The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Lightbulb THREE MAJOR Reasons For "Late Term" Abortions:

FWIW... (IOW: for those that refuse to educate themselves on SCIENCE or biology (no; Jeebus did NOT ride dinosaurs, you idiots!!)

Not even about the more common reasons.

1. - Chronic/Terminal Malformation in utero:
    e.g. Anencephaly with NO Brain only stem: said fetus can NOT survive(Anencephaly) - it is HEARTBREAKING for the expectant parents to continue a pregnancy wherein the fetus WILL die shortly after birthing, not to mention more dangerous to carry a death-fetus to term, not to mention the psychological impact on the mother/family .

2. - Dead Fetus. (aka "stillborn", if allowed to wait until the uterus expels it.) See above.
    (I actually was around a guy (inmate/resident in a "pay-to-stay jail" where I worked) that went through this with his wife; NOT pleasant; very sad.

3. Placental Separation:
    Placental separation.
    Again: Death of fetus is either inevitable, or has already occurred.

Just an FYI, for those who are stilling "arguing" about WHY LTA *can* be recommended, if not actually necessary.
    Last edited by nasalberry; Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Spelling

Three logical reasons for why a doctor may recommend a LTA. Your condescending attitude however is unnecessary and childish. I don't recall anyone arguing *why* a LTA might be needed. The argument hinges on whether it is ethical and whether it should be legal. Since your post addresses neither I don't see the point of your post outside of trying to incite a reaction out of people with an opinion that is different than yours.

What is a "pay-to-stay jail" ??
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    What is a "pay-to-stay jail" ??
    A jail with minimum security. For non-violent offenders (DUIs, non-payment of fines or child support mostly) with jobs. Similar to home-arrest with electronic ankle monitor (but without ankle monitor,) the residents could go to their jobs, AA meetings and court-ordered schooling. Upon return, all had to blow into a breathalyzer and be wanded with a metal detector. They had to qualify to get there, and pay $10 a day (weekly) to be able to stay there. Many rules and if one was caught not following them, they lost their weekly visiting privileges. More than once, they'd be returned to real jail, no refunds.

I was a guard there and was also responsible for monitoring the women's dorm for smokers, dispensing medication, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Three logical reasons for why a doctor may recommend a LTA. Your condescending attitude however is unnecessary and childish. I don't recall anyone arguing *why* a LTA might be needed. The argument hinges on whether it is ethical and whether it should be legal. Since your post addresses neither I don't see the point of your post outside of trying to incite a reaction out of people with an opinion that is different than yours.
    I can't see how anyone could argue that forcing a woman to carry a dead or dying fetus is in any way ethical
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I can't see how anyone could argue that forcing a woman to carry a dead or dying fetus is in any way ethical
    I'm 10 weeks along. I would be pissed as all hell if I found myself in any of those cases and was unable to do what was medically recommended because some male politician thought it was "wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I'm 10 weeks along. I would be pissed as all hell if I found myself in any of those cases and was unable to do what was medically recommended because some male politician thought it was "wrong".
    I might add that IMHO forcing a woman to continue a pregnancy that stands a good chance of killing her is also not ethical
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

unable to do what was medically recommended because some male politician thought it was "wrong".
    yes; since when are politicians, lawyers, and clergymen qualified to practice medicine? pregnancy and everything related to pregnancy is a medical matter, period.

There are extremists on both sides. Insisting a woman carry a dead fetus is just as bad as politicians refusing to support legislation that prevents the infanticide of babies born alive from late abortion procedures. Both sides of this argument has crazies. No side of this argument has the monopoly on dumb.

The hypothetical before the Illinois State Senate that was mentioned in the other thread was based on a healthy fetus and healthy mother. That was a hypothetical.
    I would be suprised if any significant number of people have ever opposed the removal of a a dead or dying fetus.
    Most people would call these miscarriages, though I think "miscarriages" are technically "spontaneous abortions", I don't think that's an "abortion" as lay people use the term.