The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Video of my coming 4 popeye k baby! Please critique :-)

With all the drama I have going on I was happy to recieve this video of my Popeye k gelding :-) let me know what you think of him!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlGKzjV3-9k&feature=plcp

Thumbs down

nothing special sorry to say

but you love him that's all that's important!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

He's cute. Looks like he is coming along well.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Really? I thought he looked like a nice coming 4 yr old, about where he should be in his training. You mother told you if you can't say anything nice....

@Andrew - you are exceedingly rude!!!

OP, your youngster looks cute and like he is doing well with his training! He reminds me of my mare when she was a younger baby.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobieDoo View Post
    @Andrew - you are exceedingly rude!!!

OP, your youngster looks cute and like he is doing well with his training! He reminds me of my mare when she was a younger baby.
    Thank You :-) he was a very tough baby to start so I am really happy with his progress :-)

he's cute! the rider was a bit harsh with her hands at times for my taste, especially with a greenie, but he seems like he has a good mind and took it in stride.
    What made him so tough to start? Lot's of attitude or what?

Quote Originally Posted by JSjumper View Post
    he's cute! the rider was a bit harsh with her hands at times for my taste, especially with a greenie, but he seems like he has a good mind and took it in stride.
    He is a very athletic and hard headed young horse. He does have a bit of an attitude and is very proud of himself. Sort of acts like a stallion at times. When he wanted to be bad he is sooo athletic that it could be scary. Waaaaaayyyyy better now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JSjumper View Post
    Yeah, I didn't care for the seesawing, and getting him behind the vertical at times.
    But he's a cute horse.

He's obviously a young warmblood in that he's immature and a bit gangly but I love him. Continued good luck, I think he looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Yeah, I didn't care for the seesawing, and getting him behind the vertical at times.
    But he's a cute horse.
    He's cute. (rider should not see saw her hands and needs a helmet, but that is a different thread...)
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

So how old is he really. What year was he born?

This "coming" stuff is silly. Is he 3 who will be 4 Jan 1. or did he turn 4 Jan 1, but was born late summer?
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

He is adorable and looks like he is coming along well, didn't care for the distracted rider or her use of the bit,she seemed to balance herself with him leaning on the bit, putting him on his forehand.
    I do like him though!

Well, this is quite shocking!! You and I could pass for dead ringers as in identical twins. The resemblence is really quite remarkable so let me just say here and now without any further dely that you are really quite beautiful!! LOL!

On to your horse. I like him a lot. He is a nice, quiet, loose mover with a great tempo in trot and canter that shows him off nicely. He is however, behind your leg and maybe a little reminder with a stick one time would put that right. He also does not listen to inside leg very well so just sharpen his reaction up and VIOLA! he will be evenmore of a joy to ride. He reminds me very much of a horse from long ago called Mr. Tick only he was a big old TB itching for a fight. Hence the name.

Anyway, continue on with much success in his future pretty lady. LOL!

I think he is quite nice and looks like he'll be a big powerful horse. He is doing quite a lot for a late 3 yr old, more than I would have expected. Madeline, I though the Jan 1 thing was only significant for TBs? I thought with most other breeds you go with their real birthdate.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Are you always such an As£hat?

I agree he looks like a nice young boy! He seems to have a natural rhythm and balance, and those things are always helpful. He should be a fun one!

I quite like him! He does look like he's doing a lot for a 3 year old.

And the rider/trainer? is not my cup of tea. See-sawing and being too harsh on his mouth. It looks to me that it's starting to make him heavy on the forehand. Personally, I also didn't like the trot to halt and canter to halt transitions. I like to keep things more smooth than that, especially when they're young.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post

And the rider/trainer? is not my cup of tea. See-sawing and being too harsh on his mouth. It looks to me that it's starting to make him heavy on the forehand. Personally, I also didn't like the trot to halt and canter to halt transitions. I like to keep things more smooth than that, especially when they're young.
    This, and also, I'm quite surprised no one's mentioned it, but his saddle needs to be moved back a good couple inches. It's sitting right on top of his withers/shoulders. The last thing you want is for a saddle to start causing a baby pain.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post

Glad I'm not the only one who was not impressed with the riding quality.

He is super cute and looks like a nice prospect . However, I'm leery of how much the rider is focusing on keeping his head down and nose on the vertical - almost every stride there was some sort of movement or check with her hands, which to me is risky as you might get a horse that ends up dead in the mouth.

With a horse this young, I'd be focusing on lots of transitions off the leg with soft hands, and work on getting him forward and coming back to you mainly with the pressure of your seat and voice. Lots of trot poles with bendy exercises to start transitioning his balance to his hind end.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars