The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any thoughts on this ill weanling filly???

Friend of mine is on her way to the hospital with her young 4 month old filly.

Mid morning she went out and the 2 Moms and other baby came to her but this filly just stood there - not moving (very unusual for her). So she went to get her and all 4 legs are stocked up to the knees and hocks, she wouldnt move and when she did, it was like she had wooden legs that wouldnt bend. She also had some swelling in her jaw area in the lymph nodes.

Brought her inside, vet wouldnt come to see her but said to give her some banamine (5 cc's) and 20 cc's of penicillin. As it was Sunday he said no labs were open to pull blood on her and all he would do is give her Banamine and Penicillin anyhow

Her temperature fluctuated between 39-40, she was lethargic and wouldnt eat

The swelling got worse, the vet said to give her Dex and Naquasone.

In 5-6 hours in the stall, she didnt pee once and there was one small cow patty consistency plop of manure.

My friend's vet thought it was viral

I gave a vet friend of mine a call (he is on the other side of the country so no way for him to attend to the filly) and he suggested either pigeon fever or strangles were a possibility and recommended cold hosing twice a day and standing wraps on all 4 to try and get the swelling out and continue with the banamine and penicillin for 5 days and start to decrease the dose on the Dex and give it every 48 hours. He also suggested mild hand walking to try and get the circulation going in her legs. Bless his heart - he also had her email pics to him to see if he could assist with what he saw in the pictures

My friends vet finally came out around dinner time and said "Get her to to hospital now if you want to save her!" and they are now on their way

I feel so awful for her - she has been calling and texting her vet since mid morning to come out and he finally obliged at dinner time. IN the meantime she was calling me every hour or so with updates and asking what she should do

I am praying the filly pulls through for her as she is going through a really tough situation at home as well right now

Any thoughts on what might possibly be wrong with her??? The swelling isnt just around her joints - its right from the coronet band right up to the knees and hocks and beyond, stove pipe like

I will advise one she texts me and lets me know what tests are being run and what they think is wrong with her

I'm no vet, but it sounds like lymphangitis, though that doesn't usually affect all 4 limbs. Perhaps in a really bad case, it could. Lymphangitis is generally a result of some infection, often very minor, but the horse's system is "out of wack"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equine_Lymphangitis

Perhaps a reaction to some weed/plant or a viral type infection could also cause this type of response.

The vet response is shocking to me - what did he see that he didn't understand on the phone????? And he didn't explain anything to your friend??
    Last edited by 2tempe; Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Sheesh, that's horrible; it sounds incredibly similar to EIA. I hope it's not. I'm not sure if it affects foals that young.

I have heard that there have been pretty big outbreaks of EIA in Canada recently .... but I'm not sure if that's in your area in particular.

Fingers crossed for your friend.

I don't have a clue what could be going on. Very strange but i do have to say find a new vet gesshhh. I understand they are busy and my is very busy but anytime I call he comes in that day. Even if it's 2 in the morning he comes which he has had to do before on a holiday weekend.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Totally septic, maybe? And fire the vet

Well - no real update except the bloodwork came back 100% okay so no fingers to point in any direction there and they feel her small intestine may have "telescoped"???

She is heading out in another hour or so to go and see her and see what this morning brings

Im assuming EIA, WNV - anything like that - would show up on the bloodwork?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Well - no real update except the bloodwork came back 100% okay so no fingers to point in any direction there and they feel her small intestine may have "telescoped"???

She is heading out in another hour or so to go and see her and see what this morning brings

Im assuming EIA, WNV - anything like that - would show up on the bloodwork?
    EIA, WNV would only show up on bloodwork if you test for it specifically for those antibodies. If just a chem pannel and CBC were run, they could be normal. A CBC would help establish infection, suprised its nomal since all the lymph nodes were enlarged. Maybe viral still, I had a mare stock up on all 4 and she had a strain of rhino...resolved on its own in a week.

Lawsonia intracellularis?

I would think Lawsonia would show up in the total protein on the CBC.

I am jingling that it is not intussesception.

She might be too young for it to be a consideration, but I once had a yearling present with four stovepipe legs and a fever and it turned out to be due to ingesting hoary alyssum. I had never had a problem with it, but drought conditions had it coming up in a far corner of my pasture.

Hope they can figure it out ASAP!

When WNV was first out we had an older tb rescue here that came down with it, same symptoms as yours. He had a hard time walking though, very neurological, unbalanced and wobbly. But his jaw and throat area was swollen up huge, legs blown up.

Could be any sort of infection. Strangles will make the legs blow up too sometimes. I had some with a weird fever this year and went off their feed and that was it. They were over it like that and nothing else. Had one with a bad reaction to his hay, think it was the hoary alyssum in it. Once he was off the hay for a few weeks he was good. Lots of weird things this year. Good luck with the filly.

Any update on the filly?