The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Let me add to the already excellent list Sweet Land, which is one of my favorite movies. I also saw a great film yesterday called The Intouchables. I will admit that I wasn't super excited to see it based on the description, but it's very funny and poignant without being sappy.<---My mother was right about that one *sigh*

Out of the ones mentioned my favorites are Muriel's Wedding, the Swedish version of Let the Right One In, and Cinema Paradiso.

ETA I don't know if it qualifies as little or not, but add Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Think I've mentioned these 2 German films before on OTD, but my favorites of the last 5 years or so are "The Lives of Others" (about the Staasi surveillance of artists in East Germany and the heartbreaking consequences) and "The Baader Meinhoff Project" about the rise of the leftist terror group in the 1970s in Europe.

"District 9" is one of the best damn films of the last few years, period. Unbelievably good, and one doesn't have to be a sci-fi fan to appreciate how brilliant it is (but you do need a strong stomach as there's a bit of splatter).

TCM re-ran one of my favorite "little" films of all time the other week, which is Barry Levinson's ode to 1950s Baltimore "Diner."

It's still hilarious and sweet and what a cast: young Mickey Rourke, Ellen Barkin, Steve Guttenberg, Tim Daly, and of course - Kevin Bacon.

Elise's (never seen on camera) trials of having to pass the Baltimore Colts quiz in advance of marrying Eddie (Guttenberg) is still priceless.

One of my favorites is The Lover. Made in 1992, set in 1929 Indochina and is about the relationship between a young French girl and a Chinese man.

Very good movie but the sex scenes are rather explicit, so if you have a low tolerance for that sort of thing maybe it's best to avoid it.

I also enjoyed The Station Agent. Rather quirky indie film, but I like those.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Two thumbs up and a ditto for "Keeping Mum"...May I also suggest

-- "Cold Comfort Farm" --a true GEM of a movie to watch over and over

"Saving Grace" another British gem

"Amelie" (probably another mentioned it and sorry for being redundant but it's wonderful)

"Kinky Boots" and "Calendar Girls" and "Mrs. Hendersons Review"...are all true stories and just so so clever and heartwarming.

Guess you can say I'm a fan of British films.

The Australian film "Breaker Morant" is just terrific. Sad and also true.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    Loved Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, hated Waking Ned Devine..go figure.
    The Gods Must Be Crazy is one of my all time favorites!
    I also very much enjoyed The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
    I adored Ned, and love The Gods. Haven't seen Salmon Fishing or Marigold, but they're on my list now
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

This has been a fun thread so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMD View Post
    Two thumbs up and a ditto for "Keeping Mum"...May I also suggest

"Kinky Boots" and "Calendar Girls" and "Mrs. Hendersons Review"...are all true stories and just so so clever and heartwarming.

Guess you can say I'm a fan of British films.

The Australian film "Breaker Morant" is just terrific. Sad and also true.
    Loved Kinky Boots and Calendar Girls, but haven't seen 'Mrs Henderson's Review'- thank you for the suggestion.

Another great little British film is called 'Brassed Off'.. about a coal mine Collier brass band that continues after the mine is closed to go to a national competition.
    Somewhat similar in theme to 'The Full Monty'- one of my other all-time favourites.

Loved Breaker Morant - the ending, when they hold hands...."I've seen the world.."
    Based on a book called 'Scapegoats of the Empire'.

Another great Australian film is Galipoli, starring the astonishingly handsome young Mel Gibson.
    Last edited by Fred; Sep. 3, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I could not watch Gallipoli through to the end. The Brits seemed to have had a habit of sending troops from the colonies into battle situations that were practically suicidal. The Canadians at Dieppe, for example. The Anzacs at Gallipoli. There are other instances.

It took a very long time for Winston Churchill to live down Gallipoli.

I too liked The Full Monty and Brassed Off; in fact I very much liked many of the movies that have been recommended.

One actor to look for is Tom Conti; he did some lovely small movies.

Anything by Bill Forsythe of Local Hero is probably going to be good. I loved Gregory's Girl and Comfort and Joy
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Miss T View Post
    An old and almost never seen one - my favorite comedy of all time: The Magic Christian. British, stars Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr (really!). The premise is to prove that people will do anything for money. Very, very funny but I don't know WHERE you would find it. I would love to see that again.
    I'm really old, so I saw it in the theatre when it came out.
    Loved the theme music,'Something in the Air' by Thunderclap Newman. I just heard that on the radio again recently.

Another favourite is Chocolat - Johnny Depp,chocolate, and female empowerment...what more can you say?

Adored white mane (totally tragic ending!!)
    and The Red Balloon (I think by the same guy?)

Gallipolli just too hard to watch, but the waste of WWI is a whole 'nother topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss T View Post
    An old and almost never seen one - my favorite comedy of all time: The Magic Christian. British, stars Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr (really!). The premise is to prove that people will do anything for money. Very, very funny but I don't know WHERE you would find it. I would love to see that again.
    Netflix has it
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have wonderful memories of going to the late great D.C. repertory movie house, the Circle Theater, and watching a double feature of "Gallipoli" and "Breaker Morant."

Sadly, Edward Woodward passed away in the last year.

Terrific films. The Mel Gibson tabloid alcoholic madness of the last few years sadly makes one forget that he made some really amazing pictures back in the day before he became Mr. Action Hero/Passion of Christ, from "Gallipoli" to "Mad Max"/"The Road Warrior" (forget the awful 3rd one in the series, it sucked) and "The Year of Living Dangerously."

All those films still hold up!

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I could not watch Gallipoli through to the end. The Brits seemed to have had a habit of sending troops from the colonies into battle situations that were practically suicidal. The Canadians at Dieppe, for example. The Anzacs at Gallipoli. There are other instances.

It took a very long time for Winston Churchill to live down Gallipoli.
    I think Churchill is one of those larger than life, truly great, brilliant men - who with his huge sense of destiny and entitlement also did some atrocious things.
    Speaking of the coal mines. and firing on miners' strikes, Blair Mountain...as much as I admire Churchill for I believe galvanizing and helping save Britain during WWll - I can not ever get over him ordering the troops to fire on striking miners...
    I don't know if anyone has made a film about that.

Galipoli ended pretty much as you might expect.

and yes, the Brits did send we colonials in as cannon fodder

Quote Originally Posted by Druid Acres View Post
    I love small movies! Some of my faves:

• Local Hero
    • Hope and Glory
    • Kolya
    • Muriel's Wedding
    • Keeping Mum

I like Eric Rohmer too. Lots of good small movies come out of Europe and the UK.
    LOVE Local Hero!

Ditto Chocolat..nice nice movie. Speaking of Chocolat, Like Water for Chocolate was another fine smaller movie...Tortilla Soup is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy Gray VA View Post
    I have wonderful memories of going to the late great D.C. repertory movie house, the Circle Theater, and watching a double feature of "Gallipoli" and "Breaker Morant."

Sadly, Edward Woodward passed away in the last year.

Terrific films. The Mel Gibson tabloid alcoholic madness of the last few years sadly makes one forget that he made some really amazing pictures back in the day before he became Mr. Action Hero/Passion of Christ, from "Gallipoli" to "Mad Max"/"The Road Warrior" (forget the awful 3rd one in the series, it sucked) and "The Year of Living Dangerously."

All those films still hold up!
    I agree Flashy Gray,about those movies holding up, and Mel Gibson.

I also saw a double bill of Gallipoli and Breaker Morant.
    Edward Woodward was wonderful, I didn't realize that he had passed away.
    Now, movie buffs, the young handsome blonde actor in Gallipoli, was that the same young handsome brumby rider who was the Man From Snowy River?
    (loved that one too).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Re Winston and Tonypandy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonypandy_Riots
    Or this from the BBC:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11655470

There are no records of any firing or of any miners being killed or wounded by gunfire.

Most of the violence was between police and rioters, and he did send in a detachment of London bobbies armed with truncheons and Batons. Troops were only sent in very reluctantly.

It's one of those incidents that is mostly myth and propaganda.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Sep. 3, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I didn't read the whole thread, so don't know if this one was mentioned, but I loved "The Visitor" (2007) about a college professor that travels to NYC for a conference and discovers a young couple squatting in his apartment there and he befriends them. Really well done.
    "Ponies are a socially acceptable form of child abuse." - said by a friend when asked if she was going to find a pony for her 5 year old daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I agree Flashy Gray,about those movies holding up, and Mel Gibson.

I also saw a double bill of Gallipoli and Breaker Morant.
    Edward Woodward was wonderful, I didn't realize that he had passed away.
    Now, movie buffs, the young handsome blonde actor in Gallipoli, was that the same young handsome brumby rider who was the Man From Snowy River?
    (loved that one too).
    I really liked Mel in "The Beaver" about a man trying to deal with his personal demons. Seemed like it might hit a bit close to home for Mel, but was well done.
    "Ponies are a socially acceptable form of child abuse." - said by a friend when asked if she was going to find a pony for her 5 year old daughter.

Thank you for the correction viney. Nonetheless, he did authorize sending in troops in his then position of Home Secretary.
    Coal miners facing armed police backed up by mounted troops really didn't stand much of a chance did they?.

(edited to add, my grandmother grew up in Glamorgan).