The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I %$()% HATE this Cat.

I'm not a cat person by any stretch of the imagination but this one kinda chose me and I've tried my best to give him a soft spot to land. I do have my hairless cat and I adore her. She's more like a dog than a cat and we get on well. But the DSH is another story.

I was away for the holiday weekend and the cats were set up with their gravity feeder, automatic waterer and self cleaning litter box. I seriously didn't think there would be a problem with this arrangement for 2 days. And there shouldn't have been.

Well, there was. In my absence, the stupid male cat has taken back to pissing on my couch. I walked in and was immediately hit with that wall of ammonia smell. SON OF A...! This isn't the first time he's done this and he's been completely vet checked and there is nothing physically wrong with him. His big problem is if he has any kind of change in his routine, he lets you know his displeasure by peeing EVERYWHERE! I am at my wits end. What do I do about this horrible smell (which I've already doused with vinegar and water) and what the heck do I do about this cat. I really can't deal with this anymore!
    Last edited by Snowflake; Sep. 3, 2012 at 04:05 PM.

Give him to someone who IS a cat person? Is he neutered?

He is neutered and declawed - so I can't even take him to the barn. (Not that I'd want him pissing on boarder's saddle pads.)

I'm not quite sure, because I'm not a cat owner (by choice), but good luck to you... these cat threads seem to quickly turn into OP lynch mobs. I hope you get helpful, constructive advice!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Some cats get upset with a change in their routine. My old Siamese chewed holes in my sweater and blankets if I left her for 2 nights. Sounds like he needs a cat lover home or a stay in a cat boarding facility if you're going out of town.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Had a cat once that didn't like my going out of town and would pee on the bed. He made sure to pick a spot where he got the pillows also. After a vet check, I just closed the bedroom door.

A while later he peed on the roommate's bed (and he adored her and would abandon me when she was in town). She had a fit, don't know what happened but he kept his distance from her forever after and cleaned the bed with ammonia--sigh! This time I hauled him to the vet and he did have
    a problem.

What about picking up a kitty condo and popping him in one while you are gone? These can be had on Craigslist as well as found at Petsmart and Petco. Roomy and several levels. A very large dog crate also works well and you can add ferret type hammocks to add some levels.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

While I'm not a cat person, I am an animal lover. I did try the condo thing once and he became completely neurotic - as in throwing himself against the sides of the cage. It wasn't pretty and I couldn't leave him like that. I did rehome him once, but I saw him listed on craigslist a few months later and I took him back in. He was doing the same at that home as far as peeing where he shouldn't. I got one of the feliway diffusers for him and it helped and we haven't had much of a problem unless I make an attempt to try a different litter, move his box, change the shower curtain, wear a different deoderant (you get my drift.) This cat also cannot do car rides. He gets freaked out to the point of having projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea. Vet appointments are done by a mobile vet because he simply cannot travel. I think he would not fare well in a boarding situation. This was my first few nights away trip. I've done one night here or there, but this was the longest yet.

I would LOVE to find him a little old lady to live with. I think that would be the perfect situation for him.

Prozac (for the cat) can help. This sounds like stress induced FLUTD. Also, the dry food isn't helping.

Can you find him a cat person?

If not, can you get a cat-sitter the next time you go out town? I have cat-sat before, one reason being that the cat I sat with would do the same thing as your guy if her people left her alone for more than a night or two. They would have hired a sitter for this particular trip anyway, as they were away so long, but even more than 2-3 nights alone in the house and kitteh let them know of her displeasure and distress with the situation.

He is telling you what you told us you already know--you are not a cat person, you love your other cat more than him, you tried to rehome him, he is a high-strung little guy. He can't help it.

I am not blaming you. Trying to keep a dog would drive me up the wall.

Inappropriate urination is the number one biggest reason cats lose their homes.

I am so sorry you have having to deal with this. You are trying. But it isn't working.

If I had my house back I would ask you where you are and I would offer to take him. But. I took in a neutered male kitty several years ago and only later found out that the reason I was his third home was that he would not use his litterbox. He had been purchased as a weanling by two people who had 3 other cats and were not cat people. When he did not use his litterbox they gave him to a friend who wanted him for his looks (big handsome Persian). He did not do well in that home either. Finally he ended up with and I had to make him an indoor-outdoor kitty with limited indoor time and litterbox and bed in the garage and unlimited outdoor access before dark. He finally died of old age and I don't think he ever had a really happy life except for the time when he got to go outdoors a lot. He so needed to be loved, but he also so needed to use his litterbox!

I hope you can find a home for him where he can have access to a screened porch or something where he can be "out" without his claws.

I think you are terrific for trying with this guy. All I can advise is just be very patient, love him despite everything, and he MAY come round. Or he may not. And if he does it may take a long time and be ongoing.

P.S. How would you handle this if he were a horse? Something to think about.
    Rack on!

In the meantime, cleaning with Simple Solution (or a comparable enzyme odor eliminator, found in the pet supply store) is the best thing to get rid of the odor.

Feliway Try it, its not expensive. Put it in the room where he pees and ideally, he shouldnt go there again. Its worked great for my cat.

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    In the meantime, cleaning with Simple Solution (or a comparable enzyme odor eliminator, found in the pet supply store) is the best thing to get rid of the odor.
    That, you need to clean with something that neutralizes the smell.
    There are several of those for sale in any pet store, like Nature's Miracle.

I do think that the cat may need a new home, if you can't live with his quirks.
    Many humans can't live with a cat that will eliminate all over and no one can blame them.

How long ago did you last have him checked for a UTI/stones? They can come on in a matter of days.

Cat behavior is odd. Has he only done this when you've left him? It could be stress induced. One of my cats used to have a lot of issues and was diagnosed wih idiopathic cystis that was brought on by stress, which then led to a lot of bladder infections, which caused him going outside the litter box. Vet said pretty much any stressful event could be the trigger (including just seeing another cat through the window). So I did a round of Prozac on him and it really did help. I also switched all of mine to a wet food only diet. Figured didn't hurt anything to keep their bladders more flushed out.

Also, you don't mention how he is with the other cat. Is he low man on the totem pole? I'm also assuming you only have the one box. If you've had elimination issues in the past adding another box may help since there can be territorial issues with just one.

Cat's don't mark out of anger - it is STRESS

One explanation offered is that kitty is trying to help his missing colonymate find his way back home by loudly marking the way - unfortunately humans hate this sort of assistance

Have you tried clicker training or treat training - just as with dogs, this builds confidence: there are some pretty amazing cat agility videos.

Urine Off & Anti Icky Poo are among the top rated cleaners, Nature's M is rated OK for dogs, not very effective for cats.

Your best choice may be to create a cat room that you 1st train kitty to love & feel safe in, then use this regularly so that when you are away & actually need to lock him in, he'll be a happy kitty.

Mobile vet should still be able to diagnose urinary tract issues in kitty - certainly should be able to sedate kitty for any journeys to a cat clinic (if you have no Feline Practioner in your area, you might check all the vets for someone that at least is very cat interested/knowlegeable).

You might ask local vets to assist you with placing this kitty in a more appropriate home.

How do you know it wasn't your other cat?

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Cat's don't mark out of anger - it is STRESS

One explanation offered is that kitty is trying to help his missing colonymate find his way back home by loudly marking the way - unfortunately humans hate this sort of assistance

Have you tried clicker training or treat training - just as with dogs, this builds confidence: there are some pretty amazing cat agility videos.

Urine Off & Anti Icky Poo are among the top rated cleaners, Nature's M is rated OK for dogs, not very effective for cats.

Your best choice may be to create a cat room that you 1st train kitty to love & feel safe in, then use this regularly so that when you are away & actually need to lock him in, he'll be a happy kitty.

Mobile vet should still be able to diagnose urinary tract issues in kitty - certainly should be able to sedate kitty for any journeys to a cat clinic (if you have no Feline Practioner in your area, you might check all the vets for someone that at least is very cat interested/knowlegeable).

You might ask local vets to assist you with placing this kitty in a more appropriate home.
    That is good information.

Our three cats never marked, our last cat never did, our housecats just didn't, generally.

Our cat took morning naps in the guest bedroom bed pillows, where we put a blanket down when we noticed that.
    Now we had some friends come visit with their dogs.
    You can see where this is going.
    The cat was kept from going into that room for two days.
    We cleaned all very well when they left.
    The cat blanket went back on that bed.

A few days later, we noticed the cat had started marking on that bed.
    We cleaned it all well and kept that door closed from then on, problem solved.
    Not all such problems are so easy to fix.

You have enough information now to see what you have already tried, what you may want to try now.
    Maybe rehoming is what you need to do, if you can't manage your cat.
    That is a very common reason cats lose homes.
    Our lives are complicated enough, adding problem cats is something not everyone can handle.

I feel your pain. Lots of good suggestions here. I have a very elderly Persian that I got at the pound when she was about a year and a half old. When I got her I HAD to travel for my job - and every. single. time. I left for an overnight trip she'd poop on the bed. I dealt with it by putting a sheet on the bed and paying my cat sitter a couple of bucks per poop to clean it up. When she finally figured out that I would always come back she stopped.

Now she poops on the living room rug and in the bathroom. She's old, so I deal with it. Inappropriate peeing is another story. I do think it is either a medical issue or stress with your kitty. But I have a friend who had the same problem you do with her cat. She gave him away to an old lady who absolutely adored him and I don't think the lady ever had a problem with him.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Ok. Here's the scoop on this particular cat. I got sick about 4 years ago and moved from the farm into an apartment because I needed a less demanding lifestyle. I boarded my horses and brought a bunny to the apartment for a companion. For the first two weeks I was there, every night, something would pee and poop in the bathtub. The apartment had attic access and I thought there was a raccoon or something up there. I called the landlord and he was less than helpful and finally I went to TSC and bought a humane trap.

It wasn't a raccoon at all. I trapped this cat. I called the landlord and asked if the previous tenants had a cat because I think they forgot him. He said they did, but that they owed him over $1000 so no forwarding address. Great. What happened was that in the stress of their move, he found that he could pry open the plumbing access panel enough to squeeze in and he lived in the wall behind the tub. I'm sure the previous tenants thought he darted out the door and took off.

I kept him for a few months with no problems but because I had an impending surgery, I rehomed him with an EMT that I worked with at the hospital. She worked a weird schedule and divided her time between two regional trauma centers. Because one of the hospitals was an hour and a half away, she would spend 2-3 days there. She had another cat at home and really wanted a companion for him. I thought it was the perfect situation of a quiet home with a companion.

I was out on medical leave post surgery and saw that she posted him on Craigslist. In an effort to save him undo stress, I called her and offered to take him back because I didn't want him to fall into a bad spot. So, he's been with me ever since - which is about 3 years now. The first few months I had him I was so sick that my life was getting up to suffer through work and come home to sleep. I didn't do anything else. So, he had no reason to be stressed. My life was very predictable. But now that I'm better, my life is getting back to my crazy normal pace which no longer works for him. Plus, I'm at that age where I'd like to start a family so big changes will be in my future. I just feel like my changing circumstances are only going to cause this cat more stress.

"The Wall Cat" is very much low man on the totem pole. The other cat is the boss and he knows it. Also, the hairless cat has NEVER had one instance of inappropriate peeing anywhere in the house. She's as neat as a pin, so I'm sure it wasn't her. I've tried the feliway in the past and it worked for a short time. This is brought on by any change in the routine - weekend trips where I'm not home, changing kitty litter, changing cat food, moving furniture, etc.

I invested in a self cleaning litter box because I thought this guy just had issues with a less than pristine box, and that wasn't it. I did leave an extra box out while I was gone this time and he didn't touch it. His last UA and physical were in July. There was nothing remarkable there. He has had one every year that I've had him. His bloodwork was fine and we even popped the ultrasound out and there was no evidence of any calculi. The vet has estimated him to be between 8-10 years old.

I *think* I've managed to get the stink out of my couch by sprinkling it with baking soda and spraying with both vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and working it in. I really soaked it so now I'm waiting for it to dry so I can vacuum up the baking soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackonteur View Post
    P.S. How would you handle this if he were a horse? Something to think about.
    Well, if a horse were peeing on my couch, I think I would have bigger problems than just stinky, gross furniture.

I have a cat that is an anxiety pee-er.

When there is any kind of chaos in the house (moving; a trip with lots of packing and noise; once a prolonged argument), she will pee someplace she shouldn't, like a pile of clean towels on the sofa, or a bed.

To manage this, I have tried to reduce disruptions in her life; I give her 5 mg prozac each day; she wears a feliway collar; and we shut her out of most bedrooms except for mine. If I am away, I board her, because my family isn't competent to pill an elusive and wiggly cat. I have an excellent facility for this. If we all go away, I get a sitter who comes to the house, since that's less disruption, and when we go, we put covers on certain furniture items.

Boxes are numerous and carefully kept clean.

It can be very very hard to manage, and you won't always figure it out.

I would also note that declawed cats can be ok at a barn if there are plenty of places they can go to get away from trouble. It's not perfect, but it can be ok. But a longtime indoor cat may not do well with or without claws outside.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09