastrogard. It says nothing about the "buffering" ingredient. What the FDA approved was the use of omeprazole in equines -

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalV.../ucm117173.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I'm interested to know if the Abler paste would work as well as the granules, my boy is a horrible food dribbler (has seen equine dentist and chiropractor, checks out fine) and I'm afraid of wasting the granules. I wonder if it would be okay to syringe the granules in with something like applesauce? I know they aren't supposed to get wet, but it would be a very short exposure.
    The package insert that came with mine said that if you had to feed them in a mash (which I'm assuming includes water) that was fine if the horse consumed them within 15 minutes.

Therefore, I think it would be fine to syringe them in applesauce if you do it immediately after introducing the granules to the sauce.

I'll let ya know how that works out then. I think I'm going to try grabbing some papaya pills from the pharmacy to try too while I wait for the pop rocks.
    Quarry Rat

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

They actually can't. Compounding omeprazole paste IS illegal, because there is already a commercially-available, FDA-approved product.

It is rather ironic to me that Adequan is sponsoring that article on compounded drugs (I commented on ti in the other thread) when the compounded competitor to their product IS legal.

A few months ago I called up a few compounding pharmacies and tried to order compounded omeprazole. Some would sell it, some wouldn't. This helped me make the choice as to which company I was going to order pentosan from.

And for a little more perspective on doing due diligence on compounding pharmacies, I also called a few bulk drug manufacturers to try to order bulk omeprazole. A bit scary how easy it would be for me to do so. Maybe I should set up hey101's Garage Compounding Pharmacy for Equine Ulcer Medication? Joking aside, I think this example DOES speak to the risk one CAN take by using compounded drugs...

BTW, IIRC, the buffering agent in the Merial paste products is potassium sorbate.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Outfixed, Consider getting your horse tested for Lyme. Lyme is not huge in your area but it is there. If you do test, only do the multiplex test from Cornell. You vet can pull blood and send it out. That is the only true test.
    This is what I would do with what you described in your horse. The test will run about $150. Good luck!