The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default more Craig's List wonders

I usually just see them & shake my head, b/c what is the point of posting here just to bash, but seriously, does anyone have any idea what is going on in these pix?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...221062968.html

There are a other horses listed for sale with same guy standing on poor animal that has plastic bags & ropes tied all over (example: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/grd/3221064977.html)

But what is with the barrel (is this "teaching him to drive"? )??

homemade bridle or wrestling mask?

well, a barrel or a log, yep, I can see that used to teaching a horse to pull.

Not too crazy bout the stuff on the horse, but sacking a horse out can have it's advantages.

The guys seems to know what he is doing, the horses look fine and bight eyed to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Guess everything he owns is 16hh?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Guess everything he owns is 16hh?
    oh well....small potatoes...
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, a barrel or a log, yep, I can see that used to teaching a horse to pull.
    with someone sitting on it???

I don't think anyone who stands on a horse to show he is a mighty horse tamer knows what he is doing.

and sacking out does have its advantages, but not while simultaneously standing on horses back & teaching it to ground tie, or while pulling a kid on a barrel attached to your saddle horn.

Yes, I know you can pull stuff with your saddle horn, but this is just ridiculous.

Adding: Granted, they do look healthy, which is more than we can say for some CL ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    with someone sitting on it???

I don't think anyone who stands on a horse to show he is a mighty horse tamer knows what he is doing.

and sacking out does have its advantages, but not while simultaneously standing on horses back & teaching it to ground tie, or while pulling a kid on a barrel attached to your saddle horn.

Yes, I know you can pull stuff with your saddle horn, but this is just ridiculous.

Adding: Granted, they do look healthy, which is more than we can say for some CL ads.
    well, I will let Celle know that standing on a horse is just a gimmick (yep, they at least used to do that to the stallions during the test. Kinda funny looking, a guy in tall boots, white breeches and uniform standing on a horse. )

All things considered, the guy is tops. The horses are trained and desensitized. Along with looking good, that gives them a leg up to finding a good home.

So 2 thumbs up, even though he does not do it in a way I would ever dream up.
    (and I would sit on the barrel, too: a horse with a good walk is MUCH faster than a human, unless he/she runs)

(but I would ask him what all the stuff is he has on the horse's head...)
    GNU Terry Prachett

It looks crazy, but back when I was just looking for a trail horse I might have called someone like him. The horses are well fed, bright eyed, and obviously can take a joke.

I would sit on the barrel too. If I was teaching the horse to drive I think I might get an actual harness, but I suppose there is a benefit to having a horse drag something tied to the saddle (perhaps for hauling elk out of the forest? I don't know...) When my daughter taught her pony to drive, she started with a large piece of plywood (and an actual harness) and she ground drove her with that, then - on instruction from a trainer -started standing on the board. We called it "pony surfing". It was very easy to step off the back if she felt off balance. Only did that a couple days before moving to the cart.
    I assume all the bags and ropes are to desensitize the horse. Pictures are to show that he's been doing that. I do laugh every time I see someone standing on their horse, but if I stretch my imagination I suppose that would come in handy if you need to go out and trim trees but I usually stop at head-height.

I'd take them both

As for WHY someone would stand on a horse? There was a picture posted of a lady that was standing on a horse to hang up laundry which is very useful, or when I was 10 and riding a 10H pony I needed the skill to stand on the pony and hang up the flag on camping trips

as for the head gear.. I would have to go back and look but I would guess rope halter under a bridle or possibly a myler (sp?) type combination bit, they tend to look a bit like contraptions to me... maybe rope halter under bridle with a myler bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Stushica View Post

well, when you hang your clothes in the pasture....
    GNU Terry Prachett

I'd take either one of those horses!! They both look good and settled. I don't know what is on the Pally's head, but, hey... Have good weight and especially the Appy, look like they'd love to own a human of their own.

Och, whatev...
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Isn't all that just to demonstrate they are bomb proof?

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I'd take either one of those horses!! They both look good and settled. I don't know what is on the Pally's head, but, hey... Have good weight and especially the Appy, look like they'd love to own a human of their own.

Och, whatev...
    I wouldn't say "good and settled" about the palomino as far as being tied up. Tie ring AND hobbles indicates a problem to me. All that junk hanging all over them just looks kind of nutty to me.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

hmm smells of parelli to me.

I don't do parelli ever, and would NEVER buy a parellized horse. I can do that to my horses with no prep for the dog and pony show photo .

Just because they have a picture of the horse doing the things they show, does NOT make it bomb proof or willing to do other things.

Friend over trained her horse the Clinton way. Horse has issues with hocks now as a 6 yr old. Tarp trained to the max. However, the second we go by a tarp on the ground at somebody's house, and a tarp tent, her horse went nuts.

My horse otoh was trained a little bit with a tarp, (here is a tarp play with it if you want, and she did, I put it on her and she was fine with that) didn't bat an eye at the tarps.

Hmmm.

cute dog and pony shots though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I wouldn't say "good and settled" about the palomino as far as being tied up. Tie ring AND hobbles indicates a problem to me. All that junk hanging all over them just looks kind of nutty to me.

He might be training him to accept hobbles...last I heard you can't just slap them on and expect all to go well.
    GNU Terry Prachett

The palomino has an overcheck driving bridle on (an open bridle with no blinkers such as you see at the harness track) and a rope halter on underneath.

That there is also a running martingale on the horse in that pictures sends up flags to me. Why the need to check the horse's head up but also have the ability to hold it down. Does the horse have a bucking/rearing problem?

This ad in our Craiglist today, the names xxxxxxx to protect those without spellcheck:

Now, anyone know what are "whinge-lings"?

I wish her luck, there may yet be someone that can help her:

---"Experienced Equestrian looking for work (xxxxxxxx)

Hello my name is xxxxxxxx, I am a xxyears old student and looking for work. I am a transfer student from xxxxx going to xxxxx to finish my bachelors in Equine Business and Minor in Animal SCI. I already have my 2 year associates in Equine Technology and many years of horse experience under me. I have rode English my whole life but have done Reining and Western Pleasure for the last two years along with English. I have broke several whinge-lings, colts, and green horses. I am not afraid to get dirty and work long hours, I just need back in the saddle. Its been three weeks since I moved here and I have not been able to ride since I moved. I have also taught beginner thru advanced English lessons for the last two years and do have references of that along with my riding ability and history. Please contact me through email or my cell if for more information. Cell is xxxxxxxxxx"---

The app's is age somewhere between 10 and 50. I know aging with teeth can be hard, but can't you get a better estimate than that?

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    The app's is age somewhere between 10 and 50. I know aging with teeth can be hard, but can't you get a better estimate than that?
    It read: Everybody in the family has ridden him (age range 10-50 years)

Translation: everyone from age 10 to 50 have ridden this horse. It isn't his age.